New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening gents,

I live in NYC but my family owns about 5 acres of land up in Delaware county NY. I have considered changing my drivers license to the upstate house and applying for a CCW but considering that I don't know anyone up there I doubt I will be able to ever get 4 references.

Considering that maybe I can get a rifle? I was wondering if you could explain to me what the rules are to buying a rifle up there? Do I need to go through a strict application process as well, or can I just go buy one with my drivers license?

I'd love to shoot pistols but I'm thinking worst caae scenario maybe I can have some fun with an ar15.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
To be totally honest, you'd be very lucky to find a gun shop in upstate NY (read: anywhere except the five boroughs) that'll sell to someone that lives in NYC unless you have a rifle/shotgun permit, and even then some shops still won't.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It doesn't matter where he lives. He just can't bring it back into the city without a permit. Any gun shop will sell you a rifle.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
It doesn't matter where he lives. He just can't bring it back into the city without a permit. Any gun shop will sell you a rifle.
You sure about that?

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/31139-buying-long-guns-outside-nyc-nyc-address.html

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/10411-nyc-resident-buying-first-shotgun.html

All gun stores are trying to make a buck, but I know there's also at least a few gun stores that'd like to cover their butts in the process.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
You are going to need 2 proofs of address, a drivers license, and then you fill out the ATF paperwork, they call it in and you should have your rifle within 5 minutes of bringing it to the counter, just make sure you don't bring it to the city with you.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I lived in NYC many years, and moved fulltime to our property in Delaware County. I have had a pistol permit through Delware County for about 7 years. I was allowed to use 2 references from outside delware county, because I was new here. They do check to find out if you a living here. A county sheriff showed up here at our home on a weekday to verify, so they could see if we just were here on the weekends I guess. I use Lynn's Leisure Tyme Gunshop in Davenport. Good people.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lived in NYC many years, and moved fulltime to our property in Delaware County. I have had a pistol permit through Delware County for about 7 years. I was allowed to use 2 references from outside delware county, because I was new here. They do check to find out if you a living here. A county sheriff showed up here at our home on a weekday to verify, so they could see if we just were here on the weekends I guess. I use Lynn's Leisure Tyme Gunshop in Davenport. Good people.
Thorbird, thanks for the information. Do you have to live in Delaware county for a specific amount of time before you can apply? Or are the references enough? I just spoke with my family and we know enough people to get 4 referrals for me.

Someone told me you have to live up there for 6 years before you can apply or something like that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sorry, just got back on and saw your post. I think it was answered. They want Delaware County references, but if new here, will accept, or did accept 2 from another area of NY state. Marilyn the pistol clerk can answer your questions. She's a nice lady. Just spoke with her at The Delaware County fair today and told her I need another coupon soon. Just call her and she'll tell you what you need to know. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, just got back on and saw your post. I think it was answered. They want Delaware County references, but if new here, will accept, or did accept 2 from another area of NY state. Marilyn the pistol clerk can answer your questions. She's a nice lady. Just spoke with her at The Delaware County fair today and told her I need another coupon soon. Just call her and she'll tell you what you need to know. Good luck.
Thanks for the info Thorbird. I was just up in Delhi the other day and didn't think to go in and get an application. I'll be up there again this weekend maybe I can get one then.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I use Lynn's Leisure Tyme Gunshop in Davenport. Good people.
I stumbled upon that place about 10 years ago while just driving thru Delaware. As you stated good people and also very fair deals. I need to get back there soon, they had some nice iron on display.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts