New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anyone tell me how i could get a federal background check done on myself ,or is that the same check they do when i buy a gun at the gun shop? any info will help .

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Are you asking to see if you should apply for pistol permit? Is there a reason your unsure what the federal background check will reveal? If for a pistol permit be honest with everything. If you can buy a rifle or shotgun then your in good shape.
If you could give more info on why you want to know it could be helpful to give a specific answer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
long story short ,when i was 14 i got in a little bit of trouble ,the file was exponged and sealed .i am now 25 and not so much as a speeding ticket other then that.i was told by the judge that i would never have to disclose that i had ever been in trouble .about a year and a half ago i decided to join the army ,i was honest and gave all the info i had about it .so far they cannot find it ,and to make matters worse my recruiter has "misplaced" the only paper work i had about it.it was in a different state if that makes a difference . i am also getting ready to apply for my pistol permit , and i am very confused as what to do about all of this . and yes i have bought rifles and shotguns from shops and never had an issue

·
6,795 Posts
Simple answer is to disclose it on your pistol permit application. Sealed records get brought up during investigation. If it turns out they cant find it then it still looks good on you for telling the truth. If you dont disclose it and they find it then your not going to be in a good place. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it helps ,thanks for the info usmcveteran ! i just wish i could get the army to figure it out so i could enlist or be told i cannot .

·
6,795 Posts
Not a problem.
Thats the Army for you lol jk. You could always call the jurisdiction where that matter was handled and have them send you more paperwork on the disposition of your case and give that to the Army.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i drove to the courthouse it was handled in (10 hour drive) and they had no info about it .all they could say was it was 11 years ago possibly it was lost in the transition from paper files to computers(sounds odd they could just lose a record) .so irritating lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Simple answer is to disclose it on your pistol permit application. Sealed records get brought up during investigation. If it turns out they cant find it then it still looks good on you for telling the truth. If you dont disclose it and they find it then your not going to be in a good place. I hope that helps.
USMC is correct. If you were in court for it, it will be in a record somewhere! I had a similar instance, only it was 20 years ago. It was buried in the archives, it didn't make it to the computer - it was still on paper. I contacted the original town court, because in Schenectady, you have to provide an original letter of deposition. Furthermore, in Schenectady, if you don't disclose but it is found, you are automatically denied.

Best to err on the side of caution on this one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts