New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this topic has probably been beat to death, but i'm still wondering what the level of optimism/pessimism that exists out there is. Given the current landscape of our state and our nation and the recent division of our nations circuit court of appeals, the shocking (at least it was shocking to me) overturn of Illinois and California's concealed carry handgun laws, the recent decision in DC, etc....Do you think we will ever become a shall issue state? Honestly what do you think the chances are that it happens soon? (by soon i mean in the next 5 years, not the next 25 years) I want more good guys out on our streets with guns. The more the better IMO.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Personal opinion is unlikely in the next 5 years. Peruta, Moore, and Palmer were all challenges to an absolute ban on carry outside the home. What was effectively struck down were "No Issue" policies. I think that NY will be able to fall back on Sullivan for the foreseeable future. There is a challenge forthcoming soon though from Shooter et al. It will be a very exciting case to follow as it makes it way up the ladder. It's purely ridiculous that May Issue residents need to get the permission of a government entity to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You know, I came up with a really long answer and I went on with a really long analogy of what optimism with NYS politics is like. My shorter answer is going to be, make your own decisions and therefore act against certain laws individually that have articles including those as a full with any unconstitutional laws or those deemed to be as such. The next thing I would do is not wait on a state to repeal or change anything. Personally I have no faith in NY, I've lived here long enough, but I don't let certain things or tactics to base or set all of my decision making, that's all. You can put your foot down, a lot of us already have, the details don't need to be publicized, but It's everyone's right to act outside anything unconstitutional if that's what you choose.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
No.

·
Registered
346 Posts
All it will take is to VOTE VOTE VOTE for 2A friendly pols!!!!

Too many people think it's hopeless and don't vote
:(

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My totally wild ass guess is that inside of 5 years the matter hits scotus and it's then either shall issue across the US, or they say the 2A doesn't guarantee that, in which case it will NEVER happen. Popular views on guns are souring and I can't see a liberal-leaning state like NY back pedaling on this unless scotus forces it to.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I actually think it will. Good traction in the lower courts to create divisions among them. I wouldn't be surprised if SCOTUS hears it next year or the year after and rules favorably.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
HA, I wish, Newyorkistan will eventually become a shall not posses state.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I actually think it will. Good traction in the lower courts to create divisions among them. I wouldn't be surprised if SCOTUS hears it next year or the year after and rules favorably.
Hope that light at the end of the tunnel isn't the bus coming!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
NY Shall Issue......Not an ice cubes chance in hell. We'll be fortunate to remain May Issue and prevent continual erosion of our rights (think back to 1/15/13).

I feel like a frog and the water is more than warm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sense a lot of pessimism here. I am a hair more on the optimistic side. I think SCOTUS will take up a case eventually and i am not claiming or thinking that they are the heroes and saviors of all 2A rights, far from it, but i do think that they will side with a blanket requirement of shall issue due to the division of our various circuit court of appeals, rather than take away shall issue from everyone. SAFE or not NY cant override a federal law. I still have a shred of hope in me. It has dwindled but it is there.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I sense a lot of pessimism here. I am a hair more on the optimistic side. I think SCOTUS will take up a case eventually and i am not claiming or thinking that they are the heroes and saviors of all 2A rights, far from it, but i do think that they will side with a blanket requirement of shall issue due to the division of our various circuit court of appeals, rather than take away shall issue from everyone. SAFE or not NY cant override a federal law. I still have a shred of hope in me. It has dwindled but it is there.
The pessimism is rightfully so, myself and a few others one here have been paying attention since the 80's or longer, we have seen NOTHING go in our favor in this state. Nothing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The pessimism is rightfully so, myself and a few others one here have been paying attention since the 80's or longer, we have seen NOTHING go in our favor in this state. Nothing.
I totally understand where you are coming from but if the supreme court did take a case it would be irrelevant what NY thinks or wants, right? Thats all my point is.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I totally understand where you are coming from but if the supreme court did take a case it would be irrelevant what NY thinks or wants, right? Thats all my point is.
It should be irrelevant. Yet NY continues to ignore Heller and MacDonald. And NYC takes it even further than the rest of the state to infringe on the rights of its residents.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You know, I came up with a really long answer and I went on with a really long analogy of what optimism with NYS politics is like. My shorter answer is going to be, make your own decisions and therefore act against certain laws individually that have articles including those as a full with any unconstitutional laws or those deemed to be as such. The next thing I would do is not wait on a state to repeal or change anything. Personally I have no faith in NY, I've lived here long enough, but I don't let certain things or tactics to base or set all of my decision making, that's all. You can put your foot down, a lot of us already have, the details don't need to be publicized, but It's everyone's right to act outside anything unconstitutional if that's what you choose.
great post
thank you

personally, I do not depend on NYS to tell me what is right, or wrong

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
w0w ..
how many times do you have to get kicked in the teeth, before it hurts ..??
sullivan act ..?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Nope....its a headlight on this:
It would be so very worth the time in the pen to jam a broomstick in the spokes of that front wheel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts