New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all 1st time post and really need advice. I applied for a premise permit in New York city about 1 year ago. I filled out all the information honestly and correct and was called in for a interview like 6 months ago. I just received my disapproval letter stating the reason is because of Mental health history, and says currently being treated for general anxiety disorder with prescription medication. I was honest in my application and told them I was taking medication for panic disorder for over 10 years and that I follow up with my dr every 3 months. I also got a letter from my dr stating that he sees no reason for me not to be able to own a fire arm and I’m in no danger to my self or other. They never contacted him asking him any questions or never called me in to ask me specific questions in this area. I don’t see a reason for someone that has had panic attacks in the past a reason for denial. It’s not like I was ever hospitalized or instituted or was ever depressed. So I’m coming to you guys for help if you can either tell me what I can do or where else I can go for help with this. It does say that I can appeal this within 30 days but I would for sure need help on this and don’t think I would be able to afford a lawyer (depending on how much it would cost and if I even have a case).
If possible please let me know what’s the best way to handle this as I tried looking around the forums but don’t see any case similar to this. And moving out to another state is not an option😛.
Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you have gone this far definitively get a lawyer. They will be merciless in appealing it, even if your Dr. Okayed you they will say you are taking medication and hold it against you. With a good lawyer you should be good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have gone this far definitively get a lawyer. They will be merciless in appealing it, even if your Dr. Okayed you they will say you are taking medication and hold it against you. With a good lawyer you should be good to go.
If that's my only option I guess I will have to look into it. Any recommendations on a good lawyer

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
It is of critical importance that you obtain a lawyer and see this appeal through. A permit denial will follow you around forever. In many states, past permit denials from any state are sufficient reason to deny you a permit in their state.

Scrounge the money together, beg and borrow as needed, but see this through.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is of critical importance that you obtain a lawyer and see this appeal through. A permit denial will follow you around forever. In many states, past permit denials from any state are sufficient reason to deny you a permit in their state.

Scrounge the money together, beg and borrow as needed, but see this through.
Thanks. Yes it seems like that's what I need to do. Any good suggestions on a lawyer with experience in this?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks. Yes it seems like that's what I need to do. Any good suggestions on a lawyer with experience in this?
This is not a personal recommendation from me, as I have no experience with any firearms lawyers in NY, but Amy Bellantoni (https://bellantoni-law.com/) has been recommended by many on this forum over the years, and she appears to be located in the NYC area. From some of the threads here, it sounds like many have had success with her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not a personal recommendation from me, as I have no experience with any firearms lawyers in NY, but Amy Bellantoni (https://bellantoni-law.com/) has been recommended by many on this forum over the years, and she appears to be located in the NYC area. From some of the threads here, it sounds like many have had success with her.
Yes thanks so much I saw her name in some forums and called her today and left a message I haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
in the meantime, if don't already have one, get a pump shotgun with a short-as-is-legal barrel and a mag extender to match the barrel length, a youth/compact 20 gauge would do well, as the shorter LoP / overall length would help in moving around in tight places

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel for you,but I hoped you learned a lesson about giving to much information especially in that state when it has to do with firearms and in the city it's even harder to get a cwp.I read stories all the time like yours,but people here are pointing you in the right direction get the best lawyer who specializes in that area,good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel for you,but I hoped you learned a lesson about giving to much information especially in that state when it has to do with firearms and in the city it's even harder to get a cwp.I read stories all the time like yours,but people here are pointing you in the right direction get the best lawyer who specializes in that area,good luck.
Thanks for the help. I'm sorry but I'm a honest person and wouldn't lie on my application. I'm thinking of trying to appeal this on my own as lawyer are very expensive.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'm sorry but I'm a honest person and wouldn't lie on my application. I'm thinking of trying to appeal this on my own as lawyer are very expensive.
I highly recommend against this. You will not succeed. NYC is corrupt.

I understand the cost will be substantial, but remember that letting this stand will follow you around forever. It's almost like a criminal record. 20/40 years from now you will be so pissed at yourself for not finding a way to pay for a lawyer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I highly recommend against this. You will not succeed. NYC is corrupt.

I understand the cost will be substantial, but remember that letting this stand will follow you around forever. It's almost like a criminal record. 20/40 years from now you will be so pissed at yourself for not finding a way to pay for a lawyer.
It's really that bad? Ok I will try and find other lawyers that are willing to do it for cheaper. Thanks for the lookout

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
It's really that bad?
I'm not really sure. I just know other states ask about whether or not you've ever been denied, and there's only one reason they'd be asking.

Look at the cost as being amortized over your lifetime. $10k ain't so bad if it's spread over 50 years.

You could also try some crowdfunding - gofundme or the like. I don't know if that will help (we'd all be broke if we funded every person who got denied in NYC), but maybe it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello all was wondering if you guys can help me out once again. So I ended up appealing my disapproval. I sent in everything that was needed and they received it on 2/14 which was before the deadline. My question is I haven’t heard anything back from them since. Not even any verification that they received it. Anyone have any experience with how the appeals process works and what I should expect. I do understand that everything was shut down so things are going to be backed up but for now I’m just looking for some type of confirmation that they did receive my appeals and it will be looked at eventually. Thanks

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to get much info on that anytime soon, given the 'rona and all.

I would not be the least bit surprised to hear back from you in six months, telling us that 1PP said they never received your appeal and that your deadline has now passed. Their mission in life seems to be to deny you your constitutionally protected rights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to get much info on that anytime soon, given the 'rona and all.

I would not be the least bit surprised to hear back from you in six months, telling us that 1PP said they never received your appeal and that your deadline has now passed. Their mission in life seems to be to deny you your constitutionally protected rights.
What would be the best way to contact them? Should I try emailing original officer I met with?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I’d call until you get a person.
I know I’m late to the party but lying likely would not have helped you considering they are supposed to report these cases to a database. So there’s a good chance they had this info anyway.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Send everything certified mail so there is always a signature of someone who received it. They did this whole “never received it when I sent in a doctors note”, I was like well who is “John Doe”, and they said, how do you know that name, I said “he signed the certified mail receipt”, then 2 minutes later, “oh we received it, it’s here in your file”

1 - 20 of 31 Posts