New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone hope someone can help me. I have owned rifles for 15 yrs now, I recently got my pistol permit in feburary. I tried to buy a pistol a month ago and I got a delayed from the FBI background phone call that the dealer did, a few days later it went through. this wekend I tried to buy a rifle at the gun show for a sweet deal only to get screwed again with this FBI background phone call delayed. I do not have a record what so ever and it never happened to me before. What is the FBI delayed all about and what can I do to fix this its really getting annoying it just cost me a loss of buying a rifle I been wanting for a year at $300 less then anywhere I have seen it. Any help please?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hello everyone hope someone can help me. I have owned rifles for 15 yrs now, I recently got my pistol permit in feburary. I tried to buy a pistol a month ago and I got a delayed from the FBI background phone call that the dealer did, a few days later it went through. this wekend I tried to buy a rifle at the gun show for a sweet deal only to get screwed again with this FBI background phone call delayed. I do not have a record what so ever and it never happened to me before. What is the FBI delayed all about and what can I do to fix this its really getting annoying it just cost me a loss of buying a rifle I been wanting for a year at $300 less then anywhere I have seen it. Any help please?

Thanks
How did the delayed response have anything to do with you buying the rifle? I don't know of any gun shops that wouldn't hold it for you until they get a go/no go from the NICS

·
Registered
229 Posts
Someone with a similar name may have been added to the NCIC database causing them to have to look closer at your application then is normal. You may have to file for a UPIN and that will clear up any issues.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Happens. You get get some sort of ID number from the ATF so it doesn't happen any more. I forget what it's called, maybe someone else can add details.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
You need a PIN to separate you from the bad guys with your same name. Search these forums to find out how to get one.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Do you give your SSN# on the 4473? I hear this helps eliminate the "common last name" denial(waiting) reason.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Found this on another forum
"...Call FBI NICS at: 1-877-444-6427, dial 9 when you get the recording.

A HUMAN BEING will answer the phone. Ask he/she (I got a cute-sounding she when I called) and ask them to send you a VAF UPIN (Voluntary Appeal File) Request Form. They will ask for your mailing address to send you the forms and a fingerprint card. The operator I got was very friendly and helpful. ASK QUESTIONS. If you think there may be a reason why you are consistently delayed, ask them if they are likely to grant you the UPIN. If it's simply a matter of mistaken identity, chances are they will...."

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You may be delayed for several reasons, most only known not to the NICS center but to the FBI, but here is what I suggest to my customers. Fill out as much of the 4473 that you are comfortable with. The SSN is a big thing, this will seperate you John Smith from other John Smith's. If you don't want to or continue to get delayed then I suggest getting a UPIN number. The UPIN number gives the NICS Center/FBI a more complete picture of who you are and they retain it on file. Next time you buy a gun you tell the dealer you have a UPIN and make sure that gets included on the backround. Hope this helps, if you need any more info shoot me an email @ [email protected]

Bob

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'm glad I have a unique last name. I have never been delayed but I also give them my SSN.

James
Me too. Though I wear a badge for work that, when outside of word, gets a lot of "OMG IS THAT REALLY YOUR LAST NAME!? I LOVE THAT!!!!!1111111111oneoneone" But it usually is from females so I'll take it. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have never given my SSN on a NICS check and I have bought a half dozen rifles that require them. I guess no one fitting my description has committed any crimes so I'm lucky. It takes me about ten minutes to buy a rifle, half of that is BSing with the dealer.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I run my last name in the NYS DOC site and come back with numerous incarcerated African Americans....go figure! I have a UPIN and always add my SSN.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts