New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
If I recall correctly, adding one to say, a pre-ban mag constitutes manufacturing a magazine and would be considered "post-ban".

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I recall correctly, adding one to say, a pre-ban mag constitutes manufacturing a magazine and would be considered "post-ban".
You can add extensions to a pre-ban mag. The only time you're manufacturing a magazine is if you make one from scratch or use a preban and alter it so that it no longer works in the firearm it was intended to be used in but works in a different gun.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Jeff is correct.

Its not manufacturing a magazine unless you alter it to no longer work in the original firearm it was designed for.

These are perfectly legal to install on any preban AR mag. Just as installing a grip extension + baseplate on a preban Glock mag.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how durable they are.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
For $5 I might try a couple.
my concern would be the spring hanging up on the magazine body's floorplate tabs. Unlike most pistol mags which have the floor keeper on the outer edge of the mag, the M-16 Mag's inward tabs may catch the springs.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
You can add extensions to a pre-ban mag. The only time you're manufacturing a magazine is if you make one from scratch or use a preban and alter it so that it no longer works in the firearm it was intended to be used in but works in a different gun.
Thank you for clarifying. I just remember a thread on here where someone seemed knowledgeable on the subject.

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for clarifying. I just remember a thread on here where someone seemed knowledgeable on the subject.
There is an ATF letter stating what the federal level considers manufacturing a magazine and it's basically what I posted above.

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my concern would be the spring hanging up on the magazine body's floorplate tabs. Unlike most pistol mags which have the floor keeper on the outer edge of the mag, the M-16 Mag's inward tabs may catch the springs.
Good thought. I haven't considered that. I wonder if the extension puts some sort of ramp or guide near the tabs to guide the spring around them.

I guess I would also have to go with a +5 or +10% spring too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.