New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by now i think most know that they suspended the law as it pertains to purchasing magazines with 10 or more rounds so that we can still purchase magazines that hold up to 10 rounds, but can only load up to 7.

my question is specific to semi auto shotguns. per the unsafe act, any semi auto with more than a 7 round fixed mag tube has been defined as an assault weapon. but if they lifted the restrictions on LCAFD's does this now make semi auto shotguns with up to, but under 10 rounds no longer assault weapons?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Does anyone know? I wouldn't trust a politician on any of this, until amendments are voted on and passed, the law is the law, and I wouldn't count on any leeway.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I looked this up and, of course, there are inconsistencies. A 7-round magazine is an AW where 5 and less are considered exempt (no mention of six rounds or "greater than 5-rounds"). But that doesn't answer the question.

My guess is (since it's not defined) that the 7-round capacity is still an AW until it is specifically exempted. I'd like to think that one could buy something with more than 7 capacity and only load 7, but we're playing with fire on this one...

·
Registered
184 Posts
So...does this mean that the Remington 870 ban is still coming next year? That's got injunction written all over it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts