New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Facebook Sends a Message to Page Owners... It's All About Money | The D.C. ClotheslineThe D.C. Clothesline

Message from Concealed Nation:

"Death may come to 2nd Amendment pages such as ours, as Facebook is looking to force paid 'boosts' of each post we put out so that you can see them. This paid reach isn't cheap, and flat out isn't something we can afford. It's just business, and it comes down to dollars. However, this will probably have a huge impact on our reach very soon and may mean the end if Facebook doesn't change their minds."

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I can vouch for this. The reach on our FB page has gone down considerably the past 3 months or so. Some page fans have told us their settings for our page had changed without their knowledge. FB is definitely manipulating what people see.

While they have every right to charge for their services, the beef people are having is that FB charges to increase page "likes" (followers) and are now hiding posts from those followers. That's not right.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a FB replacement enter the market in the near future.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I didn't read the article because I can't read .... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that FB is a democrapic run company that is ALSO participating in the destruction of the 2nd amendment and America??? Just a guess .... what would one expect from someone with the last name Zuckerburgerlargefryandchocolateshake anyways??

....................................................EDIT: OH C'MON!!! ^^^^^ That is SO a word!!! Stupid spell check ....

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that FB is a democrapic run company that is ALSO participating in the destruction of the 2nd amendment and America???
LOOK OUT BELOW... your limb just broke.

Zuckerberg is fairly conservative. I'm not sure he'd meet the "purity" standards of conservatism around here, but aside from his views on immigration reform, it would seem that he's mostly on our side... Mark Zuckerberg's Political Status: It's Complicated

·
Registered
153 Posts
The biggest problem I have with this is I don't see how it is legal to charge one group but not another....

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
That's why I only post on the anti-social web sites. Screw political correctness.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How do you know they are not?
Why shouldn't they be able to charge for the service they provide?
I have a few friends with pages for their businesses and they make money off of it and don't pay a penny...

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Most internet users are like brown bears. Once they taste beef then you have to either give them free cattle or hunt them.
What I mean is that most people expect lots of free stuff in exchange for side advertisement, leads and other forms of
volume based revenue models. If a company tries to force people into buying something in exchange for what many see as free
entertainment then they will loose business at the speed of light.
Most folks who are willing to pay want zero wait and zero advertisement and only a few exceptions like the cable companies
do charge and on top they keep the advertisement. Around the world people don't buy cable/dish subscriptions or if they do
they want zero annoyances and instead they have over the air/satellite and nice DVRs to skip adds. Here in the US many
people have it because the NFL, NBA and others have them by the balls and like the sports too much to send the vendors
take a hike. Facebook will fold like others before. It is just a matter of time. They are loosing business everyday.

Being super popular among a large amount of people one doesn't care is not that important anymore. Only for those who
know how to turn that into revenue that becomes important and then the media becomes nothing else but a big advertisement
platform. It is a well known cycle of life and death in business terms.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Why shouldn't they be able to charge for the service they provide?
My takeaway from reading the article is that page owners are upset about being asked to pay for something they already paid for. There are different types of advertising on FB. You can pay to increase page 'likes'. You can pay to increase the number of people who see a particular post. You can pay to direct users to your website. Etc. If someone pays to boost page 'likes' you would assume those people will be seeing your posts. FB has been changing their algorithms in such a way that user's settings are changed without their knowledge/consent so that they no longer see all or some of that business's posts. FB wants that business to pay - again - to have their page fans see their posts.

It's not a matter of businesses not willing to pay to advertise. It's a matter of businesses paying to advertise, then FB blocking people from seeing the ads unless the business ponies up even more coin.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Is that the terms of your parole?
No parole of any kind. I am here because I have friends some I know in person and everyone knows how much I hate politics anyway but the forum is so infested with politics that we end up gravitating around those discussions and folks make mistakes in the heat of the moment.
Some come back and some don't banned or not. With all the BS with NYS and other factors we lost some great contributors to this forum because of that. I mean, really knowledgeable people that continue to post in other forums.
So for me is just a reminder to do what I like the most that is talking about firearms and shooting sports and leave the politics, religion, race, cop bashing, and other useless arguments for others.
At the moment Mike is very kind to give the forum the type of liberties we have but at the same time it is getting to a place where it is not the best place to be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts