New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Ehh, I can see both sides of this one. One one hand, he pointed his gun at police and they shot him, as they should have. On the other hand, they did not identify themselves, so if he has shot and killed them (the armed men of unknown identities as they didn't identify themselves) I should hope he was not charged.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
If things happened the way the article wrote it then its a tragedy and you can't blame the cops.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
This seems wrong, I was almost certain that they are required to identify themselves, when you knock on a door you have your badge out not a weapon, and if no one answers they are supposed to say "NYS Police open up!" or something, this seems like utter bull..... but how do you reprimand anyone? Simple mistake on the wrong apartment, wrong guy answers, but why was he answering with a gun pointed out of the door? Rough part of town? Anyway, the cop who shot him? As the article stated, the guy was already wanted for attempted homicide, he doesn't care about human life, however I do think that the cops SHOULD have had a badge out and in view right underneath the gun pointed at the "bad guy"

This was an unfortunate accident, that was harder then anyone - other then another cop - could understand it was to avoid.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Pointing a gun and pulling the trigger are to different things!The cops should not of shot him under those circumstances.....

·
6,795 Posts
I can understand not identifying themselves. Think about it, they were going after a murder suspect. They dont want to get shot through the door. Also I am assuming they were in a uniform so the guy should of realized who they were. He shouldnt of had the gun pointing at them. Personally I dont answer my door with a gun pointing at the person on the other side. either way if things went down as said in the article the only mistake the police made was going to the wrong apartment.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Read more: Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door | Local News - WESH Home

Who answers the door pointing a weapon?!? Darwinism strikes again.
At 1:30am in the morning, if there is an un-announced knock at my door, you can be damn sure I"ll be opening the door with one hand and have a glock in the other. I doubt he opened the door and immediately pointed the gun. The only people who know what exactly went down are the cops and him, and he's dead...

·
6,795 Posts
At 1:30am in the morning, if there is an un-announced knock at my door, you can be damn sure I"ll be opening the door with one hand and have a glock in the other. I doubt he opened the door and immediately pointed the gun. The only people who know what exactly went down are the cops and him, and he's dead...
I wouldn't be opening my door at that hour unless I knew who it was period. if I were to open the door though and had a pistol then personally I would have the gun out of sight behind the door and I would only crack the door open.

If someone points a gun at LEO then they are going to get shot period.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I wouldn't be opening my door at that hour unless I knew who it was period. if I were to open the door though and had a pistol then personally I would have the gun out of sight behind the door and I would only crack the door open.

If someone points a gun at LEO then they are going to get shot period.
I'm not sure anyone is faulting the cops for SHOOTING HIM. They should be faulting them for NOT IDENTIFYING. What if he shot the armed men at his door? If I open my door and there is someone pointing a gun at me that has not identified themselves, I am shooting. You would not be able to blame him for shooting them either.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Who answers the door pointing a weapon?!? Darwinism strikes again.
This.

I may have a different opinion if they busted down the door but come on, a knock on the door isn't a reason to answer by pointing a gun at the people outside. If you're that worried ask who is there from inside before opening it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You are all judging this based on what the media has reported not the facts. Unfortunately we will never know the facts because the one person who did is dead. Major fail.

·
6,795 Posts
^+1 Jeff
also if they werent in police uniforms then sure if someone had a gun pointed at me when I open door I will shoot them. But that has nothing to do with this situation. Why do they need to identify themselves when knocking on the door? Like said above you can ask who is out there or when you open the door you will see it is the police.

If your worried enough to point your gun at someone who knocks on your door then you probably shouldn't be opening it and call the police. At that point 911 will figure out pretty quick its the police knocking on your door and no one gets shot.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
You are all judging this based on what the media has reported not the facts. Unfortunately we will never know the facts because the one person who did is dead. Major fail.
That's what we have to go with. That is what we ARE judging this on. Yes, he could have been juggling flaming chainsaws when he opened the door, but based on what we have here, my opinion stands.

If your worried enough to point your gun at someone who knocks on your door then you probably shouldn't be opening it and call the police. At that point 911 will figure out pretty quick its the police knocking on your door and no one gets shot.
"Hello? Yes, 911, there is someone banging on my door and I was just wonder...nevermind, they just kicked the door down. Yep, they were bad guys. Send an ambulance, I think I'm dying."

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
That's what we have to go with. That is what we ARE judging this on. Yes, he could have been juggling flaming chainsaws when he opened the door, but based on what we have here, my opinion stands.

"Hello? Yes, 911, there is someone banging on my door and I was just wonder...nevermind, they just kicked the door down. Yep, they were bad guys. Send an ambulance, I think I'm dying."
If they kick in the door without identifying themselves and you are already on the phone with your gun in the other hand, start shooting, as fast as you can.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Darth, First off, no one gives a flying **** what your opinion is. Secondly - I read in the news that Obama is the best president America has ever seen. Don't believe everything you read. There are some crucial details missing in this article also this article is written from one Point of View.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
IfF he pointed the gun at them of course it's justified. We will never know if he he actually had the gun pointed or just had it. At first I thought the mention of drugs was not relevant, however it might be. Maybe he was protecting his stash? The peep hole is your friend (unless your Erin Andrews). If your not sure don't open the door and call 911.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts