New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a Dicks Sporting Goods store to buy some ammo on my way to the range with my father-in-law this past weekend. We went into a Dicks only because it was on the way and convenient. Asked the pimpled kid behind the counter for some .40 SW. He asked to see my pistol permit. I told him no, it was for my Hi-Point carbine. The kid rolls his eyes and gets me my ammo. Asks if I'd like anything else and I said yes, .45 Long Colt. He gets all pompous like he's got one over on me and says "Now I definitely need to see your permit!" and gets this stupid grin on his face. I say no, and point to the Circuit Judge on the shelf. Next I ask him for some .22 long rifle and being the smarta$$ I am, ask him if he needs to see my permit for that. "No," he says, "that's rifle ammunition!" And I tell him yeah, but this I'm gonna shoot out of my pistol!
The kid walks away and comes back with what I presume to be his manager. "Whats the problem?" The kid says "This guy refuses to show me his pistol permit for this ammo!"
"No, I didnt refuse, the ammo he asked to see it for wasnt going to be shot from pistols."
"Yeah, but then he said he was gonna shoot this .22 from his pistol, so he must have a permit!"
"Sir, it is our store policy to see a pistol permit for pistol ammunition."
"None of this ammo is exclusively pistol or rifle ammo," and I explain the reason.
"Sir, do you have a pistol permit?"
"Yeah, but I dont have to show it to you for this ammo!"
"So you are refusing to show it to me?!"
"No, I'm explaining to you the idiocy of your policy, because you dont understand that you dont need to see a permit for this ammo."
We go round and round a few more times and I eventually give up and tell him he has lost my business forever because of his 'store policy'. I push the ammo back at the kid and and tell him that xxxxxxxx down the road deserves my money more than they do.
This is where it gets funny! The crowd that had gathered behind me to my surprise during this debate begins to clap as I turn around and a few of them walk out with me! One guy actually asks me where I was going to buy ammo so he can start buying there too!

Ok, sorry for the rant...I was a bit upset. I feel better now. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Two thumbs up. I am suprised that they didn't ask to see my pistol permit when I bough Large and Small pistol primers.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Well Done timmyp!! I no longer buy from Dick's either. Too many "know it all's" work there giving new gun owners WRONG INFORMATION!!! I think these store policies are nothing more than infringement on many people's 2nd amendment rights. Why do they need to see a permit?? What do they do with it?? Is there a super computer tracking all of your ammo sales too?? What happened to just going in, buying the ammo and enjoying a day at the range?? You know what's coming next right?? Rifle permits!! You think I'm wrong, look at England because that's who we follow. You were perfectly justified timmyp!! Nicely played!!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
They are called "DICK'S for a reason.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well Done timmyp!! I no longer buy from Dick's either. Too many "know it all's" work there giving new gun owners WRONG INFORMATION!!! I think these store policies are nothing more than infringement on many people's 2nd amendment rights. Why do they need to see a permit?? What do they do with it?? Is there a super computer tracking all of your ammo sales too?? What happened to just going in, buying the ammo and enjoying a day at the range?? You know what's coming next right?? Rifle permits!! You think I'm wrong, look at England because that's who we follow. You were perfectly justified timmyp!! Nicely played!!
Just nit picking a little Chicken Shoot, the second amendment in no way regulates a private business's policy on whom they sell what to. IT only applies to the government. Therefore the government could not make a law that you must show a permit to buy ammo.

Otherwise Timmyp, nice job telling them to take it and shove it up their......

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Right on OP! Good job people need to do exactly what you did if we ever want these idiotic polices to change

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Just nit picking a little Chicken Shoot, the second amendment in no way regulates a private business's policy on whom they sell what to. IT only applies to the government. Therefore the government could not make a law that you must show a permit to buy ammo.

Otherwise Timmyp, nice job telling them to take it and shove it up their......
Understood Wayloss. Government (local, state and federal) regulates businesses so I always look at store policies as coming right from the govt. Oh ... Dick's is not a private business. It is a publicly traded corporation. I could be and probably am wrong. It's just my way of thinking. ;) I just don't grasp the concept of this "policy" when it didn't matter before. We all know that the ammo can be used in both pistol and rifle .. so why ask??

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Two thumbs up. I am suprised that they didn't ask to see my pistol permit when I bough Large and Small pistol primers.
I have repeatedly asked about buying reloading supplies at my local Dick's store - they said company policy was not to carry reloading supplies.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I have repeatedly asked about buying reloading supplies at my local Dick's store - they said company policy was not to carry reloading supplies.
You are right my mistake, I bought the primers at Gander MTN.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[QUOTEI just don't grasp the concept of this "policy" when it didn't matter before. We all know that the ammo can be used in both pistol and rifle .. so why ask??[/QUOTE]

The key word is "WE". "THEY" (Dicks corporate or dumba$$ pimply kids and sheeple managers manning the counter) are ignorant and that was my whole point. I am smarter than you in terms of what guns can shoot what ammo and YOUR policy is dumb because it makes no sense. THEY cant differentiate ammo by pistol and rifle (they sell rifles that shoot all the ammo I was asking for) so they had no way to be able to enforce the "I need to see your permit for this type of ammo" policy...

Once I realized I wasnt going to get my point across I was wasting my breath and time. I wasnt going to waste my money.
The manager couldnt hear my point becasue he was so consumed with the fact that I had a permit and 'refused to show it to him'. I didnt refuse, I'm not a sheeple.

I wonder if I had showed it and didnt have a .40 pistol on my permit if they would have refused me .40 ammo??!!! Maybe I'll go back and try that!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
1. why didn't you just show him your permit? What did you prove by showing off in the store, other than wasting your own time & gas going there and then going elsewhere? Wow, people clapped for you, now you are famous!

2. if you are so hardcore about not showing your permit, why not just tell the manager you don't have one, you were simply giving the kid a hard time... or say you don't have one at all, and that the kid was giving you a hard time about it?

Regardless of your opinion or anyone else's, a company creates polices that it requires the employees to follow. If the employees don't follow, they get in trouble. By giving this kid a hard time, you were infringing on his ability to do his job and keep it as he was simply doing what he was told to do.

If you don't like the policy(ies), then write to the company to express your concerns and perhaps you can help them change the way the policy is read, or have it removed, etc

When you walk in to the store to buy cigarettes and you are 35 y.o. and still asked for ID, it's because it's store policy... I'm sure the person behind the counter knows you are older than 18, but that's not the point... and you still pull out your ID and then go on your way

Seems to me like you were the one being the Dick here

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet, you're probably right. In hindsight I probably was being a bit a jerk. I was questioning their policy and maybe could have found a better way to do it. In the moment, at the counter, right then and there, that is how I reacted. Buying cigarettes I expect to get ID'ed. (actually its the law, not store policy) I'm not hardcore, but I dont have a problem questioning a policy (not law) that will infringe on my rights (privacy).
In retrospect, people probably clapped because I was leaving, not because of my argument. They were probably just happy to see me leave.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sweet, you're probably right. In hindsight I probably was being a bit a jerk. I was questioning their policy and maybe could have found a better way to do it. In the moment, at the counter, right then and there, that is how I reacted. Buying cigarettes I expect to get ID'ed. (actually its the law, not store policy) I'm not hardcore, but I dont have a problem questioning a policy (not law) that will infringe on my rights (privacy).
In retrospect, people probably clapped because I was leaving, not because of my argument. They were probably just happy to see me leave.
lol, it's cool man, it happens.

I didn't mean to come off too harsh either, but I just feel like we (ny'ers) are in a special spot. Most of us know the laws, and are good people who really feel strung down and unable to do what we want with expected freedoms, etc... Unfortunately, at this stage of life, we either need to get off the wagon and riot like there's no tomorrow, overthrow the gov't, etc etc etc... or just abide by the BS no matter how much it sucks.

I agree with you that you shouldn't have to show your permit just to buy ammo, however if that's how they roll, roll w/ em or move on ya know? Part of the reason I buy in bulk online is because I don't have to deal with it... Well, I did, once, actually. aimsurplus says to ship to NY, their policy is to send them a photo of your permit and driver's license for their records. For not having to leave my home, pay state taxes and deal with any other shenanigans related to the idea of just buying ammo, I used my phone to take pics, e-mail them, and now I can order whenever I want, no hassles ;)

Sure it's not for the guy who just wants a box here and there, but I shoot a lot, so it works for me. You just gotta find your niche and you'll be all set :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you that you shouldn't have to show your permit just to buy ammo, however if that's how they roll, roll w/ em or move on ya know?
I feel like that's what I did. I mean this whole thing took a total of no more than 35 seconds. Maybe a minute. Dicks was on the way to the range, otherwise we would have gone to our regular store. Next time I wont waste my time stopping there in the first place.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I don't mind whipping out my permit every chance I get. I even used it in a New Jersey bank to cash a check. The pretty teller and I got into a nice conversation on getting her permit and her manager listened to the whole thing. Then she said I remind her of her father: damn:rofl:

A lot of folks out there think it's next to impossible to get a permit, i like to prove them wrong, tease them with my permit and convince them to go for it. The more the merrier!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
1. why didn't you just show him your permit? What did you prove by showing off in the store, other than wasting your own time & gas going there and then going elsewhere? Wow, people clapped for you, now you are famous!

2. if you are so hardcore about not showing your permit, why not just tell the manager you don't have one, you were simply giving the kid a hard time... or say you don't have one at all, and that the kid was giving you a hard time about it?

Regardless of your opinion or anyone else's, a company creates polices that it requires the employees to follow. If the employees don't follow, they get in trouble. By giving this kid a hard time, you were infringing on his ability to do his job and keep it as he was simply doing what he was told to do.

If you don't like the policy(ies), then write to the company to express your concerns and perhaps you can help them change the way the policy is read, or have it removed, etc

When you walk in to the store to buy cigarettes and you are 35 y.o. and still asked for ID, it's because it's store policy... I'm sure the person behind the counter knows you are older than 18, but that's not the point... and you still pull out your ID and then go on your way

Seems to me like you were the one being the Dick here
Yeah, and if your walking around in AZ and have nothing to hide then why not show them your ID as well? And hell, if cops come to your house and want to look around to make sure it WAS for a rifle, you have nothing to hide right? Let them barge right in!

Wal*Mart pulls this crap. Sure, they can refuse to sell to anyone for any reason SO WE CLAIM (but I don't agree, because if I said "no ammo to blacks/whites/hispanics/asians etc. do you not think I'd have every racial figurehead there in 5 seconds?), but when they do so for a reason that goes against the CONVENTIONS set forth by law, they deserved to be called out.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, and if your walking around in AZ and have nothing to hide then why not show them your ID as well? And hell, if cops come to your house and want to look around to make sure it WAS for a rifle, you have nothing to hide right? Let them barge right in!

Wal*Mart pulls this crap. Sure, they can refuse to sell to anyone for any reason SO WE CLAIM (but I don't agree, because if I said "no ammo to blacks/whites/hispanics/asians etc. do you not think I'd have every racial figurehead there in 5 seconds?), but when they do so for a reason that goes against the CONVENTIONS set forth by law, they deserved to be called out.
you are trying to compare state & federal law with store policy... two completely different things

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
you are trying to compare state & federal law with store policy... two completely different things
No, what I am saying is that there IS a good reason to not want to show your ID or permit to a store. Sure, they might have every right to deny you, but you have every right to tell them no regardless. While it is a store policy how long before we say enough with these rediculous policies. Look at the TSA, a government run agency. Now you must be groped every time you wish to fly. How long before stores require a SSN# and form just to purchase ammo? But that's OK because they are a store, so let them do it? Nah.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You kinda gotta look at it from the zit faced kids point of view also. He's doing what the head sheep told him to do and couldn't care less where you buy your ammo or if he loses your business, he's still getting his minimum wage check at the end of the week.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts