New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as stated in my other post im allready on the hunt for a new rifle ( i have 3 more slots left in my safe)

I am torn between 2 so here is the situation. ar-15 or 2nd saiga .223

after trying to find preban .223 ak/galil mags and realizing they are scare. I am looking at doing a .223 magwell conversion on my saiga and stocking some preban ar-15 mags. Thus giving me interchangability and stopping me from getting into a whole nother caliber ( .308) I feel this would make the most sense and in the long run save me money.

a S&W MP 15 Sport.. essentially same as a regular MP minus forward assist and dustcover and chrome lined barrel... I cant seem to find any info on if this rifle would accept a different upper. say if i wanted to get a longer barrel etc. in the very far future

The AR would be kept almost entirely stock with the exception of a new forend and foregrip. and thats it. total cost for rifle and mods is just under $700

OR

get another saiga in .223. Currently have the 21in barrel. this one would be a 16in model. of course it would need conversion and i would get a timbersmith stock set to keep the original look and a more aggressive look. however i still would have the mag issue which means another magwell conversion and still getting preban ar mags.

which would again total just under $700 when its all said and done

So price wise it is about the same but there are differences.

1) accuracy based on my current saiga, the AR would win in the accurracy dept. considering this will be mainly a sub 100yrd range gun the AR should more than surpass the AK just based on iron sights alone.

2) systems: i can currently field strip my ak blindfolded. after the conversion i am confident i could take it all the way down to a shell and put it back together without a hiccup (minus the blindfold obviously)... why does this matter you say? well frankly looking at a breakdown diagram of an AR is scary compared to the simplicity of the ak. Due to this, just based on familiarity I lean towards the AK.

this is really my main dillema ... stick with a comfortable platform or take that step into the unknown and attempt to learn both systems equally.. granted there really isnt much to learn with an AK hence 10yr olds can use them

3) well there was a 3rd but after writing all this I cannot remember what it was. :/ though i think if i get into the AR i will end up ditching the saigunov version to go classic and getting a .223 bolt action to fill the long range role... I gotta tell ya I LOVE LOVE LOVE my saiga but i feel i will drift away at some point

So if you read all this thanks lol. and what do you think? what would you do?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Buy another safe and buy the AR, Saiga and bolt gun!

And btw, regarding your other post, there is no cure, just live with it!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Buy parts for an AR build over time and snag another Saiga now. The bolt gun can wait, They will be the last to be banned.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
"stick with a comfortable platform or take that step into the unknown|"
Makes sense to stick to comfortable and also take the step into the AR. do not have to buy everything at once but you will end up with several of each. Almost guaranteed !! lol

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Since you already have a Sagia I would go with an AR platform, why do you ask? They may be a bit more complicated but that is what I find fun in firearms, I can strip down all 15 of my unique firearms, granted on alot of them that isn't hard (Mosin Nagants, a bolt action shotgun.....etc.) but knowing it all is the fun part, you already have a rifle you can strip down in a minute flat while blindfolded, go for something a little different, and in .223/5.56 caliber the AR will always be superior to the AK platform, because the AR was started in the .223/5.56 caliber, in the same way that a 7.62x39 AR will never be as reliable or feed quite as nicely as an AK47 will. I would go with the AR in your position, expand my firearms experience and try something new.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'll put another vote in for an AR. Once you figure out how they come apart and go together, it's easier than stripping an AK. No gas tube lever to cut your fingers on, too! And everything fits together better. And accuracy is better. And if you've already got a .223 Savage it does seem sort of silly to get a second one this early on.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you listen to Gunner, you'll end up broke and divorced! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts