New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a post about this but I thought I would post this email I received.

Second Amendment And Constitutional Supporters

This is very Important.

A Very Alarming Bill Was Passed Thru The NY State Senate This Past Wednesday June 5th
We Must Act Now. We Must Stop This Bill In The Assembly Or:
Annoying and Alarming a Police Officer or a Peace Office will now become a Felony in NY State

S2402-2013: Establishes the crime of aggravated harassment of a police officer or peace officer S2402-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Establishes the crime of aggravated harassment of a police officer or peace officer - New York State Senate

Actions

•Jun 5, 2013: referred to codes
•Jun 5, 2013: DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY
•Jun 5, 2013: PASSED SENATE
•Jun 3, 2013: ADVANCED TO THIRD READING
•May 30, 2013: 2ND REPORT CAL.
•May 29, 2013: 1ST REPORT CAL.778
•Jan 17, 2013: REFERRED TO CODES

OTE: COMMITTEE VOTE: - Codes - May 29, 2013

Ayes (11): Nozzolio, Boyle, DeFrancisco, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gallivan, Golden, Lanza, O'Mara, Espaillat, O'Brien

Nays (4): Squadron, Perkins, Hoylman, Krueger

VOTE: FLOOR VOTE: - Jun 5, 2013
Ayes (50): Adams, Addabbo, Avella, Ball, Bonacic, Boyle, Breslin, Carlucci, DeFrancisco, Diaz, Espaillat, Farley, Felder, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gallivan, Gipson, Golden, Griffo, Grisanti, Hannon, Kennedy, Klein, Lanza, Larkin, Latimer, LaValle, Libous, Little, Marcellino, Marchione, Martins, Maziarz, Nozzolio, O'Brien, O'Mara, Peralta, Ranzenhofer, Ritchie, Robach, Sampson, Sanders, Savino, Seward, Skelos, Smith, Tkaczyk, Valesky, Young, Zeldin

Nays (13): Dilan, Gianaris, Hassell-Thomps, Hoylman, Krueger, Montgomery, Parker, Perkins, Rivera, Serrano, Squadron, Stavisky, Stewart-Cousin

Section 1. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 240.33 to
read as follows:

S 240.33 AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER.
A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR
PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM
A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE
OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER
OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS
SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.
AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER IS A CLASS
E FELONY.
S 2. This act shall take effect on the first of November next succeed-
ing the date on which it shall have become a law.

Some might think on the surface this looks good. Not if you know there is ALREADY a law known as http://www.nycourts.gov/judges/cji/2-PenalLaw/195/195.05.pdf

So what changed? Two very important items have been added to this new Bill.
1) The two words Annoy and Alarm have been added to the Bill.
2) The level of PUNISHMENT..it went from a Misdemeanor to a Felony.

This new law is TROJAN HORSE. Itis not meant to protect law enforcement officers. It is meant to UP the level of PUNISHMENT for ANYONE .........including DISSENTERS.....engaged by police and peace officers.

As the populous is becoming "dissenters" due to the daily ASSAULT on their civil sensibilities, the politicians are using police officers to hold back the hordes.........as opposed to backing down from their "daily assaults" and "abuse of power."............these police officers used by the politicians as "use full idiots" of suppression, now have the power to turn around to charge you with a FELONY if you so much as yank your arm away as they grab and push you back yell at them in a highly emotional state.

If you yell at a police officer, annoy or alarm him/her with any actions you might take out of raised emotions or frustration
You Will Now Be Charged With A FELONY CONVICTION. If found guilty you will lose your right to own a firearm and to vote and spend up to 4 years in Prison

The previous law of Obstruction of Administration has EXACTLY the same wording as this new law "Aggravated Harassment of a Police Officer" only thing that changed is the CHARGE.

We respect Police and Law Enforcement. However, no good can come from this proposed Law.

THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN PANDERING TO THE Police Officers and Peace Officers TO DO THE GOVERNMENTS BIDDING WILLINGLY.

IT IS NOW A FELONY.......yell at or to rebuke or even push away a police officer....even though he may be abusing or handcuffing you for a minor violation ........

This is an unjust law justifying the existence of law makers, and pandering to Police Officers and Peace Officers

But, I believe this law is more SINISTER......it is designed to QUASH DISSENTERS.

We must contact our Assemblymen/Women by phone, email and fax Monday Morning and tell them to vote "NO" on this Bill. Stop NY State From Becoming A Police State

Tell Your Assemblyman/Woman to Vote no on Bill S-2402 - 2013

gary
Gary L Perry
Turn Albany Upside Down

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Per the other thread, I do not oppose this. Don't hit a cop, and it does not apply. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's a BS law, as I said in an earlier thread, there are laws on the books already in place to aid LE when performing their duties.

It has nothing to do with "hitting a cop" it has everything to do with charging an individual with a Felony for exercising their First Amendment.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
In theory it's simple, in practice it's a bobsled run to abusive policing.
There is certainly a percentage of cops who abuse their position and power, some to greater lengths than others. Those who do already know how, and cause extreme difficulties/hardships/destroy lives for those they have chosen to victimize, as badly or worse than any rapist or worse. Absolutely. But I really do not think that this will enable them to terrorize their victims more than they already do. On the flip side, when some actual real dbag is getting arrested and fights back against a good cop, this might help put them away for longer.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
It's a BS law, as I said in an earlier thread, there are laws on the books already in place to aid LE when performing their duties.

It has nothing to do with "hitting a cop" it has everything to do with charging an individual with a Felony for exercising their First Amendment.
No, it is entirely about striking an officer. Nothing about the 1st A at all.

·
Registered
678 Posts
No, it is entirely about striking an officer. Nothing about the 1st A at all.
to be honest I didn't ready the proposed law. But I did see the word "annoying" and that doesn't sit well with me. Cops get annoyed all day by people, whether the people are intentionally annoying them or not.

My wife tells me I'm very annoying to her and others, she says my sarcasm is very annoying. But that's just my demeanor, I'm a naturally annoying person.

I better avoid LE

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I will live my life and when a situation arises I will worry about it then untill then I will not let the pols BS bother me anymore. They can pass their little laws but my laws are/have been in place for years. Some police officers are incompetent/bad most aren't just like in every occupation same with DEC officers most are good but the few bad ones give them all a bad name. When I was a kid in the late 60's we had many run-ins with the law (war protests and tomfoolery in the neighborhood) all of them were handled in a very professional way by the RPD when I look back on them now.
Over the years I have met lots of police officers, sold stuff to them, talked with them, got a break from them on the road, been helped by them and they are just regular people who happen to be in the position of enforcing the law so forget the stupid politicians and trust the people.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I have nothing but utmost respect for LEO's, and have several in the family. However, I can't ignore the fact that the profession does attract some bad apples. Authoritarian, power-hungry, school-yard bullies who desire to carry out malice with the protection of a badge. We're fortunate to have the perspectives of the "good apples" in this forum, and this law perhaps does some good for them. However, for the school yard bullies with a badge, this law is a big step in the wrong direction, and another gaffe by our horrendous NYS legislative body. That being said, my disdain for this bill comes not from distrust or anything against LEO's (even the bad apples), the problem here is our corrupt and scandalous legislature. We know what they're all about, and the damage they have already done is atrocious. The NYS legislature can no longer be trusted to pass sensible and Constitutional laws, they've lost any hope of trust from the informed citizens and voters in this State.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I know there was a post about this but I thought I would post this email I received.

Second Amendment And Constitutional Supporters

This is very Important.

A Very Alarming Bill Was Passed Thru The NY State Senate This Past Wednesday June 5th
We Must Act Now. We Must Stop This Bill In The Assembly Or:
Annoying and Alarming a Police Officer or a Peace Office will now become a Felony in NY State

S2402-2013: Establishes the crime of aggravated harassment of a police officer or peace officer S2402-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Establishes the crime of aggravated harassment of a police officer or peace officer - New York State Senate

Actions

•Jun 5, 2013: referred to codes
•Jun 5, 2013: DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY
•Jun 5, 2013: PASSED SENATE
•Jun 3, 2013: ADVANCED TO THIRD READING
•May 30, 2013: 2ND REPORT CAL.
•May 29, 2013: 1ST REPORT CAL.778
•Jan 17, 2013: REFERRED TO CODES

OTE: COMMITTEE VOTE: - Codes - May 29, 2013

Ayes (11): Nozzolio, Boyle, DeFrancisco, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gallivan, Golden, Lanza, O'Mara, Espaillat, O'Brien

Nays (4): Squadron, Perkins, Hoylman, Krueger

VOTE: FLOOR VOTE: - Jun 5, 2013
Ayes (50): Adams, Addabbo, Avella, Ball, Bonacic, Boyle, Breslin, Carlucci, DeFrancisco, Diaz, Espaillat, Farley, Felder, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gallivan, Gipson, Golden, Griffo, Grisanti, Hannon, Kennedy, Klein, Lanza, Larkin, Latimer, LaValle, Libous, Little, Marcellino, Marchione, Martins, Maziarz, Nozzolio, O'Brien, O'Mara, Peralta, Ranzenhofer, Ritchie, Robach, Sampson, Sanders, Savino, Seward, Skelos, Smith, Tkaczyk, Valesky, Young, Zeldin

Nays (13): Dilan, Gianaris, Hassell-Thomps, Hoylman, Krueger, Montgomery, Parker, Perkins, Rivera, Serrano, Squadron, Stavisky, Stewart-Cousin

Section 1. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 240.33 to
read as follows:

S 240.33 AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER.
A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR
PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM
A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE
OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER
OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS
SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.
AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER IS A CLASS
E FELONY.
S 2. This act shall take effect on the first of November next succeed-
ing the date on which it shall have become a law.

Some might think on the surface this looks good. Not if you know there is ALREADY a law known as http://www.nycourts.gov/judges/cji/2-PenalLaw/195/195.05.pdf

So what changed? Two very important items have been added to this new Bill.
1) The two words Annoy and Alarm have been added to the Bill.
2) The level of PUNISHMENT..it went from a Misdemeanor to a Felony.

This new law is TROJAN HORSE. Itis not meant to protect law enforcement officers. It is meant to UP the level of PUNISHMENT for ANYONE .........including DISSENTERS.....engaged by police and peace officers.

As the populous is becoming "dissenters" due to the daily ASSAULT on their civil sensibilities, the politicians are using police officers to hold back the hordes.........as opposed to backing down from their "daily assaults" and "abuse of power."............these police officers used by the politicians as "use full idiots" of suppression, now have the power to turn around to charge you with a FELONY if you so much as yank your arm away as they grab and push you back yell at them in a highly emotional state.

If you yell at a police officer, annoy or alarm him/her with any actions you might take out of raised emotions or frustration
You Will Now Be Charged With A FELONY CONVICTION. If found guilty you will lose your right to own a firearm and to vote and spend up to 4 years in Prison

The previous law of Obstruction of Administration has EXACTLY the same wording as this new law "Aggravated Harassment of a Police Officer" only thing that changed is the CHARGE.

We respect Police and Law Enforcement. However, no good can come from this proposed Law.

THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN PANDERING TO THE Police Officers and Peace Officers TO DO THE GOVERNMENTS BIDDING WILLINGLY.

IT IS NOW A FELONY.......yell at or to rebuke or even push away a police officer....even though he may be abusing or handcuffing you for a minor violation ........

This is an unjust law justifying the existence of law makers, and pandering to Police Officers and Peace Officers

But, I believe this law is more SINISTER......it is designed to QUASH DISSENTERS.

We must contact our Assemblymen/Women by phone, email and fax Monday Morning and tell them to vote "NO" on this Bill. Stop NY State From Becoming A Police State

Tell Your Assemblyman/Woman to Vote no on Bill S-2402 - 2013

gary
Gary L Perry
Turn Albany Upside Down
Here's a link to the 1st thread about this: http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/55559-annoying-police-illegal.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you don't touch the cop, you won't get busted.:cool:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
And the IRS won't audit you or deny your rights if you're a Tea Party Group.

The Attorney General won't run guns to Mexico in effort to blame the 2nd Amendment.

The President won't assinate American citizens without affording them due process.

The State Dept. would never leave an US Ambassador to die, then poorly attempt to cover that fact up.

The Justice Department won't SYSTEMATICALLY vacuum up every atom of telephony and internet data.

The NYSP would never violate HIPPA laws and illegally and purposefly violate the rights of law abiding NYers.

Abuse of power is clearly an isolated practice.

Anyone want to buy a Bridge, I'll give you a helluva deal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wrong, try again.

If a cop is talking to you, then for whatever reason punches you in the face, and you reply with something like "Whoa WTF man? You can't do that!" It's a felony.

No annoying. No yelling. No criticizing.

Welcome to Auschwitz NY. We'll keep the ovens on for you.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Imagine this law in place on June 11. The powers decide its time for you to shut up and move along and start pushing..........

Get the picture? It's not about assaulting a cop, it's about giving the kings men another reason to quiet the serfs.

Does "I thought the cell phone was a gun" or "holding that cell phone is alarming me" ring a bell.

If support this law then go register your weapons now and stop writing letters to lawmakers.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And the IRS won't audit you or deny your rights if you're a Tea Party Group.

The Attorney General won't run guns to Mexico in effort to blame the 2nd Amendment.

The President won't assinate American citizens without affording them due process.

The State Dept. would never leave an US Ambassador to die, then poorly attempt to cover that fact up.

The Justice Department won't SYSTEMATICALLY vacuum up every atom of telephony and internet data.

The NYSP would never violate HIPPA laws and illegally and purposefly violate the rights of law abiding NYers.

Abuse of power is clearly an isolated practice.

Anyone want to buy a Bridge, I'll give you a helluva deal.
Tough to argue with Guys points.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Tough to argue with Guys points.
Argue with them? I find them 99% irrelevant. Those are all from high up in the gov system, the law here is at the absolute most bottom basic level. Yes, it makes all the difference.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
So why was this law amended in the first place? Was it such a problem that hitting a cop was only a misdemeanor was not enough? Seriously, they did this to get more police on their side for the gun control debate. Stupid amendments need to be removed!!

James

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Argue with them? I find them 99% irrelevant. Those are all from high up in the gov system, the law here is at the absolute most bottom basic level. Yes, it makes all the difference.
To me degeneret, it is just another piece of the puzzle that is all just part of the entire situation wrapped up in a neat little package. Kind of like when the local town govt's make up rules regarding where firearms can go and where they can't. Drip, drip, drip.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Welcome to "Oz" folks

Police State, Beatings, and checkpoints...OH MY!
Police State, Beatings, and checkpoints...OH MY!

This is yet one more nail in our coffin, folks...

OK....So, some people may say that this "doesn't sound so bad", and "what's the big deal?"

And I say: read it again, and think... really hard, about EVERYTHING you just read.

And then, THINK AGAIN, about WHY this really needed to be passed????? We already KNOW we should show respect to a LEO.... That goes without saying!!!! So...... what's the real "need" behind this bill?

Wake up people!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts