New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
do not use anyone of a questionable "character". meaning no one with an arrest record, even an extremely poor driving record can be used against you. although i question that they have to be orange county residents. thats how it is supposed to be in westchester county, but after spending years trying to get to know neighbors long enough to ask them to be references for me (i wasted 5 years on this because i dont work in westchester, i didnt grow up there, and i am a home body) i found out that they dont HAVE to be westchester county residents, but that they prefer it. so i got 3 out of county residents to be my references and i got my permit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd agree.. best to pass on using a reference of someone whom you know was arrested. I think it would tend to make them think that you might frequently hang out with them.. not that it's anyone's business who you associate with, but still they might think otherwise.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would stick to those references that have a clean record. If they have a permit themselves, without any issues therewith, even better. I would hope it would show they are responsible, law-abiding owners and see you as like-minded.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with all of the responses above. In Oswego county the instructions regarding references specifically state: "Must be of good moral character with no criminal arrests". Assume your references will have a cursory background check themselves.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Things may have changed now, or it may have been a pecularity of my judge or county...

When I applied for my permit a couple of decades ago, I used a neighbor and two guys I went to high school with who had become cops in the same county that issued the permit. I got my application mailed back to me with a letter saying I could not use cops as references as it was a liability (?!?!). When I resubmitted with different references it breezed right through.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think we should also view this question from the point of view of the person supplying the reference. If someone you know...even your best friend asks you to be a reference, you should have a frank and honest discussion before signing on. They have an obligation to you and your "good name" that they fully understand and accept the responsibility of owning/carrying a concealed weapon. They must convince you that they will become proficient with the use of firearms, store them securely, keep them away from children, and be respectful of laws and ordinances that apply to handguns. They must understand they are carrying a deadly weapon..and that its use must only be considered in the "gravest extreme"...where the imminent threat of loss of life to you or another leaves you no recourse or option. Too many folks who have handguns treat the responsibility "too lightly".....we all have an obligation to each other to be sure all handgun owners except "the full resposibility"...frankly we should demand it of everyone..no excuses.

Tom

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think we should also view this question from the point of view of the person supplying the reference. If someone you know...even your best friend asks you to be a reference, you should have a frank and honest discussion before signing on. They have an obligation to you and your "good name" that they fully understand and accept the responsibility of owning/carrying a concealed weapon. They must convince you that they will become proficient with the use of firearms, store them securely, keep them away from children, and be respectful of laws and ordinances that apply to handguns. They must understand they are carrying a deadly weapon..and that its use must only be considered in the "gravest extreme"...where the imminent threat of loss of life to you or another leaves you no recourse or option. Too many folks who have handguns treat the responsibility "too lightly".....we all have an obligation to each other to be sure all handgun owners except "the full resposibility"...frankly we should demand it of everyone..no excuses.

Tom
If you dont already know them well enough to be assured that you do not need to have this frank and honest discussion with them you may not be the best person to sign their permit.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
If you dont already know them well enough to be assured that you do not need to have this frank and honest discussion with them you may not be the best person to sign their permit.
True enough but with this BS requirement of 5 from the county that are not relatives, it can be very tough. It is a big thing to ask of someone. One of the people I asked hates guns and refused. Totally shocked me, been a friend for 20 years. I ended up having to use one person I only knew for a year but this arbitrary requirement to have 5 people be a reference I think is just used to make it harder for people to get permits. Besides, is anyone going to ask someone they think will give a bad reference? Wouldn't a friend probably lie anyway? So what purpose do the references serve except to be a hurdle to make us overcome? If you have a clean record, that should be enough. This requirement is total BS.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Does it matter who you use for the character references?seems like a rather obvious answer

What is the alternative, no it doesn't matter, you can put down 1 felon, 1 rapist, 1 child molester, and 1 wife beater.

It's cool

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
i don't think orange calls on your references, when i got my permit- they never contacted my references.
In Onondaga, they mail a form to the reference that must be signed under the penalty of perjury. If they don't send it back, they won't process it. I got a call two months after I thought all the references were in from the Sheriff saying that he still had not submitted it. I jumped on his case and he sent it in. Then I got my permit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I respectfully disagree...there are many layers of knowledge when it comes to "what you know about someone"...I have many dear friends who have never broached the gun issue with me in any great detail...should that time arise and if they were to inquire about owning a handgun I would be respectful and deliberate on the subject. But , I will concede that I wouldn't even have the conversation if they weren't already a "quality" person in my mind. Thanks for the feedback...I think it helps accent the importance connected to this subject.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i don't think orange calls on your references, when i got my permit- they never contacted my references.
I put down my landlord who happens to be a lawyer, and happened to be CCW (I didn't know), the president of the company I work for now, and a former co-worker, who happened to be a former corrections officer and CC off of her badge (I didn't know that either).

I was also asked for a couple of others at my interview. One of the people I offered wasn't accepted because he's a judge. Apparently they're not allowed to be references for pistol permits. I also mentioned one of the troopers I helped stitched up in the ER (I'm an RN) and a couple of others I know.

All of my references were called as well as my ex. My doctor was called to check whether the Rx I take has any mental or behavioral side effects. And my educational and employment history was confirmed.

He did a very thorough investigation. This took eight months from when I submitted the application and the receipt for the prints, pix & FBI record check. Althrough it really only took four months from when I had my interview which is when he actually started the investagation.

This is in Franklin County.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Livingston is very quick and simple as it should be. References are sent letters to fill out, usually the day after you submit your application, then they interview you and get three additional references they contact in person. Whole process is about 2 months give or take, not bad compared to what you others put up with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.