New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kicking around the idea of a .50 cal of some sort.
Spending limit of $3500

First thing first. A BMG is out, unless I find a INSANE deal.

I was thinking along the lines of a Beowulf or possibly an Armlite.

I won't be shooting this much at all. Just one of those, "yeah I have that"

Suggestion, comments?

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Yoda say:

Desert Eagle does not a big penis make.

· Registered
1,841 Posts
I've been looking into this myself, too. For an AR-15, my preferred .50 caliber would be a .458 SOCOM. It makes sense in my head, I promise. Second choice, for an AR-10, there's a cartridge based on the WSM cases that uses .510" bullets, though its name escapes me at the moment. Both of those would be top picks of mine, as I'd be strictly reloading them, which might not work for everyone.

· Registered
5,312 Posts
50 Beowulf!

Hunting Plant Elk Natural material Wood
Vertebrate Vehicle Grass Fawn Working animal
Plant Camouflage Military camouflage Wheel Tire

· Registered
1,103 Posts
I've been looking at socoms (not that I have the money now, but no reason not to be informed)... I know it's not a fiddy, but still very promising.

Otherwise, I fall back to gunner's post :)

· Registered
1,009 Posts
i have a beowulf. it's cool. you can buy a tactilite 50 BMG upper and put it on any AR lower. it's a 5 month back order. you need to put $500 down and pay the rest when it's ready. mine's being shipped Oct 16!

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How bad is this thing to shoot? Kicks like a 12ga I'm told?
This is basically an AR in a .50, so my stock needs to be pinned and my muzzle break welded in place?

I have this AR lower laying around, can I just pick up and upper and some mags and call it a day?

· Registered
287 Posts
I would much rather a .338 lapua! And you can buy this Barrett It goes for $3999 MSRP.
Im with this guy. 50 cal is certainly an "i have it" thing. IMO the .338 is the practical alternative.

· Premium Member
1,205 Posts

· Registered
895 Posts
Serbu Arms.....50 BMG single shot rifles & carbines, well within your price range.

· Registered
5,312 Posts

· Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Recoil and kick is not bad, kinda like one of my 20 gauges.

Here, go shopping... Alexander Arms :cool:

Been shopping ordering the upper friday :D
I have gun stores telling me its going to kick horrible. I mean, I've shot 200 rounds of trap form 12ga and 16, I know I was sore but I don't plan on shooting that many in a night with the .50.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.