New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of talk about getting a radio for when SHTF!What kind of radio would work best?I used to have CB's but that was a long time ago.Probably would want one thats portable,anyone have/getting one this year,If so what you got/getting?I was just checking out the new Galaxys,and the 2547 base really looks like a winner.....

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
With so many FRS/GMRS radios out there I would not be without one so I have a bunch. CB's are defiantly another option if others have them.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea and you can talk Skip,if thats what they still call it.That can reach to Mexico or pretty much all the United states.I had the Galaxy 2527 before,but I think someone converted it to CB.I really do not know much about them...

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also had the Antron antenna,the long stick antenna that worked great and pretty cheap.And it was Converted/peeked/talk-back and echo,wish I never sold it!!!!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Kenwood TS2000

·
Registered
13 Posts
Best bet is to go with a mobile/portable VHF/UHF radio. CB's have a 3-5 mile range max on a good day. Get your HAM license and join the fun.

G

·
When there's trouble your best bet is to stay off the electromagnetic spectrum.

Monitor as many relevant frequencies as you can but don't transmit.

If you must transmit keep it short and encrypt important details.

Two-way communications with anything other than HAM equipment will be limited to line of sight. The more common frequencies (CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS, etc.) will be crowded and definitely monitored.

If you anticipate using this gear during an emergency don’t count on repeaters.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best bet is to go with a mobile/portable VHF/UHF radio. CB's have a 3-5 mile range max on a good day. Get your HAM license and join the fun.
Yea thats what I really do not know much about.I know the Galaxy 2527 I had was side band and could get out pretty far at night talking Skip.But if I remember correctly when I talk about converting it,they talked about changing the wave length (if you ever heard about that)?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Go over to preparedsociety.com. they have a whole forum dedicated to comms. but if there is anything more than a local SHTF type sitution there won't be any comms, or they will be monitored. Whatever is available to us is peanuts compared to what the monitors have. You'd be better off with smoke signals.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go over to preparedsociety.com. they have a whole forum dedicated to comms. but if there is anything more than a local SHTF type sitution there won't be any comms, or they will be monitored. Whatever is available to us is peanuts compared to what the monitors have. You'd be better off with smoke signals.
Yep I agree,not a high priority on surviving IMO.Maybe just chalk that one up as a maybe but not needed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Strongly disagree. Depending on the nature of the SHTF scenario, it could save your life or your sanity. Imagine no internet, cell phone, TV or over-the-air radio. Life gets dramatic real fast. If you don't mind being thrust into the dark ages without a tether to society, then no problem. If you could avoid such a scenario I'm sure that would be better. When all else fails, radio will survive. The purpose of radio is to be monitored... someone on the other end always helps. If going dark or black ops is the order of the day, then its into the spider hole :)

Check here for a good primer: Ham Radios - AR15.COM

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was at my brothers today and he said he had my late dads radio,so i picked it up.Its got side band and powers-up as i hooked it up to the car battery!Not bad and i think i will putter with it and see how it works.Probably just get a car antenna right now and see if it actually transmits and/or receives.....This was a good radio back in the day,but need a lil TLC!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Whatever is available to us is peanuts compared to what the monitors have. You'd be better off with smoke signals.
Not quite. Digital radios and encryption are available to the general public, and aren't all that expensive. I have procured a great deal of radio equipment over the years, and it makes use of various bands, modulation schemes, and encryption formats.

Can it be monitored by someone who is determined? Absolutely. First, they'd have to find the frequency I'm using at the time. Then they'd have to determine which digital protocol I'm using, then they'd have to determine which of the dozen commonly-used encryption protocols I'm using. The most basic protocol I use is 40-bit has 2.36 x 10^21 available encryption keys. The most advanced encryption protocol I use is 256 bits in length and has a number of possible keys that exceeds numeric notation.

Realistically, it would take the US Government several months of dedicated distributed supercomputer power to hear my voice in the clear. That is, if they even care about MY hunting and gathering in the event of a SHTF scenario.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts