New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken a look at the Earl Tablet site? www.meetearl.com Seems like a preppers delight. Price is expected to be $299 when it hits the market. Feature set is amazing for the price:

1. 20 Hour Battery Life
2. Solar Panel built in for charging
3. AM/FM radio
3. Weather Radio
4. Short Wave Radio
5. GMRS, PMR446 and UHFCB
6. GPS
7. Integrated Weather Sensors for forecasting
8. Android OS
9. Glove Friendly touchscreen
10. Fllx screen
11. Water/dust/shock proof

Cant wait to try this baby out..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That looks very cool with great features. Crowd funding has almost tripled their goal. May be worth getting in now if still possible.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Is that a black and white only LCD?
Yes and no. It is an E-ink display; like an Amazon Kindle. These types of displays have very low power consumption and look great in direct lighting. The drawback is that they are not backlit and only do a limited grayscale. They need some sort of light guide in front of the panel (like the Kindle Paperwhite) or an external light source in order to be used in the dark or under low light conditions. Interesting choice by the designer.

1024x758 6" flexible E-ink screen designed by PVI provides superior visibility in direct sunlight."Lunar" mode for nighttime illumination also doubles as an emergency lantern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But is it EMP proof?
Ha, that is the same thing I said to someone earlier today... It is if you keep it in a faraday cage.... Bigger question.. is it CME proof?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've been following the development of the Earl for a year, it seems like it's taking forever. I guess they're waiting for the FCC and CE certification. I've been thinking about getting in on it, but I'm concerned because it's a new product. And I'm wondering if there will be a second generation. If not, it may be a dead end product. Still it will be a cool device if it works like they intend.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I'm investing as soon as I get back stateside.... Starting anything from scratch is tough but this guy is sharing his story which is more honest then most manufacturers will ever be about R&d, bringing to market, etc.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
2 meters under water for an hour is mighty cool!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Everything is good until it says Android.
Google is the nr. one privacy squatter right now.
It is sad because technically is pretty good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts