New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm applying for a NYC handgun license. Almost 8 years ago I get a $50 ticket from the MTA. I completely forgot about it while filling in my handgun application, so on the question for "have you ever been arrested, indicted, or summonsed for ANY offense (other than parking violation)?...(False statements are grounds for disapproval)" I answered "no". As an aside, honestly, even if I did remember, I wouldn't have associated "ticket" with "summons", but I get it...ignorantia juris non excusat.

So today my IO called and asked me about it. It actually took me a second to remember...I even said "no, that never happened...oh wait...yes...." I sent over a signed statement saying I did receive a summons and paid the fine. But now I'm totally stressing about it since I answered incorrectly on the original application. Is this going to totally ruin my chance for a permit? After hanging up the phone, I thought "I should have asked if this would ruin my chances," but I was just too flustered to think. Now I'm wondering if I should call my IO back tomorrow and ask, but I don't wanna come off as too eager or worrisome or bothersome.

Any advice? Am I screwed? Should I call or maybe wait till next week?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Anywhere but NYC? F NO!

NYC? We don't know. When you said $50 ticket from MTA, I assumed a traffic violation (i.e. nothing). In fact, I believe when I get an amendment to my CCW here in upstate it asks about anything more than a TRAFFIC VIOLATION (i.e. misdemeanor or felony.) But specifically mentioning PARKING (not TRAFFIC) violation...that's strange, even for NYC standards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% clean on the difference between parking vs traffic violation, but I assume traffic violations are a more serious offense. In either case, the instructions on the application put the "limit" at parking violation: "Summons information: If you have received a summons for other than a parking violation you must answer Yes to question 23."

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'm not 100% clean on the difference between parking vs traffic violation, but I assume traffic violations are a more serious offense. In either case, the instructions on the application put the "limit" at parking violation: "Summons information: If you have received a summons for other than a parking violation you must answer Yes to question 23."
Personally,I consider (this is just upstate me talking), any moving violation the same offense. Speeding, running a red light, parking (by a fire hydrant, in a no parking zone, on pavement), failure to signal/yield, all the same "degree of offense" (and yes I know the fines and pints differ.)

But again, NYC is Fed up.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
When I was applying for my NYC permit, I asked the investigator about minor traffic tickets from years ago...and they said I only needed to list tickets from within the past 3 years...and that all others either wouldn't show up or they just didn't care about.

I assume the only reason they found it was because yours was in NYC and given by the MTA.

You will be fine...8 years ago, they will not care that you forgot.

It is a TRAVESTY we have to worry about such trivial things ruining our chances to exercise our constitutional rights. An absolute travesty.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i dont know the answer although im inclined to agree with dave.

its a crying shame that this question even asked to be asked...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Going to agree with Dave as well, the fact that they called you back to verify is probably a good thing. I wouldn't stress over it! In my process both the intake staff & the IO's were very polite & professional - many stories here of people with errors / omissions that were corrected after the app was submitted without a problem.

Essentially if you have a clean background, the money & the time - you'll get your permit without a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave and the rest of you guys, thanks for the reassurance. And yeah, this process is something that sucks about NYC!

Blovis, no doubt...the staff and IO are very friendly and don't mean to or want to come off as if they aren't! Honestly if it wasn't for all the forms/ref letters and long wait, this would be a breeze (especially compared to other things we have to deal with, like cable companies hah). Anyway, glad to hear other people had omissions not affect them, that puts me at ease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts