New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

Now I know what my father spent his govt. money on from the B-2 project he worked on for so long when I was a kid. My father called me up to say he wants to send me his Mauser he sporterized in 83. It's been chambered in 30-06, ghost ring sights, heavy barrel, but I'm not sure what has been done to the stock.

Should this become a hunting rifle? A once a month range rifle? This will be my first foray into 30-06, and I suppose I'll be venturing into reloading as well at some point.

I know there are a lot of arguments on either side of the sporter Mauser debate, but I haven't even seen the thing yet. Any thoughts? Hopefully I haven't already offended the purists of WWI/II weaponry.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It should be a regular shooter (depending on how expensive ammo is and how much you can afford) as should all firearms, if you are going to have it, use it, become a good shot with it and enjoy it, use it for what its meant for, shoot it until it's a smoothbore and then get a new barrel and keep on going I will never understand people who buy firearms, or expensive cars (like Corvettes) and then take them out once a year on the sunniest day of the year to pop off a few rounds (or drive it around the block) enjoy everything you have completely the way it was intended, you can't take any of it with you at the end anyway.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ask your dad if he wants to to keep it our use it. i would want to see a pic of you the rifle and a deer if i gave it to you sporterized!

on a side note ... wow b2 project, cool dude

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If it has a heavy barrel, it may be a bit too much for hunting in most areas. If it has good aperture sights, it's probably a good paper puncher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts