New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Rensselaer county and it turns out 334 people registered their "assault weapons"
My question is does it say you can't add features to a registered "post" ban rifle as a "preban" rifle would already have evil features? I thought as long as the rifle was legal at the time of registration then adding features were not an issue? Example is a SCAR 16 with muzzle brake and non collapsible stock. Then you registered it and put on a collapsible stock. It was legal prior to safe act and then you register it and can have "evil" features. Does it say anywhere you can't do this?? Is the post ban rules still apply on registered AR's? I don't see that anywhere
..http://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/archive/assets/documents/safeactfaq.pdf
NY Safe Act Guide

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Ugh.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the helpful answers!
Turns out my neighbor is an Emergency room physician and asked me this question yesterday as he had to register or risk losing his medical license if he was caught with his AR's and Ak's.
So does anyone besides these three helpful people have any clue?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Simply put. If it's registered you can have all the features if you so choose. If it's not registered and your mag isn't locked, your not suppose to have any.

And apparently Troop L longIsland claims even if you don't have any features you still can't have a detachabale mag.

:ack: Might as well just swing for the fences :leave:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Once a rifle was registered before the registration deadline because it met the states definition of an assault rifle, the state assumes it was a full featured rifle with a detachable mag to begin with according to the law. Once its registered, you can have anything you want on it. I have read the law a million times and this is what I come away with.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
OP asks a good question. There isn't much experience to it and I've never seen it asked or answered before. If the thing is already grandfathered, can you add additional evil features as well to the same lower?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
OP asks a good question. There isn't much experience to it and I've never seen it asked or answered before. If the thing is already grandfathered, can you add additional evil features as well to the same lower?
There is no such thing as Grandfathered anymore. either register (too late, that passed) build a bastardized version, or get rid of it.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Well considering it is already registered it cannot get any assaultier by adding more features.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
And apparently Troop L longIsland claims even if you don't have any features you still can't have a detachabale mag.[/QUOTE]

Not Troop L again :ack:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the insight. We discussed that once it was registered then what difference does it make? That seems to be the thought process. I know the SAFE act says as long as it was legal prior to the registration. His AK was preban and his AR was postban with pinned and welded muzzle brake. He figured it didn't matter anymore about the stock if it collapsed or not. I don't consider him a coward. he is 29 lives in NY and has a wife. Why would he possibly risk his Medical license? NY would make an example out of him otherwise.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks for the insight. We discussed that once it was registered then what difference does it make? That seems to be the thought process. I know the SAFE act says as long as it was legal prior to the registration. His AK was preban and his AR was postban with pinned and welded muzzle brake. He figured it didn't matter anymore about the stock if it collapsed or not. I don't consider him a coward. he is 29 lives in NY and has a wife. Why would he possibly risk his Medical license? NY would make an example out of him otherwise.
He's not the only one with a job and family. His situation is not unique. He is the reason why Pols get away with the stuff they do. That's why you're getting the answers in a crude fashion.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's not the only one with a job and family. His situation is not unique. He is the reason why Pols get away with the stuff they do. That's why you're getting the answers in a crude fashion.
Actually not true. If he gets his license revoked then he can't just get another job as a physician again. Same as if he was a Dentist or an Attorney, Nurse, Judge, etc.
When licensed through the State of NY for your profession you are held to the mercy of the State to begin with. So the question asked had NOTHING to do with the fact he personally registered. It wasn't being asked if he did something right or wrong. It merely asked what he can do with his registered weapon.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Actually not true. If he gets his license revoked then he can't just get another job as a physician again. Same as if he was a Dentist or an Attorney, Nurse, Judge, etc.
When licensed through the State of NY for your profession you are held to the mercy of the State to begin with. So the question asked had NOTHING to do with the fact he personally registered. It wasn't being asked if he did something right or wrong. It merely asked what he can do with his registered weapon.
He's special? And has more at stake?

IIRC, There's nothing in the law to state that he can't add features but is he suddenly not concerned with his license being revoked if a LEO or DA doesn't see it that way?

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
That's was his right to register ! According to FAUC his word is the law ! But some others including my self say FUAC and decided to go another route ! And follow the so called letter of the law ? Either way it's a turkey shoot IMO if you're not a thug or a gangster you shouldn't have a issue ! But then aging FUAC made all of us Criminals over night :leave:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's special? And has more at stake?

IIRC, There's nothing in the law to state that he can't add features but is he suddenly not concerned with his license being revoked if a LEO or DA doesn't see it that way?
He is concerned that is why I asked the question!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Thank you for the helpful answers!
Turns out my neighbor is an Emergency room physician and asked me this question yesterday as he had to register or risk losing his medical license if he was caught with his AR's and Ak's.
So does anyone besides these three helpful people have any clue?
The registration period has long since passed.

TOO LATE!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts