New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for those who have purchased an SKS on line.
I am wondering if any that came through had a rough exterior condition in regards to the metal components. I DO NOT care about stock condition or wear of the bluing/paint on the metal. What I am referring to is metal pitting or deterioration. I have heard of some coming through pretty rough. Has anyone purchased one like this? If so, how well does the the rifle function? Does any of the ugliness carry over to how well the rifle operates?
I ask this because I have been trying to put an SKS project together. The goal is to have a simple uncluttered compact rifle. What could be called a truck gun. I want a 16.5 inch barrel for this project. I have a very nice Russian SKS and do not want to put it under the knife so I have been looking for another rifle to use.
Located a Para model which would be a great place to start as the barrel and sight is done. Rifle also has a metal "cheese grater" style hand guard / gas tube which I was planning on using so that is already done as well. It has a duckbill 30 round metal magazine. However the seller is willing to sell me the rifle without the magazine. So I would need to find a stock 10 round fixed Magazine for the rifle.
Price is OK. Not a wonderful deal but I don't feel like I need to squeeze my butt cheeks either.
Sooooo, what is hanging me up is the metal condition. To my eye it is rather rough. However the only other SKS experience I have is with my letter Russian which is an exceptional rifle, not only in condition but function as well. My Russian is the only standard I have to judge this Para by and it definitely falls short of the Russian.
Rifle will be pretty much a truck gun. So I really would not want to have a pristine rifle in that role anyway. However, I do want a reliable / functional rifle.
Will try and get Pics up shortly.
Looking for comments or experiences.
Also, any ideas on how difficult to find an original fixed magazine?
DD

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wood Bumper Shotgun Automotive exterior Trigger Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Wood Automotive exterior Air gun Bumper Trigger Font Shotgun Wood Font Terrestrial animal Metal Art Wood Wood stain Varnish Automotive exterior Hardwood
I don't know a lot about the Chinese SKS as I have put most of my energy into researching my Russian.
However, my research judging by the triangle with 26 followed by the three chinese characters and the serial number beginning in 11 would indicate that this rifle was produced in 1967. Anyone agree or disagree? If so, this I think is the year that stamped metal parts were used. Any concern here?
Thanks for any help or advise anyone can offer.
DD

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I have a Norinco that's pretty pitted but it functions flawlessly. It's purely cosmetic. 10rd factory mags are easy to find on GB or eBay.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NM, sold out. Sorry.

BTW, those pics you posted.....did somebody spray-paint the metal? WTF?
Havn't got a clue. That is my dilemma. Gun is a thousand miles away.
If I thought I could find a Para that would not break me I would spring for it. However, ones in the same condition as my Russian seem to bring as much money on-line as the Russians. I hate to break the bank for a non collectable project rifle.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
In my non-legal opinion (since I'm not a lawyer), it would be illegal for you to take possession of this rifle in it's current form. It has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

For you to buy this, he would have to ship it to you with an original configuration magazine already attached. Were you going to have it shipped to an FFL? Talk to them, perhaps it is possible they could install one for you before you take possession.

As for the exterior condition, not a problem as long as the internals are ok, especially since you say it will be a truck gun. How is the bore? Can't say exactly from the pictures, but it looks as though either the stock or the bayonet might not original to the rifle. as the bayonet tip should be further into the stock when closed as seen in the fourth picture. More pictures are needed though, for me to say with certainty. Again, not a concern except to a collector.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my non-legal opinion (since I'm not a lawyer), it would be illegal for you to take possession of this rifle in it's current form. It has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

For you to buy this, he would have to ship it to you with an original configuration magazine already attached. Were you going to have it shipped to an FFL? Talk to them, perhaps it is possible they could install one for you before you take possession.

As for the exterior condition, not a problem as long as the internals are ok, especially since you say it will be a truck gun. How is the bore? Can't say exactly from the pictures, but it looks as though either the stock or the bayonet might not original to the rifle. as the bayonet tip should be further into the stock when closed as seen in the fourth picture. More pictures are needed though, for me to say with certainty. Again, not a concern except to a collector.
Well on the first issue I guess that could be debated till the cows come home. In fact I have mentioned this in another thread. The SKS can Always accept a detachable magazine. Here is how absurd it could get. I take my Russian apart to clean or due some trigger tuning. I then take my Russian Magazine to the receiving FFL for insertion into the newly acquired rifle. Mean time my Russian sits at home without it's original magazine. Is my Russian now illegal? Or, how about this. He ships me the stock, the hand guard and gas tube, the gas piston and operating piston, the receiver cover , the recoil spring and rod and the FCG. He ships the barreled receiver to my FFL. FFL does his paper work and makes his phone call etc, etc. I go home with the barreled receiver. I mean really, just how Anal are we going to get about these things. I for one have no intention of going through all that nonsense. I have to find a Magazine anyway so at the very most I will let my FFL hold the gun until I find a magazine. Wait! Maybe it is not legal for even the FFL to have an SKS without ANY magazine. Probably should check that out.
On the FFL, of course I was going to have it sent to an FFL. No other way to do it.
Have discussed my options with an FFlL and I believe we have a totally simple and legal way to do this.
On the condition of the rifle, Looks like I will make the leap and hope for the best.
Wish me luck.
By the way, I am not arguing with anyone in regards to the with or without magazine deal. Just putting forth my take on all this nonsense.. Some of this stuff I think we can bring upon ourselves.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes, this is definitely not an issue of collecting. I am aiming for a reliable and functional tool. Maybe the rough around the edges will be like the sleeper cars I used to own. LOL
I will e-mail the dealer and ask him to reassure me that the bore is good and the rifle functions as designed. If he can do this I will most likely proceed with the purchase.
I appreciate your comments and input.
DD

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yes, the whole "magazine" discussion is a bunch of political bull**** that we shouldn't have to even discuss. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That rifle looks like it has seen hard days. I would suggest that you might want to verify that the S/N on the bolt matches the receiver and that there is no pitting or marking of the inner receiver at the back of the bolt where it locks. A bit of marking especially on the receiver cover is pretty typical, but that mounting band for the rear sight looks pretty degraded, and I do not know that I have ever seen a bolt carrier pitted like that. If the carrier is that pitted, what does the boltface and firing pin channel look like?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Most everyone I have seen, purchased online or not have been in pretty nice, almost unissued condition. Unless those sources are drying up why buy a beater unless its really cheap? On one of the SKS forums a guy did a nice writeup with step by step accurizing and what each step brought to the table accuracy wise. Since you have no comp or brake re-crowning would be a great step towards accurizing if that floats your boat at all.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That rifle looks like it has seen hard days. I would suggest that you might want to verify that the S/N on the bolt matches the receiver and that there is no pitting or marking of the inner receiver at the back of the bolt where it locks. A bit of marking especially on the receiver cover is pretty typical, but that mounting band for the rear sight looks pretty degraded, and I do not know that I have ever seen a bolt carrier pitted like that. If the carrier is that pitted, what does the boltface and firing pin channel look like?
I am not much of a gambler. Hell, I have attended at least 7 Diving Equipment Manufactures Conventions in LasVegas and never gambled a dime. However, I did just take a gamble. Rifle is on it's way.
You are correct. The old girl looks like she was rode had and put up wet. However there are a lot of things to factor into the decision.
I want a 16.5 inch barrel. Try to find one. Ad if I do the prices I have seen exceed what I would expect my Russian to bring. Why? Simply because it has a shortened barrel. No historical value or anything special about a Paratrooper. Just the fact that there are not as many as stock barrel SKS. They were simply made as a marketing tool. I do not want to spend that kind of money for a project/experiment. If I purchased any full length barrel SKS then I have the cost of shortening and crowning the barrel plus sight re installation. ( I do want to keep the stock front sight ) I also want a metal hand guard. This rifle already has one. More on that later.
LGS I am buying from in NC told me all numbers match with the exception of the receiver cover. And the Magazine of course. He is willing to ship the magazine to someone out of State. This allows me to sell it from that location and recoup something. I do not want the Bayonet so I can sell that and the stock which is cut for the Para Blade Bayonet. A little more back from that sale.
The metal hand guard on it might be a find. The only one I can find that looks like it is the one made by rifle Tech. US made. Gas tube/hand guard combination that costa around $140.00. That is a 922r compliant part. Now, back to gambling. If someone did in fact install that part as a way to meet 922r compliance, is it possible there are more less obvious 922r parts? i.e. Murry's FCG components or a USA made gas rod?
And, after all these rifle have the reputation of functioning under the most adverse conditions. I want function over beauty. I am not adding to a collection to try and make money at a later date.
Sooooooooooo, I gambled and time will tell.
Keep you all posted and hopefully add Pics of my project.
DD

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most everyone I have seen, purchased online or not have been in pretty nice, almost unissued condition. Unless those sources are drying up why buy a beater unless its really cheap? On one of the SKS forums a guy did a nice writeup with step by step accurizing and what each step brought to the table accuracy wise. Since you have no comp or brake re-crowning would be a great step towards accurizing if that floats your boat at all.
Most definitely will consider re crowning if needed. And accuracy is a goal.
I will be judging it against my Russian and that rifle is scary accurate for a battle weapon.
There are a few members here who have seen it in action. And that was with my old eyes loking down the sights. That rifle makes me look much better than I am.
So this next one is going to have a lot to live up to.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
LGS I am buying from in NC told me all numbers match with the exception of the receiver cover. And the Magazine of course. He is willing to ship the magazine to someone out of State. This allows me to sell it from that location and recoup something. I do not want the Bayonet so I can sell that and the stock which is cut for the Para Blade Bayonet. A little more back from that sale.
The metal hand guard on it might be a find. The only one I can find that looks like it is the one made by rifle Tech. US made. Gas tube/hand guard combination that costa around $140.00. That is a 922r compliant part. Now, back to gambling. If someone did in fact install that part as a way to meet 922r compliance, is it possible there are more less obvious 922r parts? i.e. Murry's FCG components or a USA made gas rod?
And, after all these rifle have the reputation of functioning under the most adverse conditions. I want function over beauty. I am not adding to a collection to try and make money at a later date.
Sooooooooooo, I gambled and time will tell.
Keep you all posted and hopefully add Pics of my project.
DD
I cannot argue with any of that - I hope that you found a real bargain. Certainly there has been all sorts of work done on SKSes for many years, some good, some bad. If the bolt and receiver locking shoulder look good, I agree that if the short barrel gas system works, all the rest is gravy really. I wonder if the gas port needed to be opened up at all - SKS tend to be overgassed anyway so maybe this one will not have you chasing brass over half the range.

As far as 922r compliance, was the SKS ever denied import as "not suitable for sporting purposes", or did the China import ban happen first? I think that 922r compliance is only required when the assembled product would not be allowed to be imported in that configuration. Maybe the bayonet makes it "not suitable".

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
as long as it doenst have a bayonet lug how would it be illegal. And in original form they are fixed mags...i see them for sale at my FFL every time i go in for around 400.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts