New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,406 Posts
""The public interest in safety and Mr. Bonidy's liberty can be accommodated by modifying the regulation to permit Mr. Bonidy to "have ready access to essential postal services" provided by the Avon Post Office while also exercising his right to self-defense." ---Senior U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch

· Registered
3,216 Posts
I see no reason why a ccw holder can't carry in the post office.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
Carrying into most federal buildings is a pain in the neck unless u are a fed or one of the guys with their contracted security company and illegal without special permission even for local LEO. At least it's a secured environment. The NYS parks and ECB prohibitions are BS especially if you can during certain parts of the year. CCW should be allowed to carry in public areas of the post office buildings and in NYS/ECB areas.

· Registered
480 Posts

· Registered
4,001 Posts
The penally is a fine and/or 30 days according to what is posted. And only the Feds to enforce it. In your car, in the parking lot, it won't be enforced unless something else leads up to it. In other words, it won't be something they are actively pursuing and in a unfenced parking , the DA would have show you knew it or should have known it was post office property.

Its something left in the car out of sight, I wouldn't sweat it too much but why take a chance if u don't have to.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
Carrying into most federal buildings is a pain in the neck unless u are a fed or one of the guys with their contracted security company and illegal without special permission even for local LEO. At least it's a secured environment. The NYS parks and ECB prohibitions are BS especially if you can during certain parts of the year. CCW should be allowed to carry in public areas of the post office buildings and in NYS/ECB areas.
Federal trumps state law. I got that. There is no carry in post offices.

Now what about NYS Parks? Does Penal Law 400 Trumps any DEC Law?

(f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or
place of possession
, by any person when proper cause exists for the
issuance thereof;

· Registered
4,001 Posts

place of possession
issuance thereof;
Since I have never dealt with DEC law, I am not sure of the answer. I will attempt to look it up when i get a chance

· Registered
4,001 Posts

place of possession
issuance thereof;
A quick search I found this:

Conflicts of Law

"Several other approaches to choice of law have also been posited and accepted by some courts. The "center of gravity" approach, first adopted by the Court of Appeals of New York, might be characterized as a simplified version of the "most significant relationship" test of the Second Restatement. This approach authorizes courts to look at all the existing contacts between the various parties to a suit and various jurisdictions. Ultimately, the court should choose the law of whatever jurisdiction is most closely tied to the case."

It doesn't look good so far

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.