New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks ! I am thinking of putting a extension tube on my 870......Anyone know the best drill size to use to remove the dimples that hold the follower in ?? Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Supposedly it's a 3/16 but most people report having to go to a 1/4. I've done the job a couple of times (not my own) with the dremel instead of drilling (or a combination of both) and had it come out perfectly. Before you decide you want to drill or dremel though, check out the post with the pictures by a user called Wetterman in this thread.
Problem with 2-shot extention tube - Remington 870 ??? - Removing Dimples from 870 Express to instal -

Interesting method. Especially depending on your finish it might well be the better way to go. I've seen others report using this method since that old thread and it seems to get good results.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supposedly it's a 3/16 but most people report having to go to a 1/4. I've done the job a couple of times (not my own) with the dremel instead of drilling (or a combination of both) and had it come out perfectly. Before you decide you want to drill or dremel though, check out the post with the pictures by a user called Wetterman in this thread.
Problem with 2-shot extention tube - Remington 870 ??? - Removing Dimples from 870 Express to instal -

Interesting method. Especially depending on your finish it might well be the better way to go. I've seen others report using this method since that old thread and it seems to get good results.
Thanks Hex ! I appreciate it......Not sure what to do now, seems like there is 3 methods that share equal interest.....Drill, Grind and the socket method.....I am a little skeptical about beating a socket down the tube incase I bulge it like that one guy did....That would be my luck....

I like your idea of just using a dremel.....Prolly only takes a few mins and you don't bugger up the finish on the outside correct ??

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hex I sent you a PM :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts