New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Georgia man was arrested and charged with the theft of about 5 cents worth of electricity after plugging his electric car into an exterior outlet at his son's school while the 11-year-old was at tennis practice.
Within minutes of plugging his electric Nissan Leaf into Chamblee High School, Kaveh Kamooneh said he looked over from his son's tennis practice to notice a police officer sitting inside his vehicle,
Electric Car Owner Arrested For Stealing 5 Cents Worth Of Power « CBS Atlanta

Shocking!!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
...he didn't steal anything?

Who paid for the school and it's electricity?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
In theory it doesnt matter if its 5 cents or 500 bucks he did it without permission. However, in the same situation I could see someone plugging in their car, their cell phone, etc in a school outlet while waiting there for their child. I think its very petty for the school to press charges over this. They could send a memo out to all parents not to use school utilities instead.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Ford (arresting​ "officer") said school officials had not asked them to press charges or arrest Kamooneh, and that if such an incident were to happen again they would take the same course of action against this type of theft."

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think the PD did it to set example that even though you buy an electric car you are not entitled to just plug in anywhere you see an outlet.
I'm guessing charges will be dropped by DA once the media hype dies down

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Poor guy should go out and peel that OBummer bumper sticker right off, he may have been lied to.:rofl:

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
It's a public facility which is paid for by tax dollars. Would they charge me with stealing water if I took a piss in the bathroom and flushed?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Just read the article now... so the school didn't press charges it was Barney Fife who felt the need to take it that far. While I agree that theft is theft its a little different since its a public school that taxes pay for, his son attends school there and tgere was no "intent" to steal..

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
So I can walk in and take whatever I want?
Pretty much.

Unless it is brought in by the teachers. I'm assuming they don't have a teacher in a hamster wheel around back.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Shldnt of gotten an electric car.

Imagine if it was a regular car and he siphoned gas out of a school bus? Even a drop?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
A piece of me wants this guy to slingshot a ****ing nickle into whatever judges forehead who actually bothers to take this to court. And next time that cop takes a drink from a public water fountain, arrest him for stealing 3 cents of water.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I used to plug in my laptop at college.

My god have mercy on my soul.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Shldnt of gotten an electric car.

Imagine if it was a regular car and he siphoned gas out of a school bus? Even a drop?
I think the more correct analogy would be me plugging into their grid from my house with intent to subsidize and supplement one's resources by reasonably defrauding the rest of the public.

0.05c is well within the latitude of reasonable use given a public facility. Again.. I use my flush analogy + common sense.

Would they start to charge me because my mobile was scanning for their wifi and there was 0.05c of electricity used during the ACK of the signal?
An outlet is reasonably public access unless locked up. A gas tank is pretty much assumed to be secured. I don't think that would float in the courts..lol.

That's the way I see it. Not trying to be an ass even though I can appear to be argumentative a lot.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Let me also say this - guarantee you that officer has taken a few extra minutes for lunch here and there and I bet he has even taken the cruiser to a place to eat rather then drive back to a station and use his personal car, how much gas and tax dollars do you think he has "stolen" taking early breaks and using his cruiser?

Does this joker boot and impound people who do 36 in a 35MPH zone? Give me a ****ing break. I hope he becomes a laughingstock and gets fired. He could have asked the guy to unplug it if it bothered him so much, way too much trouble though I see.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Funny, I went to a parent-teacher meeting the other day. My phone was nearly dead, I took it out along with the cord, plugged it into the wall and charged away. Never did I think I was stealing power.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Funny, I went to a parent-teacher meeting the other day. My phone was nearly dead, I took it out along with the cord, plugged it into the wall and charged away. Never did I think I was stealing power.
Cuz you aren't you pay ****ing school taxes, they don't make profit in any way, shape, or form, nothing they have is "theirs" and even if it was a private school you pay tuition so you can use the ****ing facilities, including outlets.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts