New York Firearms Forum banner

Edward Snowden, patriot or traitor?

• Patriot: Doing the right thing to expose our corrupt government

Votes: 74 89.2%
  • Traitor: Leaking information about our national security that can potentionally put us in harms way

Votes: 9 10.8%
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Patriot.

Source: I have at least 1 functioning brain cell.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Snowden blew the whistle on a lucrative and Constitution-violating scourge also known as the NSA. The fat should be trimmed - the NSA might as well be considered pure lard. Cut 'em loose.

· Registered
9,138 Posts
Wish there was a third choice, I think he is a patriot. In saying that, he signed a contract to uphold secrets that he was intrusted with. He broke that trust, and the contract that he signed. I am glad he did what he did, but I also think he should face the punishment for what he did.

Think of it this way,

There are 4.8 million federal employees and contractors that hold security clearance. Some 1.2 million hold top-secret clearances -- and a third of those are private contractors. This amounts to unprecedented access to highly classified information. Imagine if all of them said the hell with it and started "leaking" all of the information they have. We would be destroyed!

· Registered
5,239 Posts
Anytime Politicians are Outed for doing bad things, i could give a give a Sh*t if its classified material. After all,i am sure they try to classify anything that proves they are screwing us!

· Registered
2,536 Posts
Neither. And both.

A traitor would have had malicious intent above simply enlightening the public. I really don't think this is the case with Snowden. But at the same time, a patriot would be willing to swing for his cause. Clearly not the case here.

He is just a guy that did what needed to be done in order to expose one layer of corruption in our government. Will it bring about change? Not in favor of the people.

· Registered
825 Posts
Wish there was a third choice, I think he is a patriot. In saying that, he signed a contract to uphold secrets that he was intrusted with. He broke that trust, and the contract that he signed. I am glad he did what he did, but I also think he should face the punishment for what he did.

Think of it this way,

There are 4.8 million federal employees and contractors that hold security clearance. Some 1.2 million hold top-secret clearances -- and a third of those are private contractors. This amounts to unprecedented access to highly classified information. Imagine if all of them said the hell with it and started "leaking" all of the information they have. We would be destroyed!
Couldn't disagree more. Crimes are being committed, the contract is unenforcable.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
I want to say patriot but the fact that he is running to Russia and is most likely going to help them makes me say traitor. I honestly doubt he's doing it for the same reasons one of us would.
I think the only reason he went to Russia was to be out of the reach of US law enforcement or a secret military OP to take him out. If I wanted to feel safe from the reach of the US government, Russia would be at the top of my list. It is the country that the US is least likely to violate its' sovereignty because of the serious military risk of violating their territory. If he was in South America, the US could easily send a team to take him out.

Besides, Snowden does not have military secrets in his possession, only data on spying on US citizens. I do not see major strategic value in that data for the Russian government. We have much more to fear from our government having this information than the Russians.

· Registered
14,520 Posts
I see him as a patriot for exposing illegal government programs targeting US citizens. I don't think (from what I know) that he has any information that would put US citizens, or military personel in any danger. The government controlled media is obviously going to try to make him look like a traitor so as to not garner any support from the American population, and so that people back off pushing for an investigation... seriously, why are heads not rolling about these programs right now?

· Registered
2,282 Posts
History will judge him as a Patriot by those of us who stand up for freedom and actually believe in the Constitution, those that want to interpret the Constitution in order to give Government more power or have an agenda against it will portray him as a traitor.

· Registered
1,598 Posts
I'll go with a traitor, who should be executed. The guy runs to our enemies with our secrets and 38 of you at last count can't tell the difference? Your privacy is a thing of the past, there is no privacy in this day and age. You all post regularly on at least one web blog, you have Facebook and how many other social networking sights? Privacy is ridiculous notion of a forgone age. Deal with it, you can't even hide in a spider hole.

If the guy stuck around and fought it, maybe. He goes to China and Russia? That's a no brainer, give me a rope.

· Registered
2,282 Posts
So there is no expectation of privacy anymore? When you call someone on the telephone or send an email it is now suddenly OK for the Government to monitor, listen and read? Since when is the 4th amendment now void?

· Registered
10,544 Posts
I'll go with a traitor, who should be executed. The guy runs to our enemies with our secrets and 38 of you at last count can't tell the difference? Your privacy is a thing of the past, there is no privacy in this day and age. You all post regularly on at least one web blog, you have Facebook and how many other social networking sights? Privacy is ridiculous notion of a forgone age. Deal with it, you can't even hide in a spider hole.

If the guy stuck around and fought it, maybe. He goes to China and Russia? That's a no brainer, give me a rope.
Only if you promise to hang yourself with it, traitor.

· Registered
8,594 Posts

Have to completely disagree with this. We absolutely have a right to privacy, hello can you say Fourth Amendment?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Is that not clear enough? Did the framers not use clear language? What are your papers and effects? The government has absolutely no right to ANY of your private information without a valid search warrant signed by a judge supported by oath or affirmation (under the penalty of perjury) in a pending criminal investigation - period. It is truly mind boggling that the entire population is not marching in the streets at what the NSA and our corrupt government is doing in the name of public safety. Isn't this the same argument the Nazis made to take away one right after another? What is next? Hell what is even left?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.