New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Senator Libous,
I read an article about Maryland's gun law which included that resident's requirement to show a "good and substantial reason" to obtain a handgun permit is unconstitutional"(
Md. Gun Law Found Unconstitutional « CBS Baltimore ) and I was wondering when and if New York's Pistol Permit system will ever change. The reason I ask this is because in February of 2011 I applied for a pistol permit in Broome County.(In my original letter, I explained how why my pistol permit was denied)
I feel that it is unfair to me that I can legally go buy a new shotgun or a new rifle if I want, but yet according to NYS law I cannot legally own a handgun unless I get a permit first. I am to inherit a few handguns from my father but if I do not have a permit if something happens to him, I will probably lose them. These handguns been in the family for years, and they are something I would like to have as a memory from him.
I have been reading about 3 bills that are going to the codes committee, S-520 - Mandatory Firearms Training, S-675B - Microstamping, and S-895 - Mandatory Firearms Storage. I have read these 3 bills, and I am not against Firearm training (I have been in the Hunter's Safety course here in Broome twice, and was going to take some handgun classes, but I can't do any of those unless I have a permit), and I am not against proper firearm's storage, but the way these bills are worded and the definitions used, they just add to making gun ownership harder when it is a 2nd amendment right for US citizens. I do not agree with Microstamping as this bill has been introduced before and never got anywhere and the technology for Microstamping has not been developed yet.
Thank you for your time Senator. This is an issue that has been on my mind a lot for the past year. I would love to hear what your views and opinions are on this subject.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Senator Libous' Reply

[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Thanks for reaching out, Andy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]You can count on my strong opposition to microstamping. It's a terrible bill.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]And I'm sorry to hear that your pistol permit application was denied.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]I agree that New York's current discretionary policy for issuing unrestricted permits is inconsistent and unfair.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]For years now, I've been pushing for legislation that would allow folks with clean criminal and mental health records to carry concealed weapons for personal protection.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]But to be perfectly honest, it doesn't stand a chance in the Democratically-controlled Assembly. And they're certainly not going to pass any laws waiving our existing permit requirements for restricted licenses. If they had their way, none of us would be allowed to own guns.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Sorry I can't give you better news here.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Best wishes,[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Tom[/FONT]

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
it's the NYC lets re elect Rangle mind set that will never change, thus, getting Republican control may never happen in our lifetime

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Any questions on how we change that? Think No-vember.
Dems outnumber Pubs 5:3 in NYS, the hope for any real change is strictly a pipe dream.

NYS will never respect your 2nd Amendment rights, the Dems run the show and always will given Downstate's numbers.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Dems outnumber Pubs 5:3 in NYS, the hope for any real change is strictly a pipe dream...
The Pubs have overcome bigger gaps than that. But it'll take quality candidates, something the Pubs aren't good at finding.

One thing the Dems are good at is mobilizing and rallying their people to push their agenda. The Pubs I know (myself included) are typically worried about the daily grind, work, family, etc and don't have time to go door to door, collect petition signatures, attend rallies, send letters & emails to elected officials, etc. If we stay vigilant and don't give up, we can overcome 5:3, which I doubt is really 5:3.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are actually a couple of bills that have been introduced to address the pistol permit system.

A-3268/S-186
Establishes a license for a pistol or revolver shall be issued to have and carry concealed, without regard to
employment or place of employment and without judicial discretion on whether proper cause exists for the issuance
thereof; requires the police authority in the locality where an application is made for a license to carry, possess,
repair and dispose of firearms to conduct a search of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System
(NICS).
A-9086/S-678
Creates a process for the issuance of a temporary permit to carry or possess a firearm for persons who are not
residents of the state of New York; provides an affirmative defense to possession of a loaded firearm by certain
persons and provides reciprocity for persons licensed in other states.
S-2361/A-511
Provides that restrictions regarding the carrying of concealed weapons and licenses therefor shall be by statute
only

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
If we stay vigilant and don't give up, we can overcome 5:3, which I doubt is really 5:3.
Doubt if you like, the numbers are real.

The Assembly is dominated by Dems, and the Pubs barely can hold the Senate.

Downstate has the numbers, and they've not seen a population exodus like Upstate has over the past 20 years.

While I'd like to share your enthusiasm, no amount of letters, rallies or petitions changes NYS demographics.

• Democratic: 5,507,928 (59.1%)
  • Republican: 3,130,122 (33.6%)
  • Independence: 345,957 (3.7%)
  • Conservative: 154,202 (1.7%)
  • Liberal: 66,672 (0.7%)
  • Right to Life: 40,278 (0.4%)
  • Green: 35,900 (0.4%)
  • Working Families: 34,289 (0.4%)
  • Libertarian: 1,061 (0.01%)

Politics of New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I would like to see a bill introduced that requires NYC to apply for statehood and take all their antigun politicians with them. lol

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Don't risk loosing your family handguns. I would contact the NRA, Scope and consider suing Broome County.
Talk to a good lawyer first and seek advice.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
I'm hoping some of those Dems are "old school" Dems like my buddy's dad who wonders what the hell happened to the Democrat Party.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I would like to see a bill introduced that requires NYC to apply for statehood and take all their antigun politicians with them. lol
As I understand it, folks in NYC/LI would support such a bill. From their perspective, upstate is a huge money sink - we take more money from the state's tax pool than we put in (this is true). I say this is because we're implementing programs NYC imposed on us and we don't have the population/tax base to support such programs. In other words, if we were to separate, we'd change our programs to more accurately reflect local population's desires and capabilities.

As for why I suspect it would never pass:

NYC feels entitled to our water, and would not want the Adirondacks to escape their political control. They polluted the bejesus out of their own ground water and are now completely reliant on water pumped to them from upstate. Separating into two states would eliminate their control of this, something I suspect they will never agree to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts