New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMPORTANT UPDATE: The link to the Erie County S.C.O.P.E. meet the candidates next week I originally posted was incorrect (It was the link to last year's 2012 meeting). The meeting is next Thursday. When I find the correct location, I"ll update the link.

The Erie County SCOPE chapter had a meeting Thursday evening with some invited guests including Jim Tresmond, Sheriff Tim Howard, and a few others including a trial attorney now working with SCOPE.

I jotted down some notes and offer them here as is, no additional sanity checking. Some of this you've seen before, and I am sharing just as someone who went and not as official representative of anyone. Don't shoot the messenger (some of these may trigger Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt (FUD) and are indicated as such. Don't let FUD get you. Clarification will come and we've always known we are in this for the long haul).

- Meet the local Erie County candidates night next Thursday 9/26 (TIME AND LOCATION POSTED WHEN I FIND IT. NOT CURRENTLY ON SCOPE WEB PAGES BUT WAS ANNOUNCED AT MEETING. YOU CAN ALSO SEEK INFO HERE: http://scopeny.org/chapters/erie-co-ny-chapter.html)

- SCOPE has released a voter web site/phone app so you can be informed on election day (SCOPE Candidate Report Card Voter App)

- There have been about 10,000 mental health reports to the state so far. Of those, 67 had pistol permits. Unknown how many of those 67 had their permits revoked (state won't say).

- SAFE requires that a comlpete inventory of *all* firearms be completed by your estate upon your death. There was speculation that any AWs not registered would be caught by the state at that time and confiscated anyway.

- Hunters seem to be unaware of how they are going to be impacted by ammo requirements.

- Losing one round of ammo, once the ammo parts of SAFE go into effect, requires reporting it. Imagine if every hunter lost a round while in the field and reported it as required.

- Trap/skeet clubs that currently let members run a tab and hand out ammo are going to have to change their practices, running a background check every time ammo is handed out.

- VA hospitals are not sending in SAFE mental health reports to state for Veterans seeking help with mental health issues.

- Tresmond lawsuit: AG has agreed to respond and will do so by 12/1/13. Our side will respond by 1/2/14. Trial date set 1/16/14.

- [FUD warning] Trial attorney in group not associated with lawsuit pointed out these are just courte dates on the calendar and not firm dates. He thought AG will try to drag this on as long as possible and believes [again, FUD warning] registration will go into effect before there is any decision or relief [to combat my FUD, I'm sticking with what attorneys directly associated with the suit are telling us].

- Once there is a decision one side or the other is going to appeal, so while we want a court win and the parts of the law under dispute to be set aside as the appeals go forward, the appeals will go forward and there were 2 or 3 more appeal venues on both the state and federally tracked lawsuits.

- [FUD warning] Speculation that state not funding ammo database could mean ammo sales stop because required background check can't be performed. This was later corrected by speculating that the state can't stop ammo sales unless it has a reason for doing so and that absent a reason, no sales can be stopped. No one was certain which viewpoint is correct.

Remember, we are in this to the end. The end is a ways off and not waiting for us at the conslusion of these current suits. The fat lady won't have sung until all appeals are exhausted. Until then, vote, educate, and do not tire.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

- [FUD warning] Trial attorney in group not associated with lawsuit pointed out these are just courte dates on the calendar and not firm dates. He thought AG will try to drag this on as long as possible and believes [again, FUD warning] registration will go into effect before there is any decision or relief [to combat my FUD, I'm sticking with what attorneys directly associated with the suit are telling us].
Like you said, I the attorney's opinion is just that; opinion. Take it with a grain of salt and listen to what Shooter and Max say over anyone else.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sooooo...there is no actual trial date...and even if we do win a trial (which could be years away?) it won't eliminate SAFE until all appeals are finished? Which from what I've always seen, appeals can take decades.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Maybe Ammo provision SHOULD go into effect just to wake up the hunters and general public. Every round of ammo lost must be reported to the state? I cannot give ammo to my buddy at the range without a background check first? New York is officially worse than North Korea.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sooooo...there is no actual trial date...and even if we do win a trial (which could be years away?) it won't eliminate SAFE until all appeals are finished? Which from what I've always seen, appeals can take decades.
I believe Shooter has said if this goes to trial and we win in the first round, the parts being challenged will be turned off as the appeal is underway. If the state wins, then the pieces stay in effect as the appeal is underway. If the state agreed to settle some of the disputed points out of court, well, those would go away too.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hunters seem to be unaware of how they are going to be impacted by ammo requirements.

- Losing one round of ammo, once the ammo parts of SAFE go into effect, requires reporting it. Imagine if every hunter lost a round while in the field and reported it as required.Wouldn't a "spent" round be considered lost as it now has many parts....would all "spent" rounds be logged and reported ?.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Maybe Ammo provision SHOULD go into effect just to wake up the hunters and general public. Every round of ammo lost must be reported to the state? I cannot give ammo to my buddy at the range without a background check first? New York is officially worse than North Korea.
hunter's,including myself, don't "need" to be woke up. We're NOT the whipping boys as has been stated in this and other posts. This "mentality" fractures a group effort rather than bond.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
hunter's,including myself, don't "need" to be woke up. We're NOT the whipping boys as has been stated in this and other posts. This "mentality" fractures a group effort rather than bond.
A large majority (not all) of hunters have no clue that the SAFE Act will effect them, so a lot don't care about, or even support it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
A large majority (not all) of hunters have no clue that the SAFE Act will effect them, so a lot don't care about, or even support it.
I agree, every time I'm in a gun shop around hunting season you can hear how oblivious or self centered some hunters are.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Correct but we have also heard from hunters that "they don't care about our black guns because it doesn't affect them." Not saying its you but there is a little dispute from both sides, it needs to be fixed.

·
www.tresmondlaw.com
442 Posts
Thank you for attending the S.C.O.P.E. meeting last night! Tfhese dates are firm insofar as a reply is due and unless some extraordinary circumstance occurs, there will be no adjournment.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I agree, every time I'm in a gun shop around hunting season you can hear how oblivious or self centered some hunters are.
at least in the WNY area...erie and niagara counties...gun shops have petitions...signed and supplying signs at cheap prices vs the 20 dollar internet sites that "claim" to be in the cause. This "black gun" and hunters "care less approach" is just not true. There must be a few but maybe the "trappers", handgun,shotgun or the non concerned non black gun crowd also have some negitive supporters. Poll the trap and skeet shooters. Poll any firearm club that doesn't use "black gun" All could be pooled with us evil hunter's that are ruining the safe act repeal. If you believe that, I have a few bridges for sale.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Correct but we have also heard from hunters that "they don't care about our black guns because it doesn't affect them." Not saying its you but there is a little dispute from both sides, it needs to be fixed.
Wait until they can't buy ammo, that'll affect 'em plenty. I know there's lots of hunters who have worked very hard and stayed vigilant to the cause, but those that haven't better start taking up archery.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I think the losing one round will be the undoing of the ammo portion, imagine millions of folks reporting, "I lost the 22LR misfire when ejected it in the grass."

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I think the losing one round will be the undoing of the ammo portion, imagine millions of folks reporting, "I lost the 22LR misfire when ejected it in the grass."
You know, that's the best idea I've heard all week.

Though for the time being, I have to stay off their radar.

To date, I have failed to register my sporting arms. I'm not contributing to the cause to end all gun violence, and that makes me a horrible person.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please note the location of the Erie County S.C.O.P.E meeting next Thursday was incorrect in the link posted (the link was for 2012). Correct information will be updated in the original post when I have it. Many apologies for the mix-up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts