New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been thinking about getting a pair of electronic earmuffs ever since I took one of my classes about a year and a half ago.

Can anyone recommend a decent set for not a ton of money? I've been looking online and have seen anything from Caldwell's for $30 up to $140 for Peltors and tons of brand in between. I honestly have no clue which would work well enough for me, shooting at ranges (indoor/outdoor), which is really all I want them for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I bought a pair of the Caldwell's a couple years ago, use them sometimes, and they work pretty well. Volume from anything I've shot is reduced pretty low with them, amplification is adjustable to the point where I can hear things I otherwise couldn't, and they've survived so far.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
I've been through several pairs of electronic earmuffs. I've found you get what you pay for. I'm currently using Peltor Tactical 7s and they are great. I've tried Silencio, Remington (which I believe were made by Peltor but they are the small body muffs), and a couple others. Nothing comes close to the noise reduction of the Peltors yet I can still carry on conversations and hear range commands and timer beeps. Dave of Rochester Personal Defense originally recommended them to me and I would in turn recommend the Tactical 7s to anyone, they are great earmuffs.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I must say that I am pretty disappointed in my Peltor Tac 6s. The padded earpieces are constantly cracking on me because they are so hard to remove to change the batteries I end up snapping them. I contacted their customer service, which is a pain to find the correct # on the website (3M), and they told me too bad. They said it was a high-wear part and I can buy them in the "hygiene maintenance kit" from Midwayusa for about $20. After I took the MDTS course in Nov. I discovered that one of the exterior shells that the electronics are attached to has a 1.5" crack down it, probably again due to how hard it is to get to the batteries. I contacted customer service again and the lady asked me if I had a computer. I told her yes and she said to go to their website and find the address it needs to be mailed to. She also told me that it will have to be repaired on my dime if I couldn't produce a copy of a receipt to prove I had actually purchased the product. WTF?

On top of all these issues I gotta say that the battery life on these is terrible. Herb Phillipsons carries a set of Howard Leights for around $40-50, I think I'm gonna have to check them out. The HL claim a decent battery life and only use 2xAAA instead of the Peltors 4xAAA.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Peltor 7s Headsets are great.

I'm now using the MSA model because they are waterproof, but the NRR is the same. The 7s's can be found on opticsplanet.com or hit up Amazon. One of my shooters found them for about 60 bucks. The MSA's go for around 200

·
Registered
94 Posts
What he said... I have a pair, and they work great... The best part is they don't break the bank for a decent pair I would not bat an eye to recommend to anyone. :)
I have been beating on my set for quite a few years now and they have held up great. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Santa brought me a pair of Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold 33db muffs. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now that you guys have mentioned batteries I have never needed to replace mine. I use them on average 1-2 times per week. I've been out in the rain and snow with them also. I'll be buying another pair of the Howard Leight for when I take my sons shooting.

·
Registered
983 Posts
+1 on the Howard Leights. Best price I found was on Amazon.com. If you shoot indoors or something big you may want foam plugs under them because their noise reduction isn't as high as some.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
With the 7s's from Peltor or the MSA's I have, no extra earplugs are needed.....

·
I am Iron Man!
453 Posts
+5 on the Howard Leights. I am still on my original set of batteries also after almost 2 years of regular use. And they have an amplified stereo input jack which was also a deciding factor for me.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I've been using the Peltor 6s for about 2 years. I find myself using plugs under them whenever someone is shooting a larger caliber handgun indoors near me. Outside I don't ever need plugs, even with rifles. So far I haven't broken anything on them and have changed the batteries several times. I would buy another pair of these if they died on me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just got a set of the Cadwell low profile electronic muffs, and they work well. No idea how long they will last, but for $18 at midway, I figured it would be worth it to find out. Best of all, they are MUCH more comfortable to shoot with than my old ones, because of the thinner profile.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Got the new Midway flier and the Howard Leight have been reducer to $49.99
Just ordered these per everyone's recommendation and the price (on sale) compared to the Peltor 6S.

Amazon has them on sale right now for $43.99

·
Registered
108 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't like those Howard Leights? I bought a pair on sale from Amazon after reading about them here. I took them to the range once (covered, outdoor) and found it extremely uncomfortable to be anywhere near my friend when he was shooting his AR. I don't get a good seal around my ear and they don't seem to cut off fast enough. I tossed them back in my trunk and have been using my $15 Peltor Shotgunner muffs ever since.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts