New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Springfield M1A Socom ?? Nobody around here stocks one,so I can't handle one,and i hate that fact...! I am in a wheelchair and like shorter rifles......Pros or cons anyone ?? Thank you !

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Good shooter. For me it was too heavy so, to my surpise, after I tried the saiga in 308 I sold it.
I took the rails off to see if that would make it more manageable but didn't end up fit me well.
Hey, great quality but I don't know... they are expensive too.
The saiga is lighter, very accurate and consistent for that kind of purpose. No preban mags but for me that is not an issue. I do not like 20 rounders for a 308.
The socoms are picky sometimes with the rails, and defenetly will not consider other than full size. POF makes a very nice piston that is very accurate. FN also has some nice carbines in 308 like the scar.
I think there is a guy in youtube that does a review of the M1A socom, Some of those dressed like hallowing that go ruining and shooting in the dessert but good review nevertheless. Nuts Fancy or somethign like that I think..

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.......That is great information,I appreciate it ! It's too bad none of the gun shops,atleast near me have them in stock so I could check one out in person.....Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have played with them numerous times. They are great feeling, shooting, and looking guns!! Quiet expensive $1,200 plus at my local gun store.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Any M1A is fun to shoot. This model is a pretty loud for those around you if you're at a shooting range, but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had the pleasure to shoot one,geez I sure wish someone around here carried one so I could see it,I hate to lay out that kind of money without even handling one first......Any suggestions ?? Another question,can you shoot mid grade ammo out of them or do you need to shoot top grade ?? I imagine once you start rattling off clips it can get costly....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hands down, no questions asked...it's gonna be my next rifle. After handling the Mini-14 and falling in love with the action, it's just made me want it even more. Bud's has every model except for the green one (which is what I want) back in stock.

I have played with them numerous times. They are great feeling, shooting, and looking guns!! Quiet expensive $1,200 plus at my local gun store.
I don't even think you can buy a used one that cheap. The lowest new price I've seen has been $1500.00'ish...and that's low from what I see on Gunbroker. $1,200 is an absolute steal--name that shop, please!! :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hands down, no questions asked...it's gonna be my next rifle. After handling the Mini-14 and falling in love with the action, it's just made me want it even more. Bud's has every model except for the green one (which is what I want) back in stock.

I don't even think you can buy a used one that cheap. The lowest new price I've seen has been $1500.00'ish...and that's low from what I see on Gunbroker. $1,200 is an absolute steal--name that shop, please!! :)
I'm almost positive it was for 1200 I might be wrong. But its collectors guns and ammo in fishkill.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man $1,200 does sound cheap.....!! You better jump on it for that price,you can always buy that green stock seperately,I have seen them for sale.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check out this site for M1A info.

m14forum.com/

Probably thee best resource for current and potential M1A owners.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it's the one with the old man I'm thinking of he's shooting a full size M1A.

I love that vid. Gotta love half dollar size holes in concrete @ 250yrds with clear exit's too. Kind of the reason I havent shot yet as the only local range is an indoor 100yrd that I don't think I'd be welcome at. LoL.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I checked one (Springfield Armory SOCOM .308) out today at Gander Mountain sports here in the Syracuse area. That is a long distance to travel from Chemung County just to handle one (I doubt you would buy it from Gander Mountain at $2,200), but if you are really interested it might be worth the trip. I am very interested in getting one now too, however I have just begun to research and it will be a while. Seems like it would probably need bipod mount due to the weight... but it seemed like a great gun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are going the bipod route and just looking for a distance/target shooter you can get a used full sized M1A cheaper if you look around. The SOCOM is ment for close quarters combat but still be accurate over distance. Great weapom but the premium is in it;s manuverability in thight spaces over the 22" barrled standart M1A.

If you have your heart set on a shorter barrel there is a M1A "scout squad" as well that is a couple franklin cheaper than the SOCOM's as well that dont have the full rail system but do have a small optical rail built into the hand guard and "versa pod" makes a bipod rail with a built in sling swivel that replaces the factory swivel

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Now, I don't have any experience with the short versions, but I did have the opportunity once to handle a SOCOM II with a top rail, and it was enough to convince me that a SOCOM 16 may suit me better. May only add two pounds, but they're pretty far forwards.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Shot a friends Socom a bit when we were trying to figure out why it kept jamming. Part of the operating rod was rubbing where the rail mounts around the barrel. The main culprit was the operating rod hitting the front sling swivel stud inside the stock. I really didn't care for the look or feel compared to my M1A.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts