New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm from Alaska, but moved to NYC 7 years ago after living for 3 years in Japan.
I got my shotgun/rifle permit a couple of years ago, and just got my handgun premise liscense this year because I needed to buy a SAA for fast draw school.
Of course, being from Alaska, I find NYC firearms laws to be absolutely insane.
I joined the forum mostly because stumbled upon it while I was looking for information about those insane laws, and thought this might be a good place to get info.
It looks like most people here aren't from the city, but I think I'll stick around just 'cause I like talking guns, and there's not many people in the city that I can have those conversations with.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Welcome. A very good friend of mine who is now living in NY grew up in Maine and was stationed in Alaska and Florida during his stint in the Air Force and boy do I hear it from him. The way he tells it, the only gun law you needed to remember in Alaska was to remember to have you're 44 Mag strapped on when you took out the garbage, lol...

·
Banned
478 Posts
Welcome, it's got to be hard making the transition, we've never felt real freedom, you had a taste of it, haha.

Have you ever had any close encounters with the wildlife back home?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Welcome, im sorry you ended up here. Please don't blame NYF or any member for these stupid laws. I bet if we took a poll the majority would wish to be in alaska right now... Again, welcome.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,

cgrutt, yeah, pretty much. Though, in my house the law was more along the lines of ".45 CCW in town, .44 Mag open carry minimum outside of town."
The laws are quite nice there. When I was there you needed a permit for CCW, but now you could walk into a grocery store, buy a gun, walk out with it and carry it CCW right then, no permit necessary.
I did get scolded by a police officer (who had pulled me over because I failed to turn on my headlights) once for not being armed. "The CCW permit doesn't do you any good if you leave the gun at home."
Here, so many of the laws seem to be aimed at actually discouraging responsible gun ownership, in favor of irresponsible gun ownership.
The 30 day purchase window, for instance. That's fine if you just want something that goes "bang" and will just pick what's available in the store, but if you've done some research and want something special, it might be hard to get it within that window.
Not allowing online ammo purchases is another. Online ammo is less expensive, which means you can practice more, which means you will be more proficient, and the more proficient a person is with the gun(s) in their home, the safer it will be for everyone.

Transporter, yeah, I've had countless encounters with wildlife. Moose being the most common.
Once, at the cabin, I was out stargazing at night and the family dog faced the lake and growled, then started up the trail toward the cabin.
I wasn't moving fast enough for her tastes, so she did that 2 more times until I was walking up the trail to the cabin with her.
She woke us up by growling at the door just after dawn and we looked out the window to see a black bear. That's my closest encounter with non-moose wildlife in Alaska, I guess.
In Hokkaido, my dog and I were followed by a fox for 30 minutes one time, too.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Welcome to the site. My daughter will be doing a 6 week pharmacy rotation in Sitka next April. Should be quite an adventure for her.

·
awesome for hire.
3,608 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts