New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Few may know that I am still a college student and will graduate next May at 20 years old with my Bachelors in CJ with a dedicated concentration of family violence. I'd like to do something extra special with my Dad before it is likely that I will be leaving for the academy, possibly in another state.

The rifle I have thought up will be used for long range target shooting. Now, I know "What do you consider long range?" Will be brought up. So here's my answer to that. To start, it will have a 100 yard zero. My local range has a 100, 200, and 300 yard target. I have a few friends with large fields capable of 600 yards give or take.

So here are the components:

To start, I plan on purchasing a Remington 700. This is where I need the most help. I'm going to be removing the stock, and replacing it. So, is there a difference between the actions and barrels of the lower cost Remington 700s and the higher priced 700s? I like the idea of a 20 inch barrel, but what are the pros and cons? What would a good twist rate be? Caliber wise, I'm expecting a .308 will be sufficient. However, a .338 is also an option. I need help on that as well.

Ammo: There is an FFL in my area who reloads and sells back the ammo. EVENTUALLY I would plan on loading my own. I feel he is willing to do some load development to help me out. When I am ready, I can take the formula and do it myself. My guess is .308 will be cheaper than .338. Again, I need help making a decision here.

Chasis: 2094-02 Remington 700 SA A5 Stock Black | Red Hawk Rifles I've fallen in love with this stock. I realize it is out of stock. However, I'm willing to have one with a pattern, or to call to check availability.

Optics: I like the the Vortex Optics scopes. But am willing to go whatever route. I'm not looking to spend $3k on glass. Or anywhere near that initially.

Accessories:

Badger Ordnance M5 Trigger Guard Detachable Mag Assembly Remington 700 Detachable Magazine assembly, is it worth the $400 investment? Is the only function the ability to have a detachable magazine?

Bipod, will probably go with a Harris, but again, I'm not sure of other options that exist in this category.

Anything else anyone thinks would be handy would be great. All input will be read and is appreciated. I will not be ordering all of the parts in one shot, it would be over a period of time. Thanks in advance for everything.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If 300 yards is your max typical distance, and no more than 600 is likely, .308 is certainly more than enough if you are looking at just punching paper. Actually .223 would be plenty as well, and the components to reload both are available in match quality without too many problems. You can go with a larger case capacity in .308 or .338, but you are mostly getting more recoil and muzzle blast, and possibly reduced barrel life in the magnum calibers.

I would decide first on your action length, short, long or magnum. This effects the action and stock of course, so if you want to change calibers later you will be limited to other calibers in that action size unless you swap most of the rifle. I prefer short actions, for those distances short action calibers have plenty of capability.

If precision shooting is your goal, I would say focus your attention and dollars in components in this order: barrel, trigger, reloading setup, scope, stock, action. How much work you want to put into your project will determine which components to use. If you plan to build off a factory action and barrel, a Rem 700 would be a good choice, since aftermarket parts support is excellent. Savage and Howa also have good aftermarket support, and prices are often a bit lower then the Remington.

If you want precision, reloading is almost a necessity. Loading your own ammo is really the only way to find out which loads your gun likes best, and you can play with charge weights, seating depth and powder/bullet combos to find the best loads.

If I was starting your project, I think my choice would be a stock Stevens 200 in .223 for a start. Replace the barrel with a heavy profile 1/9 or 1/8 twist at 24-26". Timney or Rifle Basix for the trigger, maybe a McMillan A5 stock. For target work only, a Weaver T-36 or Sightron S2-36 scope, or maybe a Vortex Viper PST adjustable power if you like adjustable power with a stadiametric reticle and shoot at unknown distances.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If 300 yards is your max typical distance, and no more than 600 is likely, .308 is certainly more than enough if you are looking at just punching paper. Actually .223 would be plenty as well, and the components to reload both are available in match quality without too many problems. You can go with a larger case capacity in .308 or .338, but you are mostly getting more recoil and muzzle blast, and possibly reduced barrel life in the magnum calibers.

I would decide first on your action length, short, long or magnum. This effects the action and stock of course, so if you want to change calibers later you will be limited to other calibers in that action size unless you swap most of the rifle. I prefer short actions, for those distances short action calibers have plenty of capability.

If precision shooting is your goal, I would say focus your attention and dollars in components in this order: barrel, trigger, reloading setup, scope, stock, action. How much work you want to put into your project will determine which components to use. If you plan to build off a factory action and barrel, a Rem 700 would be a good choice, since aftermarket parts support is excellent. Savage and Howa also have good aftermarket support, and prices are often a bit lower then the Remington.

If you want precision, reloading is almost a necessity. Loading your own ammo is really the only way to find out which loads your gun likes best, and you can play with charge weights, seating depth and powder/bullet combos to find the best loads.

If I was starting your project, I think my choice would be a stock Stevens 200 in .223 for a start. Replace the barrel with a heavy profile 1/9 or 1/8 twist at 24-26". Timney or Rifle Basix for the trigger, maybe a McMillan A5 stock. For target work only, a Weaver T-36 or Sightron S2-36 scope, or maybe a Vortex Viper PST adjustable power if you like adjustable power with a stadiametric reticle and shoot at unknown distances.
First off, thank you for your input.

I think I would like to stay with .308 for caliber choice. Definitely short action as well. I don't think I want to buy everything separate, "focus your attention and dollars in components in this order: barrel, trigger, reloading setup, scope, stock, action." Like you said, I would like to build off a factory action and barrel as of now. (can always upgrade).

What is your input on the Badger Ordinance? Necessary? Worth it?

Would a stock 700 with the above stock and upgrades then be a good and accurate rifle at the distances I described? How important is the trigger upgrade?

·
Registered
466 Posts
You may want to take a look in the long range/precision rifle sub forum. Their is a ton of good information posted by professionals like oscarwhiskey and kmussak.
Rifle builds posted in detail, good optics information. The two individuals mentioned above are a asset to this forum and the shooting community.

George

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
look for a forum called long range hunting.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may want to take a look in the long range/precision rifle sub forum. Their is a ton of good information posted by professionals like oscarwhiskey and kmussak.
Rifle builds posted in detail, good optics information. The two individuals mentioned above are a asset to this forum and the shooting community.

George
Thank you, I thought I remembered a post about it, but couldn't remember.

look for a forum called long range hunting.
I have heard of it. I'll hopefully get my initial information from here, if I have more questions, I will venture off to there.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
First off, thank you for your input.

I think I would like to stay with .308 for caliber choice. Definitely short action as well. I don't think I want to buy everything separate, "focus your attention and dollars in components in this order: barrel, trigger, reloading setup, scope, stock, action." Like you said, I would like to build off a factory action and barrel as of now. (can always upgrade).

What is your input on the Badger Ordinance? Necessary? Worth it?

Would a stock 700 with the above stock and upgrades then be a good and accurate rifle at the distances I described? How important is the trigger upgrade?
.308 is a lot of fun to shoot, I shoot that myself. Lots of good components for loading accurate .308 as well.

As far as the Remington action and barrel, 700s are good actions and barrels right out of the box, you may not want to replace anything once you get the rifle. Triggers can be worked from stock, or just replaced by an aftermarket unit. It is hard to go wrong with a 700 series in terms of choices, but you do pay a small premium for the action and barrel IMO. A good case in point though - that B&C Medalist A5 profile stock is only available for the R700 action - other Medalist profiles are available for Savage, Winchester, other actions.

For the bottom metal, I guess it depends on if you want the DBM or not. I believe that stock would have to be inlet for the BA bottom metal, it is inlet for BDL hinged floor from the factory. I am no expert on mags, but my impression is the AICS pattern mags are considered top notch, I am not sure if the BA mags are AICS pattern or not, but BA gear seems to have a good reputation.

For the trigger that probably depends on which factory 700 you choose. I do think the 20" barrel is going to give you a significantly larger muzzle blast than a 24" or so, but you do gain a bit of stiffness but lose a small bit of velocity. .308 out of a 16-20" barrel with cheap Russian ammo or something loaded with a powder like H335 is really a treat to watch.

I think you chances of getting an accurate 700 series out of the factory box are very good. If I had to choose the next $500 after my rifle to spend on a stock or a reloading setup and components, I would choose the reloading setup. The stock may improve your accuracy, but you can almost certainly find your rifles optimum load with some experimenting. Even if your rifle shoots FGMM better than anything else, you can load it yourself much cheaper than you can buy it, and the most important thing about shooting accurately is getting the time behind the trigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.