New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in NC for the past couple of weeks for work, and will finally be traveling home this weekend. Tomorrow, myself and a couple co-workers are going to hit some pawn shops and gun stores before flying back home. I'm looking for various pre-ban magazines, and wondering if there are any restrictions from placing those in my checked luggage. I checked the TSA website and they give a statement that seems to pertain to traveling with a checked firearm and it's magazine(s). All I can find is a chart indicating that parts of guns and firearms are OK in checked luggage.

Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Item
Carry-onChecked
Parts of Guns and Firearms
NoYes
If I'm able to score some mags, I might just try to ship them from a FedEx / UPS store or USPS first. In the event that I can't get them shipped home, I would hope that stand-alone unloaded magazines in checked luggage aren't an issue, but this is the TSA we're talking about. Anyone have knowledge on this?
Thanks!

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Further down that same page you linked.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Make it a box with a lock to keep them happy.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
If it doees not work out/you are worried, a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium box is $12 for as many as you can cram in. There is nothing against shipping mags USPS.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
mail them priority mail the day before you leave. They'll arrive home the day after you get back. Nice and easy, and you don't have to bother with the damn TSA.

· Registered
128 Posts
I totally agree with the priority mail. This avoids the TSA debacle.

I flew up from Charlotte two weeks ago and was never treated so rudely. These people need personality training.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. After thinking this over more, I will definitely use the shipping option. After two weeks of headaches at work down here, why would I want to set myself up for more with the TSA. Ha ha...

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally agree with the priority mail. This avoids the TSA debacle.

I flew up from Charlotte two weeks ago and was never treated so rudely. These people need personality training.
I'm flying out of Charlotte, so hopefully the people you encountered have the day off when I go through there. I need to start driving for these trips...

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mail em I'd say. I just disassembled mags coming home from Vegas few years ago.

Most TSA officers understand what a mag is and that they are empty.
Thanks. Yeah, mailing seems like the best option.
That's a good idea too for future reference.
Did you disassemble them to put in checked luggage, or carry-on? I'm not sure about all airports, but the ones I've recently flown through, the TSA doesn't open your checked luggage at the ticket counter for a search anymore. The ticket agent just puts my bag directly onto the conveyor belt, where I assume it's scanned somewhere downline before loading on the airplane?

· Registered
567 Posts
..........the TSA doesn't open your checked luggage at the ticket counter for a search anymore. The ticket agent just puts my bag directly onto the conveyor belt, where I assume it's scanned somewhere downline before loading on the airplane?
How else is one to score a free iPad or laptop on the People's dime?? I'd worry more about some sticky fingers in an un-observed back room than the legal issue in the checked bag..........ship USPS and rest easy on your flight home. Even with shipping you'll still be way, way ahead of NY price points on pre-ban mags.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Ever think about disassembling them? Keep the springs in a box, the bodies in another box, maybe the followers and floorplates with the springs.

Edit: Nevermind lol, I just read that other post.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
When I travel with a firearm, I put the LOADED magazines in the luggage, outside the locked case. I have never had an issue. Prior to that, I put the empty magazines in the same place, with an ammunition case next to it. I think you should have no problems with undeclared, empty magazines in your checked luggage.

· Registered
753 Posts
I'm on vacation now, my empty mags were in the checked bag, no issues with TSA.
But there was this one time where I screwed up and put an empty mag in my carryon bag.
Ugh, thought I was gonna miss my flight, spend the night with Bubba, etc. Eventually they decided I was ok to go.
The missus was not very pleased, but we made our flight home.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I travel with a firearm, I put the LOADED magazines in the luggage, outside the locked case. I have never had an issue. Prior to that, I put the empty magazines in the same place, with an ammunition case next to it. I think you should have no problems with undeclared, empty magazines in your checked luggage.
ScotchMan, Were the magazines in a box or container when separate from the firearm, or did you have them loose in your luggage?

I'm on vacation now, my empty mags were in the checked bag, no issues with TSA.
But there was this one time where I screwed up and put an empty mag in my carryon bag.
Ugh, thought I was gonna miss my flight, spend the night with Bubba, etc. Eventually they decided I was ok to go.
The missus was not very pleased, but we made our flight home.
That was the concern that I had before reading up on this. The TSA list shows that "gun parts" need to be in checked luggage, but they make no specific mention of magazines other than saying they need to be "securely boxed". Kind of a grey area they have created with their rules. Thanks Merlin and enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for the help guys, this is good information for future travels.

So as it turned out, we only had a chance to hit one pawn/gun shop before flying home. The place we stopped at had a bunch of 30rd AR and AK mags, but prices were higher than what I can get them for in NY! Oh well, I was able to drool over some ARs with evil features, check out a KelTec PLR-16, FN SCAR, and a few nice AK variants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.