New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my timeline for pistol permit application. Just over eight months from time of application to receiving letter in the mail. I live in a municipality that uses ECSD for the investigation.

6/22/11: Took pistol safety course. Thanks FTWNY! Plenty of good info in this course including tips for the application process.
6/23/11-11/20/12: Procrastinated filling out the application and figuring out who I was going to use for references
11/21/11: Application submitted to PPO
4/25/12: All references contacted
4/26/12: Phone interview with Sheriff Fred from the ECSD. Very professional and friendly.
5/21/12: Six month anniversary of submitting application. Call PPO for status update. Application is sitting in stack with 200 others waiting for judge's decision.
6/21/12: Call for another status update. Application is with judge.
7/10/12: Another call to PPO. Application is back from judge. Letter will be sent shortly notifying me of decision.
7/24/12: Congratulations letter dated 7/18/12 received! I didn't apply for unrestricted so I would assume it will have target/hunting restriction.

Overall not too painful. The PPO was slightly rude a couple of the times I called and I feel like they put you on hold just to make you wait. They seem to want to make a point that they are short staffed. Sorry, but I won't be calling my legislator and telling them to hire more people.

Also, I have an acquaintance who lives in the same municipality who applied for unrestricted about 1.5 months before me. He received his approval letter over four months before I did so it was only about five months total for him.

So, if you are thinking about applying but are concerned about the wait, just do it! Just remember you only have to do it once in your lifetime.

Time to make some purchases...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here is my timeline for pistol permit application. Just over eight months from time of application to receiving letter in the mail. I live in a municipality that uses ECSD for the investigation.

6/22/11: Took pistol safety course. Thanks FTWNY! Plenty of good info in this course including tips for the application process.
6/23/11-11/20/12: Procrastinated filling out the application and figuring out who I was going to use for references
Thanks, let us know if you need anything else at all. Glad to hear that the process went smooth for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts