New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're bringing back online postal matches on a trial basis. If we keep getting people participating, we'll keep doing them.

I will set up some rules and we will be on the honor system. Targets can be scanned and sent or a photo of the targets sent in.

Here is my dilema that I would like input on....

We are only going to run one contest at a time. No exceptions. Previously I had 4 categories and ran one per month. Rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, centerfire pistol and centerfire rifle. Then there was iron sights vs. optics.

I would like to include as many people as possible and not everyone has a pistol permit or owns guns for all four categories. But... letting someone with a centerfire pistol compete against someone with a rimfire pistol shooting the same target at the same distance does not keep it fair.

Irons vs. optics is easy... irons shoot the target at a closer distance then optics.

So if anyone has any input on how to include the most people while still running only one at a time please share your thoughts. I'm at a loss other than keeping shooting distances short and having all pistols compete or all rifles.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
You can't please everyone. Do the best you can, and if you can't accommodate everyone, than so be it. You doing this voluntarily on you time and we all appreciate it even if we can't shoot a particular match this month or next ...

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We can always do a match for prizes and let people shoot guns not of the type in the match just for fun and bragging rights against other people that are also shooting guns that aren't the type listed for the match.

"Grudge matches" or whatever you want to call it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
For the unfair match-ups to keep more people participating you could always handicap the a rimfire to centerfire matchup. Or you could always penalize in general if your not using the correct type of firearm. So that way the underdogs have to shoot all that much better.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the unfair match-ups to keep more people participating you could always handicap the a rimfire to centerfire matchup. Or you could always penalize in general if your not using the correct type of firearm. So that way the underdogs have to shoot all that much better.
I like it!

Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think running one per month is a good idea...and stagger them rimfire pistol, centerfire rifle, centerfire pistol, rimfire rifle, so that those that have no pistol permit can participate every other month. I'm not sure about you guys, but a month seems to go by like a week these days.

I saw the other post on starting this up again and I'm excited. I wasn't a member when they were run before, but I think this would be a great game to help get me to the range. And also, a good excuse for me to tell the wife I have to go for my online competition. I won't win, as I'm not a great shot, but I'd sure like to try!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If someone can explain how this works I'd be interested in trying it.
I will post more details when we start but basically you print out a target that we provide on 8.5x11 paper, shoot it following the course of fire posted with each match and send in either a scanned image or a digital photo of your target for scoring. Prizes will eventually be available for the top 3 each month. You'll be able to shoot the match as many times as you like and send your best target.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Heres an idea so everybody could play, every month. You can do one contest each month, but name winners for four different categories. When targets are submitted, people would have to declare which they competed with: rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, centerfire pistol, centerfire rifle. The initial contest write-up would state which distance for each of the four categories. As far as optics, I would only allow them for centerfire rifle since they are most likely to be shooting a longer distance (100 yds?). If we want to measure ability, let's stay with iron's!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i guess I don't understand why you can't just have four sections?

If there are four generic types (as stated) why not just have 4 sub-sections going, or 4 threads that get locked every month and new ones created?

Unless i'm missing something, aside from creating rules and hosting the target image somewhere, it seems like this runs itself?

I print out target, get my distance, shoot my heart out and on the last day of the month I post my submission... I then take it down after seeing how much better everyone else is, LOL

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
LOL. I think he is trying to only have one going to maximize participation in the competitions. I guess participation was lacking last time.

My only concern though with doing 1 a month is that it might fall out of peoples minds after the first one. If this gets a lot of consistent participation I can think of a lot of ways to make it more interesting.

Another idea atleast for the beginning to reward participation could be some type of handicapping system. For example lets say 10 people participate in first shoot. if you place 10th - 7th and you compete the following week so many points added to next weeks score. Then for 6th -3rd place you get less points added to next weeks if you participate. That way it will keep the matches closer and be an incentive to shoot again.

It could get complicated but again it could be just at first to get maximum participation.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just wondering....How many of us dont have a rim fire?

What do you guys think about not worrying about rifle or pistol. just run optics (magnified) or iron sights. pick your poison and compete. if I out shoot someone with my 22 pistol when they have a rifle...all the better...lol

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Jeff,
Just out of curiousity. did you see my post in the rimfire section, of the rules from the match I shot from another site? There is also a centerfire match that runs at the same time with similar rules,just different distances. I could repost them here for possible modification ideas.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep I saw them. I am going to take those and our old rules and see what I come up with for this. Had planned on doing it all tonight but I have to run out and I'm not sure when I'll be home so it might not be for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Thats fine. I was just wondering what you thought of them and if they were something that you could use or modify.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Well, on the matches themselves, I'm very supportive of bringing them back. I loved them back when we used to have them.

As far as scoring, you could always have separate rules depending on what people are firing. You would have to customize them for each match, which might be tedious, so why not set up a handicap system that can be applied to all matches. Use a point based system. Iron sights? +5 handicap. Rimfire? +5 handicap. Allow the ability to stack them and you'll find that the points adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Just wondering....How many of us dont have a rim fire?

What do you guys think about not worrying about rifle or pistol. just run optics (magnified) or iron sights. pick your poison and compete. if I out shoot someone with my 22 pistol when they have a rifle...all the better...lol
I know you do!! I sent you the dang Marlin 60 inner mag tube!! Pistol vs a rifle?? Oh boy ... LOL this could get interesting. Will the scan or camera pick up the powder residue from when CCHC shot the target from 12" away?? Hahahahahaha

1 - 20 of 83 Posts