New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite big caliber revolver as it applies to home defense , hunting and just basicly hearing the pleasant " Boom " going off at the range ? I'm in to the big guns as I have a 454 casull , 44 mag 41 mag .i like all of these " hammers " because they are just a thrill to shoot plus they are very accurate while they sure aren't for every day carry , they are for having some of the best back yard fun ! Just sling lead across the back yard and hearing the gong ring is better than seeing a therapist IMHO ! So what's your favorite " Big Hammer " ?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 mag. When I got it, i debated with the .454 casull, but decided on the 44 mag because its more common (even including 45lc). i can run some heavy buffalo bore loads that are as powerful as 454 casull. i am looking to get a marlin 1894 in 44 mag with a 16" barrel to go with my ruger srha.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well, I don't own any. However I have handled a Bisley Grip Blackhawk. It sure did feel nice. That got me reading and researching. ( That's part of the fun isn't it?). What I dream about is a 45 Colt Bisley Grip Blackhawk and start reloading for it.
Someday. Sigh

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
What I want soon:

4" 500S&W Mag.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I have a Taurus Raging Bull in 454 casull. It has a 6" barrel and is as accurate as can be!

FUAC!!! FUBHO!!!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering if I was all alone shooting my big guns but I'm glad to see that some others enjoy flinging lead too !

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 mag. When I got it, i debated with the .454 casull, but decided on the 44 mag because its more common (even including 45lc). i can run some heavy buffalo bore loads that are as powerful as 454 casull. i am looking to get a marlin 1894 in 44 mag with a 16" barrel to go with my ruger srha.
As I already had the 44 mag when I was looking for another " big gun" to help make me feel better I found my Ruegr super red hawk in 454 casull and I fell in love with it , so I came home with it . Under full house loads it seems to like 325 grain bullets . I like the buffalo bore ammo but I much prefer jacketed bullets ( a lot less scrubbing the bore out from leading ) all in all it's till a real joy firing these " big hammers compared to a 9mm or something in that range !

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
As I already had the 44 mag when I was looking for another " big gun" to help make me feel better I found my Ruegr super red hawk in 454 casull and I fell in love with it , so I came home with it . Under full house loads it seems to like 325 grain bullets . I like the buffalo bore ammo but I much prefer jacketed bullets ( a lot less scrubbing the bore out from leading ) all in all it's till a real joy firing these " big hammers compared to a 9mm or something in that range !
I also noticed the Redhawk in 45 Colt. I liked that as well and the grip did fit me.
I know, I got this thing about 45 Colt. But seriously, take a look at what you can load it to in a Revolver that will handle it!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Love my magnum revolvers ! S&W 2.5" Mod.19-2/ 357, S&W 6" 586 / 357mag.,Ruger 8" Super Blackhawk 44mag., S&W 5" ported 629 / 44mag.
There is nothing more therapeutic than the report of a magnum and watching the steel cutout of a ram swing on it's chain at fitty yards!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have a older stainless 44mag Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel, It's a fun gun to shoot. I'm looking for a stainless Redhawk in 41 magnum. Once I get the reloading equipment together I'll shoot the larger calibers a lot more often.
Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Box Kitchen utensil

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I havent shot a handgun over 357 (in revolvers), but am looking at a 44 magnum. PReferably an Alaskan or some sort of Ruger so it can handle the Buffalo Bore loads.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Currently, the largest caliber I own is a snub nose k frame clone in .357 mag, but I really want a Roger Alaskan. Just cuz.

·
Registered
337 Posts
629 Mountain Gun, 629 Classic DX, 329 .44 Mags. Old type Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag. The 329 is most often loaded with .44 special, but I have some Garrett Hammerheads that are made for the 329 and the Mountain Gun. My son is applying for his license and will get the Mountain Gun.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I enjoy shooting 44spl ammo out of my 44mag Redhawk. I use to use this gun for a carry gun ewhile out fishing or hikeing, I picked up a Glock 20 - 10mm with the fifteen round mags to carry instead. More then twice to round capacity before I'd need to reload if the SHTF.
I alway have my S&W 642 in my right front pocked Every Day/All Day.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can't pick just one of my favorites. These 4 revolvers mean an awful lot to me.

Colt New Service 45LC

Colt SAA 2nd Gen 45LC

S&W Model 29 44Mag

S&W Model 27 357Mag

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC. Stoked up or cowboy action she's fun to play with. Not a great carry gun though, this is one time where barrel length matters a lot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts