New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a bear that's become a bit of a nuisance. He hasn't taken out $15,000 worth of bees, but the latest is that he smashed four of the screens in the screened porch. Two of them just need new mesh, but two others have to be replaced completely (and they're custom-made). The new pup also won't go outside if the bear has been in the vicinity of the house - little coward.

In the past, he's chewed the kids' playset, took chunks out of a stack of rigid insulation, broken the lid to the dumpster (which we finally got rid of), and ripped up the exposed Tyvek on the side of the house that's waiting for me to get around to the stone façade.

I feel bad, because we've built the house in the middle of the woods, pretty much invading bear territory. But I'm getting tired of his antics, and concerned about the fact that we can't easily scare him off. He just sits there and looks at you. I've started keeping the rifle loaded and handy at night when we open the windows, and if he comes into the actual house that's one thing. What I'm unsure and undecided about is if I want to hunt him down come bear season.

Opinions? For or against?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I would say if he is clawing at your house, he is testing the waters for an invasion. You may not have a choice in defending your family soon enough.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
moth balls discourage animals, although they don't last long outside

and I certainly would not invite the DEC around ...
got a .30-.30 ..??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just had some friends who had a problem with a black bear getting into their beehives. They called the DEC, and were told they could "take care of it". Proviso was that the DEC would come take the entire animal after the fact. A 12 guage slug later and the DEC came to pick up the bear. It went to a college for study. I'm not sure how hit and miss the DEC are for dealing with something like this but I don't think their usual MO is to come over to your house and do it themselves. They aren't animal control.

EDIT: Well i just saw you're in PA so I have to say I have no idea what the DEC is like there. But if you are going to wait for hunting season then I personally see absolutely nothing ethically wrong with taking the bear out. I think ethically you have a pretty good case for taking him out now due to property damage and endangerment but my advice would be to check with your DEC first and see what the guidelines are for dealing with nuisance animals. Better to try to do it on the legal side first. If legality fails, only then does it become an "ethical" choice IMHO.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Do you ever see him during the day? And how far away are your neighbors?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I would suggest aversive conditioning as it always seemed to work well when we had bear problems when I was younger, and Im also a large proponent of the "if Im not going to eat it Im not going to kill it" philosophy, Im also the tool that scoops bugs up and takes them outside instead of smashing them.

Try airhorns or whistles everytime you see him, if you make the area irritating enough for him to be there he will stop coming back. Maybe some sort of foul tasting deterent on the areas hes been chewing?

Maybe give something like this a go 5 Rounds 12 Gauge 2-3/4 Inch Zombie Slug - 1003334, 12 Ga Ammo at Sportsman's Guide, blank round but huge muzzle flash and noise. Best of luck with your situation, I hope it can work out well for both you and the bear.

"You know, in ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men."
-Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Here I have friends, full time farmers, who are permitted to hunt deer all year round if the deer are being pests by causing damage to their orchards.
I wonder if the DEC would allow this to apply to a bear doing agricultural damage, (the bee hives would apply.) Or maybe they would assist on trapping and relocating a nuisance bear.

By the way, if a black bear wants in to your house, you don't have to worry about an open window....they'll come through a wall!
The only way to keep them out of our camp after they ripped through metal siding and a plywood sheathed stud wall to get in was to set up an electric fence when we were not there.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I don't see why not. If it's bear season then that bear better start running. If you don't want to kill him then maybe call animal control or something to get rid of him (e.g. relocate him)? No sure how that works though.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I would suggest aversive conditioning as it always seemed to work well when we had bear problems when I was younger, and Im also a large proponent of the "if Im not going to eat it Im not going to kill it" philosophy, Im also the tool that scoops bugs up and takes them outside instead of smashing them.

Try airhorns or whistles everytime you see him, if you make the area irritating enough for him to be there he will stop coming back. Maybe some sort of foul tasting deterent on the areas hes been chewing?

Maybe give something like this a go 5 Rounds 12 Gauge 2-3/4 Inch Zombie Slug - 1003334, 12 Ga Ammo at Sportsman's Guide, blank round but huge muzzle flash and noise. Best of luck with your situation, I hope it can work out well for both you and the bear.

"You know, in ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men."
-Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
This is the way to do it. Aversive conditioning will work, try some loud blanks first and if that is not enough use rubber buck shot on it. It won't come back!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have heard differing views on bear meat maybe you can settle them for me. Shoot the bear and eat it or if you want we could have a BBQ.

Relocate him to my belly with some nice ice cold beers.

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We did just get the Mossberg Silver Reserve, but it's in 20 ga. I'm guessing there's a blank or rubber bullet similar to the one posted - maybe I'll try that. We see him all the time, at various hours of day and night.

Electric fence sounds expensive, especially since the kids' playset and trampoline are about 80 feet from the house. (And I take spiders and beetles outside, but not hornets/wasps. I'm a bug racist.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm all for relocation!!! Your in his woods, natural habitat. In sure I'll get flamed for saying this but please consider it. Thank you.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reality check, this isn't a panda, grizzly or some other endangered bear. This is a Black Bear. It's an oversized raccoon. Stop thinking about Yogi or some Disney character. I love bears. I would never hunt one for sport. I think i've been mistaken for a bear on occasion, But, this animal has indentified your property as a good place to forage. It's only a matter of time before it does real damage. I see no ethical problem putting it down.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
OP, Have you even called the Game Commission to report a nuisance bear? That should be your first step.

If you decide to follow the advice of some above, please. PM me your name and address cause I can get $250 for a tip on a poacher....
I'm kidding, but you can't legally hunt the bear until this fall. Call the PGC.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
We did just get the Mossberg Silver Reserve, but it's in 20 ga. I'm guessing there's a blank or rubber bullet similar to the one posted - maybe I'll try that. We see him all the time, at various hours of day and night.

Electric fence sounds expensive, especially since the kids' playset and trampoline are about 80 feet from the house. (And I take spiders and beetles outside, but not hornets/wasps. I'm a bug racist.)
They have them in 20 gauge as well from what I saw, glad to hear Im not the only one to take pity on spiders and the like, I can be understanding of hornets/wasps/bees, Im deathly allergic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts