New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At dinner the other night my oldest daughter told me she agrees with the fight to protect the 2nd. but she couldn't see any reason why anyone should have an ar15. I tried to talk to her for a few minutes but could not win the disc. I then said OK honey I will agree we don't need an ar15 and YOU agree to give up that Pontiac Solstice you love to tool around in that JUST doesn't feel right or start to hum untill the speedometer reads AT least 80 mph. I WIN.!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I used that same analogy with a turd I know. He was left speechless.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Tell her you believe in the First Amendment but that you don't think people should be allowed to talk bad about the government.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Sadly, my mother feels the same way about AR's, and even an ammo registry. Not enough to get into a heated battle with me, but she does.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The reason may not be too obvious in NY, but the southwest, the need is clear. If I'm a rancher in Arizona or New Mexico, and the cartel or a coyote (the people smuggling type, not the animal) decides to run across the border and start some trouble, THAT's when you need some serious self-defense tools. Or look at it from a riot type of situation, when stuff hits the fan and you need to keep the savages at bay, 7 rounds in a handgun or an 8 round shotgun just might not do it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My best answer has always been:

Q1: "so why does a law enforcement officer need one?"

A: (usual answer) "because he needs to protect himself and others, possibly against multiple aggressors" .

Q2: "and so how is that different for me?"

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My brother in law had the same feeling at a discussion on Thanksgiving. A few other family members agreed with him. The good part came when I asked if any of them knew what an AR15 was exactly and what it might be about them that made them so bad. It got pretty quiet around the table after I asked. Their opinions were based strictly on the media and nobody really knew anything.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a co worker that said the same thing. I asked her basis, and it was the "30 round clip" answer. So I retorted, based on her rationale "no one needs a car that can go over 55mph do they? or a home bigger than 100 sq ft do they?".....dumbfounded

·
Registered
136 Posts
The people I find the most annoying from the "no one needs an AR crowd" are the ones that won't even discuss why. I could easily give them cause to ponder their position but they come out with the "we agree to disagree" ( layman's translation: I know I'm ignorant so why should I give you a chance to prove it.) and won't go any further. I would probably resort to the "FU you ignorant puke" at this point but they're my In-laws. My wife gets rather irritated to say the least so all I can do is rub it in their faces with my pro-gun paraphernalia and the occasional OP-ED to the local paper. My father in law reads the paper religiously but only mentioned one article when I stuck up for the local outdoor sports columnist on a hunting ethics thing. Hmmm...think I just came up with a theme for the next OP-ED. He may not acknowledge but it will certainly ruin his day.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had it with my cousin but talking to people who know absolutely nothing about guns and believe because it called the safe act they feel safer. Most have no clue what they are even defending so don't waste your time. Many of these people also feel like redlight cameras for your safety or the NSA should track every ones phone. The problem is when you rights are taken away then they wake up its to late.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
My munchkin started down the same track with the AW thing, until I reminded her that she has a few guns considered AWs by NY now. Then she realized that she was not making a good argument.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have a nice who has been brainwashed by her liberal douche-canoe boyfriend (and his family). She's convinced that Obamacare is a libertarian point of view.

SMH

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i have a nice who has been brainwashed by her liberal douche-canoe boyfriend (and his family). She's convinced that obamacare is a libertarian point of view.

Smh
Is a libertarian...WAT?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You can't stop stupid, My in-laws by injection are 1'000% liberal democraps, no one should be allowed to have a gun much less a nasty black rifle that was only designed to kill people. You can show them the facts and they are blind to them,tipical brain washed liberal democraps, What the black sheep in the white house says is gospel. He is the lead ram and knows what's best for this country full of sheeple and the sheeple of the world.
**** that scumbag and all of his stupid ass followers, My tthey all die in damnination! I don't need to have any one lead me in any direction, I'll go there all by myself. I don't have a AR and personally don't havea need for one, But will be buying one this year. It's towards the top of the list of 2014 purchaces, once the work picks up I'll be putting one on the lay-away program with one of the PHC Pawn Shops, 10% down and 10% a month. Not knowing a damn thing about them I'll be looking for some advice on what to buy, I'd like to keep it at about $1'500. We can have all of the features on them here in Washington State so I'm not limited to what I have to buy.

These dump piece of **** liberals believe everything the Demps spit out of their **** infested mouth, nothing will ever change that. Just like the piece of **** politicainswho keep getting re-ellected. The more their name is put out there in LaLa Land, they remember that name and vote for that jack-off because they hear that name all of the time, it doesn't matter if it's good or bad.

I can go on and on about these stupid pieces of ****, but all I'd be doing is singing to the choir.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I have a co worker that said the same thing. I asked her basis, and it was the "30 round clip" answer. So I retorted, based on her rationale "no one needs a car that can go over 55mph do they? or a home bigger than 100 sq ft do they?".....dumbfounded
Another analogy might be:
Nobody needs a car that can hold more than 7 gallons of gas.
There is no good reason for having to drive that far without refueling.
After all, nobody is out to take your motorcycle, with its 4 gallon gas tank, away.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I also like to ask the Liberals just how many firearms they've seen run down Main Street, under their own power, and gun down innocent children.

They usually say something like, "Well...a person could certainly use such a gun to kill a lot of people."
"Oh," I say. "And how many people do you think that a 16-year old could kill driving 2.5 tons of metal at 80 miles per hour?" (pause) "Should we next ban cars, metal, gasoline, or 16-year olds? You choose."

·
Registered
613 Posts
We were having Christmas eve dinner with my girlfriend's father and the topic turned briefly to guns. He has pistol permit and has encouraged his daughters to look into it for protection. I let him end the conversation with, "The trouble all started when they let people own military grade weapons." It's useless to try to argue/discuss/etc. anything with him, so I ate his ham and we left. On the way home I asked my girlfriend what she though of his statement and she said he was nuts and had been brainwashed by his hippie friends. She also thanked me for not arguing with him. You can't reason with an unreasonable person.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts