New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a security guard on long island and also do vip bodyguarding for the firm i work for can i have a extendable baton???

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Asps are illegal in NY. Unless there is some security guard provision, then no.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I always get worried when someone that is LICENSED asks us if he/she can do something in the scope of THEIR duties.
(rant over).

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thir are no laws and or code in ny law that is directd spicificly for security gards but i have seen gards with them b 4

·
Registered
164 Posts
i am a peace officer in niagara county there are police baton certs you can get, just like the hand cuff cert. which will allow you to carry a baton as for the extendable ones you can buy them from some companys with credentials. (weather or not your client will let you carry thats a whole diffrent story) and you will be liabale if you use one, remember as a security guard you have no more or less authrity as a everyday citizen. if you hurt someone while on duty self defence will most likely not hold up in court certification or not. ive seen guys get jammed up on this a thousand times. its best not to do it but thats my opinion. good luck

*sorry for the spelling lol

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Are extendable batons illegal in NY? I never was able to find a law about them was wondering if anyone else could so I could read it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
§ 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:

(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or

b. Section 265.01 shall not apply to possession of that type of billy commonly known as a "police baton" which is twenty-four to twenty-six inches in length and no more than one and one-quarter inches in thickness by members of an auxiliary police force of a city with a population in excess of one million persons or the county of Suffolk when duly authorized by regulation or order issued by the police commissioner of such city or such county respectively. Such regulations shall require training in the use of the police baton including but not limited to the defensive use of the baton and instruction in the legal use of deadly physical force pursuant to article thirty-five of this chapter. Notwithstanding the provisions of this section or any other provision of law, possession of such baton shall not be authorized when used intentionally to strike another person except in those situations when the use of deadly physical force is authorized by such article thirty-five.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
§ 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:

(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or

b. Section 265.01 shall not apply to possession of that type of billy commonly known as a "police baton" which is twenty-four to twenty-six inches in length and no more than one and one-quarter inches in thickness by members of an auxiliary police force of a city with a population in excess of one million persons or the county of Suffolk when duly authorized by regulation or order issued by the police commissioner of such city or such county respectively. Such regulations shall require training in the use of the police baton including but not limited to the defensive use of the baton and instruction in the legal use of deadly physical force pursuant to article thirty-five of this chapter. Notwithstanding the provisions of this section or any other provision of law, possession of such baton shall not be authorized when used intentionally to strike another person except in those situations when the use of deadly physical force is authorized by such article thirty-five.
holy crap I didn't know certain slingshots and throwing stars were also illegal in NYS, thanx for the quoting. what are gravity and switchblade knives? I know the mall here sells tons of those ones that have the spring assists on them, but according to what I asked the shop owner they aren't illegal because a button does not open them, you still have to open it up by using the blade, how true is this?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
4. "Switchblade knife" means any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife. 5. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have had lik 2 hrs of training with cufs but not a cert class and i am allowed to carry them got ok from employer... i know all my laws about selfe defence and what not but when i am doing vip body garding contracts i am abligated incrtian cases to use phycal force not deadly to quickly redtrain the threat and get the clint to safty and in some cases batons are a vry good way to help cary out arm locks and what not wher can i go to take this class??? spelling is bad sry

*sorry for the spelling lol[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
This sounds like a question that your employer should answer for you. Not a lot of people on this site are in the security business.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
The laws are so vague I'm not sure weather or not they are legal >_> I guess that is NYS plan all along lol

The knives at the mall have to buttons, but they do have a tab on the blade that when pushed on, flips the blade out sideways and locks it into place with a little metal tab, the flipping motion of the blade is spring assisted but must be first activated by hand.

like this:

CRKT Ignitor T Spring Assisted Knife, Plain Edge, CR6860 - YouTube

so I guess that is illegal? how can they sell them all over the place in a public mall then?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If you apply pressure to the blade instead of a button in the handle it's not a switchblade.

Also, there are exemptions for possession of an auto knife if you have a valid hunting or fishing license.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
O good, so they aren't technically illegal then. I don't have a fishing or hunting license yet (I have my hunters safety course, just need to buy a license) so I should be good anyway. I'm glad, I didn't want to say anything before but I have a ton of these knives, I like to collect them lol, but they all need pressure applied to the blade, no button, so I'm good.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Sometimes, I wish the state of NY was a tiny bag of dog poo so I could light it on fire and leave it on Bloomberg's doorstep so I could laugh as he crushes it under his boot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
TS after reading your responce and seeing what type of security you do whay dont you just get your armed guard card and call it a day. lol, no cuffs or batons needed then. just a thought. after the price of the cuff and baton class and not to mention ur guard card and 8 hour annuals every year it will most likely all cost the same in the end anyway??? food for thought.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
iv been told i ned licens and then iv bn told its just our right illagl
thir are no laws and or code in ny law that is directd spicificly for security gards but i have seen gards with them b 4
What?

I have no idea what you were trying to type there, but unless you are licensed to have an asp then you cannot carry it. Some types of guards are licensed for carrying them while others aren't.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts