New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An aquantinance at work has had his pistol permit for 20 years and it is unresricted and he currently lives in Greene county. He wants to get another pistiol but is worried about the background check for the admendment. 5 years ago he was convicted of a misdemeanor DWI in NY. He says that his permit probably should have been suspended but might have fallen through the cracks at the time. I think he is overly paronoid about it being suspended now, but this is NY and i'm no lawyer. There was no accident involved , actually he was pulled over on the shoulder when the cops happened to pass by, but he had his wife and kids in the car and thats why they didn't reduce the charges very much. He knows he screwd up big time, totaly out of character of him as far as I can see and is very thankfull that nobody was hurt because of his stupidity and vows never to put himself in that situaition again. So can they suspended his licence after all this time or is he being overly paroinoid ?

·
Registered
774 Posts
They don't always pull your permit for a DWI. I know someone that got a DWI and did not lose his permit. I would just got buy the gun and add it to his permit. The county clerk does not run a back ground check on you to add a gun to your permit.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
He has a BGC for an amendment?

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Contact thee a lawyer.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I've never heard of a background check for an amendment to be added. Only a NICS from the selling dealer at time of transfer. The NICS isn't even run until after the amendment is added anyway.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
None of you guys have ever heard of the Brady check done every 5 years?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The NICS is always done before an amendment! If it wasn't done that way, a gun gets added, the person had a dis-qualifier for whatever reason, then the gun would have to be removed. It's just not done that way. Obviously if there was a reason the person failed the NICS there would be a problem with the permit too at that point.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Every Background check(4473) is done prior to purchasing any firearm. I think the OP was refering to the DWI showing up on the check as a disqualifier.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Every Background check(4473) is done prior to purchasing any firearm. I think the OP was refering to the DWI showing up on the check as a disqualifier.
A DWI is not a federal disqualifier for owning a gun.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You guys are ****ED by having to REGISTER TO BUY A HANDGUN!. It's all BULL****. The State has all of the information at their fingertips, this **** that they wrote is only feel good propagrama that will give then votes next ellection. f#(k all DEMOCRAPES!!!PERIOD, VOTE 100%REPUBLICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It's not just the democraps the repocraps FU** us also on the un safe crap. You know the ones that won't back Astorino.:mad:

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
None of you guys have ever heard of the Brady check done every 5 years?
Its my understanding that you needed a Brady check if you were buying a pistol from an individual. Basically since you weren't getting a NICS check it was a way to make sure nothing changed in your backround. With the unSAFE act though I don't think Brady checks are ever done anymore since a NICS check has to be done now for the transfer by a FFL.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Just had a Brady check for a gun I purchased from a individual ,my Brady check is now good for 5 years.
Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Saratoga county amendment for has the following at the bottom.

HAVE YOU BEEN ARRESTED, INDICTED, OR CONVICTED OF ANY CRIMINAL OFFENSE, OR BEEN A PATIENT AT ANY MENTAL INSTITUTION SINCE
THE ABOVE LICENSE WAS ISSUED? (CIRCLE ONE) NO YES
IF YES, GIVE DETAILS ON REVERSE

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is a questioner at the permit office you need to sign asking if you have ever been arrested. This happened to a friend of mine 2 yrs ago when adding a .45 to his permit from me. He said he didn't even get cuffed but it was in the system that an arrest was made. Just don't lie if the question comes up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts