New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I will be planting 1300 hops plants... my 223 and the 22-250 will also be there ...unidentified sources have indicated that a full battalion of varmint cong will be moving through the area and you know how much they like Hops with rice. I will be in my foxhole on ambush at 0500. All newspersons have been evacuated to the rear.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
A guy I work with has a Hops garden. One day I ran into him in the office talking to Ragnar from this site about it and whether or not animals eat the plants. He said he had some deer tracks around them and nothing had been eaten yet because they taste bitter. I would assume that if deer won't eat them then there is a good change that woodchucks won't either.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Its a foxhole lol but I guess when he has taken out all enemy forces he could use it as a mass grave. Just dont video tape it....... Dont want the U.N. to get involved.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Foxhole??? Are the woodchucks shooting back?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I have two bines, never had any ting eat them, both are Cascades. Had Kent goldings at another place I live and nothing bothered them either. but I don't have chucks by me, just rabbits and squirrels.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man you weren't kidding!

What kind of hops you growing?
today we planted cascades ...there are still 1200 more to go of a few other varieties, my daughter picked them up. Brewers gold and challenger I don't remember the other two. it was a lonnnnng day.

·
6,795 Posts
Do you own your own brewery? That is a lot of hops! Good luck and I hope no animals eat away your hard work.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see a brewery and a winery in my future...im studying grapes now ....and a pale ale...<hic>

·
6,795 Posts
I have made a bunch of beer in past (never progressed to all grain but did my own hop schedules) but havent tried making wine. What kind of beers do you make? What abv% usually?

P.S. sorry for getting kinda off topic

·
6,795 Posts
really lol? I didnt think that many people brewed their own beer. one of the things I like to do (don't need the fancy stuff lol) when its warm out is to use big totes to put fermenters in (no top on tote obviously) and fill it with water. Then I duct taped a digital thermometer probe in the water. Then to keep water temp (helps maintain steady fermenter temp) I throw in frozen 2 liter bottles as needed.
Craziest beer I ever made was a ghost pepper beer. Some of them were spicier then others but overall they were good and not to hot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts