New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around a bit and can't find much. I'm planning on turkey hunting for the first time next month and I'm wondering what turkey loads you guys usually use? I have an 11-87 Sportsman so I'm limited to 3" rounds.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Federal with the flight control wad.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Winchester Supreme #5 with an Undertaker choke tube in a Rem 870. Been using them for years and have been lucky enough to drop 5 in the last 3 springs with them. I trust them in the woods out to 45 or 50 yards. I've patterned them out to 60 but they get a little spotty from my gun after that.
I used to use a single shot 10 ga but I like to practice and pattern my gun before the season and got tired of beating the hell out of my shoulder.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
I agree with Jeff and C-Shoot - Federal with the flight control wad performs really well.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I picked up some of the Federal Flight Controls at Beikirhs today, thanks guys.
What choke are you using? The ultra full chokes that you might run for a regular wad don't always pattern well with the flight control wad.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It patterned alright with a Full Rem Choke, I'm gonna try a Super full just to see what it does this weekend.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I use a mossberg ulti-full and it kind of sucks. Good enough to kill a bird but lots of room for improvement. My barrel is also over-bored. No idea if that affects it.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, my guess would be the overbore would affect it. I'm really just messing around at the moment, if it doesn't pattern better than the full I'll probably just run the full this spring.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I shoot steel shot with flight control with a modified choke in a longer barrel, still overbored, and it patterns awesome.

·
Registered
495 Posts
All. Please checkout Welcome, Shooter! : allaboutshooting.com Clark Bush gave me great info after I bought a choke he recommended he then gave me 3 different types of loads at different price points. I've got a Mossberg 500 `18" barrel with a Truglo Strut Stopper Extreme choke. Without digging into my safe, off hand I'm running #5's of Winchester.

While Clark's site told me what I was buying didn't tell me exactly what I was buying (ie. he changes the names up. SSX Strut Stopper Extreme follow that?). So I paid about $5 more for the choke than the best price on the net... BIG DEAL! He saved me HUNDREDS by giving me different shots to try. I will from now on buy every single choke from that man and I encourage you do the same!

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^That's pretty cool.

Well as much as I was hoping you were wrong Jeff, you weren't, lol

Here is the Federal Flight Control Wad 3" 12 ga at 35 yards with a Super Full Rem Choke

And the same round with a Full Rem Choke

So I'll be running the Full Rem Choke this year :)

We also had some fun filling the target with target loads, haha

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Thats why we try this stuff before going hunting i guess

·
Registered
241 Posts
in all my personal testing with a nef 10 gauge with x full turkey choke the best pattering was remington 12 ga 3 in duplex loads in 4x6 shot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts