New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know in which zone Erwin WMA in Steuben County is located? I used to hunt there and would like go return but can' recall the zone. I believe it is 8X.

I don't know about you guys but I've always had trouble narrowing down the specific zones based on the crude descriptions given on the DEC website. Does anyone know of an easier way to do this than tracing out the zone on a map based on the road boundaries given by the DEC?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, looks like you're right. I still had to estimate though. It would be nice if they added a layer to that map with the break down within the larger zones.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Thanks, looks like you're right. I still had to estimate though. It would be nice if they added a layer to that map with the break down within the larger zones.
The map is a bit cumbersome, but it has really good detail. Erwin (red X) was listed on the map (you have to turn on the right features, and dig a little), and well within 8T.
erwin.jpg

erwin2.JPG

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Call the Erwin game warden and see if he could clue you in on where the state woods are. You can also buy the New York State topographical map book, I have one for New York, Pennsylvania, Florida and Washington State. They area great way to see the lay of the land and to find old roadways, railroads and out of the way places.

Pennsylvania probably has some of the best state owned public hunting land that you'll ever find in this whole entire country. The use to give state maps with all of the public hunting land areas.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are certainly great resources when looking for new places to hunt. Coming from the Army, I relied heavily on topographical maps to scout new areas when I first started hunting regularly on my own.

I've hunted this spot in the past I just couldn't remember the zone, which is important if you tag a deer here in NY. Thankfully I mostly hunt private land nowadays but next year I plan to start hunting muzzleloader again and since there's less people in the woods during that time, I'll likely check out some of my old public stomping grounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts