New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

First post here altho ive been lurking for a while. Great Site Thank you!!

So was in mall today and decided to pick up 500rnds of 22, just cause i was there. Stopped by Dicks, at check out i was asked for id, a nys license, which i did not have on me, it was in my car. I did produce a nys pistol permit which has a dob n picture.
The manager told me due to NYS Law i Must have a Drivers License to buy ammo. I explained to him surely he Must be mistaking and maybe its a dicks policy, but didnt want to make an issue of it, partly cause i didnt need the ammo and i am not sure that nys doesnt have this ridiculous law. It wouldnt surprise me if we did.

So can anyone tell me if this guy is just misinformed or its a dicks policy or nys law etc?

Thanks in advance..

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
The person is misinformed.

This is commonplace for Dicks and W*M employees. They confuse "store policy" with "law", and insist they are right.

You can buy a whole GUN and ammo with an out of state license.

I figured this was going to be another "I needed a pistol permit to buy 9mm" thread, which is also misinformation.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
You don't need a driver license to buy beer but good luck getting wegmans to sell to it you without it.

Isn't the law you have to be 18 to buy ammo? Dicks was just following the law and wanted to verify age.

A pistol permit is not good enough for proof of age. Don't tell me you need to be 21 to get one because I could whip one off in photoshop in 5 minutes and glue my picture on it.

Yes, the guy didn't know what he was talking about but he was still legit in asking for a valid ID

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
You don't need a driver license to buy beer but good luck getting wegmans to sell to it you without it.

Isn't the law you have to be 18 to buy ammo? Dicks was just following the law and wanted to verify age.

A pistol permit is not good enough for proof of age. Don't tell me you need to be 21 to get one because I could whip one off in photoshop in 5 minutes and glue my picture on it.

Yes, the guy didn't know what he was talking about but he was still legit in asking for a valid ID
I could do the same with a driver's license, but I digress. xD

In fact, Nazi-Mart, (W*M) accepts my permit as "You are over 21" for buying 9mm. Most stores will require a Driver's License though, but that is not the law.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
How isn't it? I use my military Id for everything, **** I could use my school Id if I wanted to it shows my age and that's all they need to know.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I will never buy from Dick's again after my episode there debating with the clerks and his manager about store policy vs state law...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
You've learned a valuable lesson, Dick's doesn't deserve your business.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
The way I see it, Dick's (as a private business) has the right to implement whatever practices they want on the purchase of whatever products they want. That's what makes America great, right?

Write them a letter and/or take your business elsewhere. That's another thing that makes America great.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
The way I see it, Dick's (as a private business) has the right to implement whatever practices they want on the purchase of whatever products they want. That's what makes America great, right?

Write them a letter and/or take your business elsewhere. That's another thing that makes America great.
I agree with you. If it's that big of a deal, take your business elsewhere. I do have a problem with people (or businesses) hiding behind a fake state law that they make up though. If they have a store policy, come out and say it. Don't try to hide behind a pile of crap, it makes you smell.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you were refused alcohol because you didn't have a license to prove age would you go on a beer site and make a thread about.

It sucks you were inconveinced but next time bring your license.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts

I agree, how ever, telling people it;s the law is wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I agree, how ever, telling people it;s the law is wrong.
I don't disagree but if you don't know better and you're repeating what your boss told you then it's an honest mistake. Blatantly lying is another story.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
How isn't it? I use my military Id for everything, **** I could use my school Id if I wanted to it shows my age and that's all they need to know.
Off topic, but in Vermont each business has the right not to accept Military ID, and many exercise that right. Happened to me a few years ago, I was shocked.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I don't disagree but if you don't know better and you're repeating what your boss told you then it's an honest mistake. Blatantly lying is another story.
On that note, I've had Wal*Mart employees from cashier to corporate flat out LIE to me before, so it isn't unheard of.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have never had a problem at Dicks in Middletown, Orange County. I have made numerous purchases (ammo & firearms) over there. In fact , the clerk there told me the Middletown, Orange County store is the # 5 top selling firearms Dick's store in the country. Not sure which store the OP is talking about. As with any place, some clerks just have their head up their ass. I would just smile & show my license. If a gun friendly store is cautious, why not go with the flow. Because if there is something that ever happens, you better believe all the negative press that store/Corporation would get and possible curtail the firearms department. Then we lose!! Unfortunately that is how it is in the Empire state we live in.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i dont see the big deal here. now if they wouldnt sell him 9mm without a pistol license, thats a different story and yeah id be pissed.

but maybe it is a law. the age limit to buy ammo is 18, so by law they have to check your age. there may be a law on what documents are acceptable for age verification and which arn't. and if its not a direct law maybe its a combination of things, like its the law to verify age, but its company policy to only accept valid drivers license to verfiy age.

i just dont see the big deal that everyone is making in here about take your business elsewere and blah blah blah...

is it that hard to carry your license on you... or is it just lazyness or forgetfullness?

would you carry a gun without your pistol permit? i hope not. assuming you drove to dicks, why would you drive without your license? i believe that is a law and can get you a ticket if the cop really wanted to.

now, the age of OP is relavent also. i mean if hes 50 with a white beard then yeah he shouldnt need a drivers license, but if he was id'd because his age was questionable i see no issue at all with this. just a guy doing his job. if he didnt ask for id and sold to a minor and said minor went and shot someone everyone on here would be barking up a tree dicks sucks because they dont check your drivers license and verify age.

you can thank the government for places like this being so anal. they most likly get sting operations of 17 year olds trying to by ammo, of course they are going to cover there butts. wouldnt you?

everyone is jumping on the band wagon of dicks sucks, the cashier and manager are stupid but the OP hasnt even come back. the kid could be a baby faced 22 year old for all we know and could be more to the story than what your hearing.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
i dont see the big deal here. now if they wouldnt sell him 9mm without a pistol license, thats a different story and yeah id be pissed.

but maybe it is a law. the age limit to buy ammo is 18, so by law they have to check your age. there may be a law on what documents are acceptable for age verification and which arn't. and if its not a direct law maybe its a combination of things, like its the law to verify age, but its company policy to only accept valid drivers license to verfiy age.

i just dont see the big deal that everyone is making in here about take your business elsewere and blah blah blah...

is it that hard to carry your license on you... or is it just lazyness or forgetfullness?

would you carry a gun without your pistol permit? i hope not. assuming you drove to dicks, why would you drive without your license? i believe that is a law and can get you a ticket if the cop really wanted to.

now, the age of OP is relavent also. i mean if hes 50 with a white beard then yeah he shouldnt need a drivers license, but if he was id'd because his age was questionable i see no issue at all with this. just a guy doing his job. if he didnt ask for id and sold to a minor and said minor went and shot someone everyone on here would be barking up a tree dicks sucks because they dont check your drivers license and verify age.

you can thank the government for places like this being so anal. they most likly get sting operations of 17 year olds trying to by ammo, of course they are going to cover there butts. wouldnt you?

everyone is jumping on the band wagon of dicks sucks, the cashier and manager are stupid but the OP hasnt even come back. the kid could be a baby faced 22 year old for all we know and could be more to the story than what your hearing.
I'm 21 and I show my permit at Wal*mart to buy 9mm. Not my license, and Wal*Mart is the most anal place about that stuff. A NYS Concealed Carry license should have been accepted for proof of age. It was not, and tried to be passed off as "it is the law". That is where the problem lies. Everyone wants to say "don't blame the stores, blame the GUB!", well yeah, the gubment is the cause of a lot of dumb laws, but they are not in control of a story policy. Stores take way too much upon themselves sometimes. Like if you go to buy beer and have a government issued ID card for the military and get turned down "because it isn't a driver's license", that is unacceptable.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
You can not compare a pistol permit to a military ID. No one stapled a passport photo you brought with you to a piece of paper and called it your military ID

Have you tried to buy alcohol with your school ID, good luck with that.

Is there something wrong with Dicks using the same standards for age verification as the supermarket?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts