New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I missed the front rails when re-assembling my PPQ and before I noticed, I had pulled back on the slide, leaving the recoil spring exposed (with front end slide clearly not on the front rails). I only managed to get the slide back once or twice before it became completely stuck. I even tried to dry fire it to get the slide loose (to no avail).

Then I tried to pry/wiggle the slide loose, by pulling somewhat on the front end of the slide to see if I could manage to work the slide, again to no avail..

I eventually took it to a gun smith and he removed the slide for me.. I told him I was concerned that there may have been damage to the gun, but he said not to worry as there wasn't any. I took it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it with no issues.

I called up Walther and they said not to worry as a gun smith would notice if there were any issues and after firing the gun that many times, you would of noticed if there were any problems with your gun, such as a cracked frame etc etc.

Now my question is to all the respectable pistol owners on this site, should I be worried about stress to the polymer frame or even to the steel guide rails from this incident? Or is the gun stronger than I think?

I love the gun and all, but I'm concerned that I may have damaged the gun and it may not be dependable if I ever need it to be.

I think I'm overly concerned, but I don't think it's unreasonable on my part.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I think you are probably fine. I agree that if you fired it that many times with no issue that it is probably ok. If you are really worried, redo your "reliability check", whatever that is. For me its several hundred FMJ rounds and a few mags of carry ammo. If it passes it passes, no different than a new gun.

Some pictures would be helpful if you really want an opinion, but it sounds like its fine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would think that the stresses put on the frame by firing would greatly exceed any force you could apply by hand, but I'm not very bright and I imagine that the angle of force would play a part.
The gunsmith says it's good and you have already fired it without issue - I would relax and just give it a good looking over after each range session.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
You don't believe the gunsmith or the manufacturer but you want to trust us?
Succinct and to the point. Spot on mate.

The gunsmith freed the jamb, fondled your firearm and assessed it visually and mechanically.
The manufacturer concurred with the gunsmith....and they designed, fabricated and sold the gun.....

and you want 'the internet' to bless the gun? Not sure you're thinking this through very well.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
With that many rounds through it after the fact, I wouldn't worry about it. After a couple hundred more rounds I'd forget about it and go on. I'm sure that problem has happened a few times in the past. How do you like your PPQ? I was looking at a used one at a local gun store a couple of weeks ago but put money down on a S&W 586 instead.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It's no longer reliable, could blow up in your face.

I could use the parts, and scrap the rest.

Just because I want you to be safe, I'll take it off your hands.

I can only offer you scrap price, though.

I'd take the word of the gunsmith and manufacturer... do not believe anything you read on the intarwebz.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Polymer handguns are a bit tougher than "I wiggled it back and forth."

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm going to agree with everyone else here, especially since you've fired it a few times now.

I will however say that I completely understand where you're coming from. There have been cases with different products that I trust the guys on the forums more than the technician or the company that sold me a product or did a repair. Mostly automotive related.

This is a little different, you obviously brought it to an actual gunsmith, and someone you likely talked to face to face. You trusted him enough to fix your gun and take a look at it, no reason not to trust his word that it's fixed, otherwise you probably should have brought it somewhere else. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, just wanted to hear an opinion or two more..

But, like I said I was concerned that the force from the pressure I applied to the front end of the slide to try and pry it back may have put stress on the frame and metal guide rails at the back end causing them to pre-maturely break or break-off at some point. I just don't want there to be issues down the road.

So all in all, you guys wouldn't be concerned about stress to the frame or rails if you did what I did?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
..So all in all, you guys wouldn't be concerned about stress to the frame or rails if you did what I did?
Just me chiming in, this is in no way a Gun Smith's opinion! I would think recoil and rechambering new rounds would put more stress on this weapon then you could do with your hands. X-ray could be one of the only ways of "Seeing" any cracks.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
But, like I said I was concerned that the force from the pressure I applied to the front end of the slide to try and pry it back may have put stress on the frame and metal guide rails at the back end causing them to pre-maturely break or break-off at some point.
Did you see how he unjammed the slide? my guess is a vice and rubber mallet. lol

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If it were my gun, I woudn't worry on e bit about it. You had a qualified gunsmith and the manufacturer tell you don't worry about it. If you have a friend that has one go shooting with them and shoot yours and shoot his and see if there is any difference in them. Then have yout friend shoot them and see what he thinks.
I'd bet there isn't any difference in them. They can take a hell of a beating and stll run efficiently. The materials they use today are so much more superior to materials they had twenty years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts