New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone from that area? I contacted the Sherriff to ask about CCW in the Clinton Co. / Essex Co. area and have not heard a peep. I have property in Clinton Co., Keeseville to be exact, and will be retiring there not soon enough. Any info on the laws would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Steve,

I'm originally from Franklin County which as you know neighbors both Clinton and Essex. I received my pistol permit originally in Franklin County and used to carry concealed there all the time. My sister lives in Plattsburgh and whenever I go up to visit I have my pistol on me. No problems. I go to Champlain Centre, etc... and never had an issue. Of course nobody knew I was carrying, but in those counties, the LE seem to be 'gun friendly.'

Darren

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you have an existing pistol license in NY you transfer it over. The judge in those counties decides if it's restricted or not. If you don't have a pistol license you need to find 4 references in the county and may be required to live a year before you can apply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I do have my license here in Suffolk Co. My property is in Keeseville. Darren I know Plattsburgh well and the mall. I'm up there at least 5 times a year. My dad lives in Port Kent and 1 brother lives in Essex. So is it an easy thing to get it transfered over when I get out of here?
Later, Steve

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I do have my license here in Suffolk Co. My property is in Keeseville. Darren I know Plattsburgh well and the mall. I'm up there at least 5 times a year. My dad lives in Port Kent and 1 brother lives in Essex. So is it an easy thing to get it transfered over when I get out of here?
Later, Steve
No need to get fingerprinted or character references. A bonus having a pistol license upstate it's lifetime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you'll have no problem with the transfer. I've transferred twice now. Once from Franklin to Albany. Second time from Albany to Rensselaer, which is still being processed. It's kind of hokey the way they do it though. You have to fill out an amendment form in your current/previous county. On it, there is a check box for a transfer and a space for your new address. You give the county clerk (Suffolk in your case) the form and two checks for $5 each (true stuff here - I couldn't make this up!) Once check made out to the Suffolk County Clerk and the second to your new county clerk, Clinton I'm assuming. Obviously, you have to have moved already and have proof of your new residence. I believe the legal requirements say that you need to initiate your transfer within 10 days, but that isn't strictly enforced. I think I was almost 20 days over this last time. The Suffolk county clerk will then send all your records along with the check for the Clinton county clerk, to Clinton county. Once that reaches it's destination, the Clinton county clerk will either call you or send you a letter stating that you have to come in to hand in your current permit and pick up your new one. Not difficult, just a pain in the a$$!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm probably talking out my @ss but since you have a Suffolk permit you may be able to request an unrestricted once you move. Just reading into NorthCountry's post a little....All new permits come restricted The word NEW caught my eye. A little icing on your retirement cake :) good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm probably talking out my @ss but since you have a Suffolk permit you may be able to request an unrestricted once you move. Just reading into NorthCountry's post a little....All new permits come restricted The word NEW caught my eye. A little icing on your retirement cake :) good luck
I agree. In fact all new Franklin Co. permits (Clinton Co.'s Western neighbor) are issued as unrestricted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clinton County has in general only issued restricted permits for the past 30 years When I got my license in 1983 that is all they would issue unless you where in
law enforcement.Does anyone know of any person other than law enforcement being able to get an unrestricted license in Clinton County?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Transferred my pistol permit from Saratoga County to Essex County, went from restricted to no restrictions. :D Essex County was very easy to deal with...not sure about Clinton County.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts