New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping some of the fine folks here would have some experience and advice for me. Here's the deal, I am having a detached 26 X 28 2 story garage built. They are almost finished with exterior siding. The inside is not finished (bare studs), poured floor 1st level, tongue and groove plywood deck for second story floor, no ceiling for second floor yet just exposed rafters to roof. When I get time and money (read only money), I will do insulation, drywall and figure out a ceiling. There is electric to the garage. My problem is how to deal with heating it. Money will be a factor. What are some options or ideas on heating that you guys have done or know about that work well?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add quick, I do have an old wood stove I could put in but it will take a lot of floor space away. Fire code will mandate it be minimum of 6 feet away from a wall I believe, then I have to run the chimney. Also would have to cut and stack wood in the garage loosing more floor space.

Thanks in advance, Bill

·
Registered
810 Posts
Go with a good quality wood pellet stove, almost zero clearance from most structures. I have a Harman p43 in my home and it does a great job keeping the house comfortable. You can ask the pellet stove people what will be best for your square footage. Pellets are around $210 a ton which is alot cheaper than oil or kerosene.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I've always wanted to get an oil furnace that runs on used motor oil. I change my own oil and hate having to return the old stuff for recycling, so it'd be perfect for me. You could also most likely go to auto shops to get it if you get low, as those places get charged for it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have a 3 bay attached garage. It came with a large, catalytic woodstove. It worked well as long as you had 3 hours prior to working to get the garage warmed up. I sold it and put a used (take out of a home that was replacing their furnace) 150K BTU forced hot air propane furnace instead. Cost me $40 for the stuff to hook it up. Now I can walk out, turn up the thermostat and be working in 15 minutes. No muss...no fuss. I spend less than $100 a year on propane if I use it a lot.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
If you don't want to go with a wood stove you could consider in-slab radiant heat.
Your heat source for the water could be a simple residential water heater.
I would think the in-slab would take some advance planning to use it, as it would take quite a while to get the slab warmed up enough to start warming the garage.

I could be wrong though, and I'm too lazy to run the numbers.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you don't want to go with a wood stove you could consider in-slab radiant heat.
Your heat source for the water could be a simple residential water heater.
Ray, the garage already has a poured floor, so going that route wouldn't be cost effective as he would have to hammer up the new floor to to install the radiant heat. Please correct me if I am not right on that!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Kind of late at this point since the floor is done. I heat a 28x40 building with 10 ft. ceilings and a high bay with radiant heat. Nothing more than a 32 gal. oil fired HW heater connected to PEX plastic tubing in the concrete via a manifold. A couple of circulators, controls and we're good to go. Thermostat set to 55* and generally I work in a T-shirt. Heating the concrete seems to be working well for me.

I have a 2 season old complete Power Venter set-up that I used initally but removed due to the KISS mind-set if you might be interested. The power venter is for through wall venting with no chimney. It worked well, just too complicated for my simple mind... I'd sell it cheap.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I put a Modine " Hot Dog " heater in my garage
it is a low profile unit heater, so, like a residential furnace you get quick heat
no duct work needed
about $500
hang it from some 3/8 allthread and you will lose no floor space, vents with 4" b-vent thru sidewall

·
Registered
982 Posts
I know a guy that used an electric water heater and pump to run the hot water through pipes in the concrete floor. Assuming you did not plumb the floor for that, you could pick up a wall hung forced air heat exchanger to run the water through.

I have an outdoor wood boiler so it makes sense for me to do it the way of the floor piping. Of course I put my boiler in before they were regulated into the $10000 range. Mine paid for itself in 2 years. I haven't done the ROI for a new one.

Edit: Apparently, I took too long to type all that out and everyone beat me to it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I put a Modine " Hot Dog " heater in my garage
it is a low profile unit heater, so, like a residential furnace you get quick heat
no duct work needed
about $500
hang it from some 3/8 allthread and you will lose no floor space, vents with 4" b-vent thru sidewall
Same here.....I hung a Hot Dawg off the ceiling and love it, lots of nearly instant heat and I can go 2 years on one delivery of propane....and I'm out there every day.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The slab is insulated on the bottom and sides. The water in the HW heater is heated to about 120*. The water circulating through the concrete is 70* +/- with a mixing valve. Heats fairly quickly and stays warm for days with no heat source. I run straight water in the system so it runs all winter.

On a side note, there is no iron in the system so no need for rust inhibitors.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have this in a 900sqft finished garage. 11' ceiling in 2 bays, 20' ceiling in the third bay. Although my garage is heavily insulated and stays at a minimum of 55^ without any heat - but this can increase it to 65-70^ within 20-30min of being turned on.

Mr. Heater HeatStar Radiant Tube Heater - 45,000 BTU, Propane, Model# F208851 | Propane Garage Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Granted my house is heated with propane as well and I have a 1000gal tank so it made sense for me. If you have propane already, consider a radiant heater.

I have a friend who has an oil furnace heating radiant tubing in the concrete - I love working in that garage. That is a pricey setup though if you cannot do the labor yourself (and your slab is already poured).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies, seems a lot more options then I thought there would be. I will have to do more research on possibilities and codes with the town. I have a feeling anything with a propane/ natural gas feed or any kind of wood/ pellet stove will need some inspections and what not.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have an outdoor wood boiler so it makes sense for me to do it the way of the floor piping. Of course I put my boiler in before they were regulated into the $10000 range. Mine paid for itself in 2 years. I haven't done the ROI for a new one.

Edit: Apparently, I took too long to type all that out and everyone beat me to it.
Without total thread jacking - how do you like the outdoor wood boiler? I've been looking at a Central Boiler to do heat/domestic and heat the pool. Even the regulated price put me at about an 8yr ROI, less with heating the pool.

I was going to suggest one to the OP, but figured the initial cost would be prohibitive.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.