New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't firearms related in the least bit.

But...since this restaurant has been an institution in Western New York and the southern tier for the greater part of the last century, I figured that a good handful of us would be interested to know that Earl Northrup, owner of the infamous Earl's restaurant in Chaffee, NY, has passed away today.

I ate at Earl's from time to time, growing up.
In addition to the generous portions and low prices, I thought it was neat that Earl himself was always hanging around the place...greeting customers, sweeping up, or actually waiting tables.
That's not something you see too often anymore in restaurants.

Living in the city, taking the drive out to Earl's for lunch was definitely a fun little trip.
It was definitely a neat destination. On days when everyone would be bored and looking for something to do, driving out to Earl's was a great way to spend an afternoon.

Being open for 56 years, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has fond memories of this place.

It was a bummer to see them close for good.
And learning of Earl's death is even more sad.

Anyone remember this place?

Sky Plant Hat Fedora Building

ObitsforLife.com - Earl W. Northrup
Earl

·
Registered
664 Posts
Spent a lot of early mornings there before hitting the woods and streams. That was before I had my camp, now I get to sleep in while the young guys make breakfast. Earl was a great guy and would come around and talk to everyone like they were his good friends and I don't remember ever leaving hungry or disappointed.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Drive past twice a month and I still cannot believe it went out of business! Sad to see Earl go, he was a cool guy and it was a very unique experience eating at Earl's.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
He taught me how to shoot spit balls at the servers. So when I had my daughter, I took her, and he taught her also. A great guy will be missed

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Yep, Earl was one of the good ones! I can remember going in there for dinner a couple of times each summer while down at our other camp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts