New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got invited duck hunting this year, never been, will be using my M500 Pump, what size shot and what choke? I think we will be hunting the Niagara River, what is duck hunting etiquette? I kow I need a duck stamp right? anythign else?

·
Registered
839 Posts
4 is best for ducks i like bb loads to tho for when you goose is open and your not sure what will come in. Not sure where your hunting but if its at grand island they require you have a dog or small boat for retrieval as well as hunting license duck stamp and proof of waterfall id course when you draw blinds

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I like federal deuces and a full choke...I can always let them get further away, I never know how close they are going to get

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I like a modified choke but depending on your distance another choke could be better. Modified is a good starting point. I like #2 shot from Federal with a flight control wad. That means black cloud ammo. The black cloud is kind of a gimmick but it's the only steel shot they sell with the flight control wad.

You need a small game license, a duck stamp and a HIP number (free).

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I think its on the​ Island eyes, the guy that invited me goes all teh time, I'm sure he has a boat or a dog. What about etiquite, is it just jump as shoot, is there a pecking order? Is flatulance permitted in the blodn (joking, of course it is) Whats a HIP number Jeff?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Harvest Information Program - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Just fill that out and get a number. I print the confirmation and put it in my wallet.

Flatulence is usually permitted. So is belching and swearing. Who gets to shoot will have to be worked out with your hunting partners. Usually the new guy gets first crack at them unless it's a whole flock.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
478 Posts
Keep in mind if you run the flight control wad, it will pattern tighter with less of a choke then if you don't, generally. So Jeff would probably pattern similar with a full choke if he wasn't going to run the flight control wad.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Usually there is a lottery drawing and you pick for a few days each time if you go to the its monday wed and friday night, Who ever gets picked first gets first shot at a blind and so on until everyone gets one who wants one.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Keep in mind if you run the flight control wad, it will pattern tighter with less of a choke then if you don't, generally. So Jeff would probably pattern similar with a full choke if he wasn't going to run the flight control wad.
Yeah, the black cloud with a carlson modified choke patterns smaller than a modified choke with other ammo but a bigger than regular ammo with a full choke. Kind of half way in between.

·
MSG
469 Posts
Farts are funny, if they don't allow farting, I'd find a new hunting partner. I use Blackcloud through a Beretta AL390. Found a decent although not a smoking deal on a new Browning Gold 12 in Shadow Grass. Anyone think the Gold is worth the extra money?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
case studies have shown that farts do indeed attract ducks...as a matter of fact...I farted in my neighbors barn and one of his geese ripped the shirt off my back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts