New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
When I see people on blog comments or forums talk about how they're going to shoot first and ask questions later of an intruder I think about how easy it is to be mistaken, just for the second it takes to pull that trigger.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
When I see people on blog comments or forums talk about how they're going to shoot first and ask questions later of an intruder I think about how easy it is to be mistaken, just for the second it takes to pull that trigger.
Yup sucks when in the blink of an eye a hasty decision turns worlds upside down

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I almost shot my step daughter doing the same thing . I heard a noise coming from her room so I sneaked down the hall , opened the door and she was suiting in the window trying to get back into the house . The window was right by the door , I stuck my revolver up her nose then turned on the light ( the switch was behind me ) to my amazement I saw it was her ! I didn't want kill the person but the element of spurious sure woke her up ! I almost went a rampage after I discovered it was her ! Just saying when the light came on and she saw how close she had come to the line ! Her eyes were as big as pizza pans ! We never had another episode of that again ! After that I bought a alarm system for the House too ! It sure changed her outlook !

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
thank goodness she is in stable condition! thats why its so important to identify what your shooting at to make sure if its a friendly or invader.

·
Registered
480 Posts
thank goodness she is in stable condition! thats why its so important to identify what your shooting at to make sure if its a friendly or invader.
That's why I am amazed that many of these stories involve police officers. They, more than anyone (including soldiers), are trained to assess their target before shooting. If he couldn't tell that the person he was aiming at might be his daughter, then he didn't have a good enough picture of his target. It's one thing if you've only got small children in the house and you just left the bed where your wife was sleeping. Then, if you see an adult sized person, they are not from your family. But, if you have a teenager -- who are adult sized and known for doing what they want, when they want -- then you have to be extra certain. Does seem like a good reason to put a flashlight on your bed-side pistol.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Thankfully she's going to be ok it sounds like.

A friend of mine lost a very good friend of his a few years back when he was shot by his own father in the middle of the night while on a trip to the Adirondacks.
Former New York Police Captain Mistakenly Shoots Son - ABC News

The mishap has destroyed the family.

Always be aware of your target and what's beyond.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I almost shot my step daughter doing the same thing . I heard a noise coming from her room so I sneaked down the hall , opened the door and she was suiting in the window trying to get back into the house . The window was right by the door , I stuck my revolver up her nose then turned on the light ( the switch was behind me ) to my amazement I saw it was her ! I didn't want kill the person but the element of spurious sure woke her up ! I almost went a rampage after I discovered it was her ! Just saying when the light came on and she saw how close she had come to the line ! Her eyes were as big as pizza pans ! We never had another episode of that again ! After that I bought a alarm system for the House too ! It sure changed her outlook !
A good pistol whip would've made her think about doing that again lol, just kidding. Glad you had the sense to ID your target before pulling the trigger. My HD guns all have flashlights attached for positive ID and to disorient a target so they are more prone to surrender than attempt to resist. You would think that being a cop he would've shouted a command for them to freeze before firing.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
.... You would think that being a cop he would've shouted a command for them to freeze before firing.
I'm with you on that. Yell, FREEZE, STOP, something! Then hopefully get some response.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
rule number one in my house, if you're coming in late....announce who you are or YOU WILL BE SHOT!!! My son KNOWS this and so does my wife.

My wife is very attentive to this rule. If she is coming into the house after she KNOWS I have gone to sleep, when she opens the door she better say something, because if I wake up and she doesn't say something I automatically assume it's a bad guy and something real bad is about to happen.

Likewise, if I know she will be coming home late, I tend to sleep with one eye open.....just in case someone comes in and I don't recognize the voice. But she better say something or Im going to ruin everyones night

·
Registered
65 Posts
This brings back a tragic memory from years ago. However, in that case the police officer was not as lucky. His daughter was DOA. Gunsick1 is right on the money.

When confronted by an emergency situation, there is fine line when to press that trigger. We train to give verbal comments prior to shooting, but some shooters will shoot without giving any commands. And on the other hand, some people will give a verbal command and they are immediately shot by the perpetrator.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is sad that this happened. But seriously cops gotta stop the "Buck Fever".

Seems like shoot first ask questions later is the norm now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts