New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept putting off buying a firearm in hopes of being able to get an AR15. Seeing how now we have to wait till (at least) 13 June, which I will be stuck in Ft. Knox for a month, I do not wish to put off buying a firearm any longer. I need something to use to practice with before I get to Knox, but also want to keep it for the long haul and use it for HD. It's crunch time and actually DO plan on getting something while I'm still in Monroe.

I have toyed with the idea of an SKS for awhile, but I can't use a 7.62x39 in an apartment complex. I have zero interest in the Mini-14. The SU-16 has peaked my interest, but the A and B models have very thin barrels + I have heard Kel-Tec has less then stellar reliability. M1 Carbine is a classic, just wonder how hard it would be to find a reproduction.

Thoughts, questions, ideas, "**** it you idiot buy a shotgun!"?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This ^

You are obviously concerned about over-penetration. In an apartment your longest shot is going to be what.....5 yards? At that range #4, #2, or BB lead shot will be plenty effective without much worry of wounding the neighbors.

(won't help much with your marksmanship skills though)
Now you see my Dilemma. I'm not rolling in the deep when it comes to cash (who is nowadays) so I can really only afford 1 firearm for awhile. I will be putting in for my pistol permit once I get back home (finals week) so I need to save up for a handgun too.

I assume the practice you are talking about is for M-4 Carbine Army qualification?
I was told it would be the M4.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Good luck man. Have you checked out the Mini-30?

Shotgun is best for defensive purposes if you're in an apartment or something.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought they stopped selling the AR15 in NYS???
I was talking about after an Injunction occurred.

Good luck man. Have you checked out the Mini-30?

Shotgun is best for defensive purposes if you're in an apartment or something.
Problem w/ the mini 30 is the round. I'd be all over a SKS if I didnt have to worry about over penetration.

Man is this a royal pain...

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
you cannot have 7.62x39 in the appartment but the 5.56 is ok? Why?

The SKS is nice but heavy and bulky.
But anyway check aout a .223 saiga. Those are accurate for what they are.
AR in Cuomo's compliant versions I think you can get so you need one of those ugly california stocks and no muzzle brake.
Benelli has an MR1 wiht the hunting stock that is ok.
The keltec SU has been very reliable so I am not sure why we say it is not. The CA model has a nicer barrel but it needs to have the cap pinned and welded on or it needs to be registered.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
you cannot have 7.62x39 in the appartment but the 5.56 is ok? Why?

The SKS is nice but heavy and bulky.
But anyway check aout a .223 saiga. Those are accurate for what they are.
AR in Cuomo's compliant versions I think you can get so you need one of those ugly california stocks and no muzzle brake.
Benelli has an MR1 wiht the hunting stock that is ok.
The keltec SU has been very reliable so I am not sure why we say it is not. The CA model has a nicer barrel but it needs to have the cap pinned and welded on or it needs to be registered.
I can have a 7.62x39, its just not very piratical compared to a 5.56 in the setting I will be living in next year (or even my parents home). I'll likely only be able to get 1 firearm for awhile, so I would like to knock off two birds with 1 stone.

I've thought about a saiga, but haven't they been going for twice their MSRP? MR1s are also very expensive. the CA model is ideal, but are they even sold in NY? As for the "Featureless AR," I might vomit every time I shoot it..., but seriously I think i'll look into a featureless stock/grip.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If I could only have one long gun it would probably be a shotgun. The saiga rifles are nice for what they are and like said above available in .223. If you are worried about over penetration pretty much a shotgun with small shot is probably the best bet.

·
Registered
900 Posts
ok , I'm a bit confused . The guns your naming have widely varying price tags . If you think you can come up with the $1000 - $1500 for an AR (& your assuming a quick injunction) , then why not just grab a $300 shotgun for HD , & a cheap rifle for "qualification" practice? No rifle is gonna be ideal for an apartment HD gun , over penetration into other rooms/apartments is going to happen (even with 5.56 , unless walls are solid concrete) . A shotgun with low base or HD specific shells is a better choice for that task , but you still run the risk of sending shot through a wall , door , etc...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1K for an AR? Maybe if I buy one, but not if I build. I could build DSA for something like $650. Also, I'm willing to dig deep(er) if its an AR.

Thanks for the help y'all, seems I'll be in the market for a shotgun before I leave for home.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
IMHO As for HD in an aparment complex, I would stick with the shotgun as stated above, stick with lead shot and worry more about over penetration than anything else. 5 yards would be the max distance you would most likely use it so stay with bird shot that will work fine.

As for Army qualification... since you cannot get an AR, I wouldnt worry about it, use .22lr and worry more about shooting fundamentals with iron sights. See if you can find some US Army 25 meter rifle Qualification targets, they have single targets with representative distances on them from 50 meters to 300 meters.

The Army will teach you what you need to know so just concentrate on basic shooting fundamentals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.