New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, whats your favorites and why?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Ballistol, Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, and some old solvent I don't know the name of but my dad has been using since I was a kid.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Eezox for rust prevention/treatment.

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
Gunslick foam for bore, Militec 1 for lube. Hoppe's Semi Auto Solvent for everything else.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm really interested in this thread. I've been using the standard CLP/Breakfree oil since I got out of the Corps (the only thing we're allowed to use) and am anxious to try new things based on recommendations from the experts. Maybe post some links for where to buy some of this stuff online?

·
Registered
124 Posts
M-Pro 7 solvent - Break Free CLP - Remmoil - Shooters Choice grease - Hoppies Benchrest copper solvent (the only thing I use that gets me in trouble for smell)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I've used Hoppes No. 9 from wally world for pretty much everything, its worked for me, that stuff even did 90% of my cosmoline removal on my '42 Mosin

·
Registered
810 Posts
I, use RemOil and RemActionCleaner, they work well for me and I buy them @ the factory store in the Arms for a good price..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gunzilla or Froglube, carbon doesn't even stick after these. It's almost disappointing how easy they are to clean after ;)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Gunzilla or Froglube, carbon doesn't even stick after these. It's almost disappointing how easy they are to clean after ;)
That stuff sounds nice, I'll have to look for some.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been using hoppes #9, break free bore cleaning foam. They seem to work well for my needs. So many brands and types out there now!

I also use boresnakes, are they good to use or is a rod much better? I do not shoot anything precision at this point.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW nice features on the gunzilla!

Reduced weapon malfunctions in Iraq by 75%· Made from plants (no petroleum and no water)
· No hazardous chemicals
· Reduces friction, reduces wear, and increases the life of automatic guns
· Lowers operating temperatures of automatic guns (superior lubrication)
· Reduces jamming from carbon, sand, dust and freezing temperatures
· Leaves a non-ionic coating to reduce the attraction of sand & carbon
· Cleans, lubricates and protects all in one formula (no oil needed)
· Removes carbon, rust, copper, lead and plastic fouling in shotguns
· Cleans corrosive ammo
· Safe to leave on any metal and it does not evaporate
· Safe for use on Glock and other Polymer guns
· Doesn't irritate skin like most water based or petroleum based formulas
· Displaces water
· Low odor for indoor use
· Is not recognized as a human scent because Gunzilla is plant based
· For use in shotguns, automatic guns, rifles, handguns and muzzleloaders
· Replaces water, solvents and oiling when cleaning a muzzleloader
· Cleans carbon faster than traditional cleaners (breaks carbon bonds)
· No Teflon
· No Phenol
· No Silicone
· No Ammonia
· Non-corrosive
· Non- flammable
· Requires only 1/3 to ½ the liquid of normal cleaners
· Soap-and-water cleanup
· Increases the number of shots between cleanings in most guns
· Cleans shotgun choke tubes and stainless steel
· Airline (checked baggage) and air shipping safe
· No HAZMAT, no extra shipping, and no landfill fines

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
There are some other threads covering recommendations on cleaners. I picked up Gunslick foaming bore cleaner after receiving some recommendations on this forum in past threads and must say that it does a fairly good job. Just spray the stuff into the barrel of your pistol or long gun and let it sit for at least 30-45 minutes. It dissolves copper and powder fouling and gets the bore pretty clean on its own - just run a brush and some dry patches through and the bore is shiny. The bore cleaner doesn't have an odor which is another reason why I like it. I still like to follow up with some patches soaked with Break Free Powder Blast to get any additional residue out of the bore.

I use Rem Oil to clean exterior surfaces, and it works well on the stainless steel finish of my Ruger Super Redhawk. I've found that a quick spritz or two of Rem Oil onto the bore snake at the end of a cleaning does well to coat/protect the inside of the bore, but will only run it through if I'm storing for more than a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Gunslick foam for bore, Militec 1 for lube. Hoppe's Semi Auto Solvent for everything else.
Same here. I have tried lots of products.

Butch's bore shine also works good. I use Powder Blast to hose out pistol frames and AR-15 actions to clean them too.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sorry, I should have included this link in my post recommending Eezox.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

And no I'm not affiliated with either Eezox or that website. Just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts

Butch's bore shine also works good. I use Powder Blast to hose out pistol frames and AR-15 actions to clean them too.
Do you spray Powder Blast on the polymer portion of your pistols? I've always been overly cautious because I wasn't sure if Power Blast would do damage to plastics, just curious.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Hoppes #9 for the bore or heavy powder residue, RemOil for everything else. I want to get some Balistol as everyone seems to love in on YouTube, but I have yet to see it in the stores.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Do you spray Powder Blast on the polymer portion of your pistols? I've always be overly cautious because I wasn't sure if Power Blast would do damage to plastics, just curious.
Yup. I'm not saying it's 100% safe on 100% of plastics but I hose off my XD and keltec frames and its fine. It might make the surface a little dull until I wipe it with an oily rag but it's not going to eat away the gun or anything.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts